PDA

View Full Version : Getting the JAA CPL or both FAA & JAA CPLs?

Icerman
6th Aug 2007, 05:34
Hello,

I'm currently doing the ATPLs through distance study. My original
plan was to go with the JAA CPL but because of recent delays with
my studies I have started to consider the option of getting the FAA
CPL first.

Would there be any benefit or disadvantage of having the JAA CPL
added on FAA CPL? I have heard the employers in Europe might prefer
a standalone JAA license, is there any truth behind that?

I might seek for employment outside of Europe, that's why I'm interested in the FAA CPL.

Thank you for your comments in advance. :ok:

Regards,
Icer

MIKECR
6th Aug 2007, 07:43
If you do an FAA CPL then you want to 'add on' a JAA CPL as you say, then you will have to do all the ATPL exams. If you just want an FAA CPL then you will need to go and do the FAA syllabus(exams etc). I suggest you need to look a bit more into the licensing aspect of things. Also, an FAA CPL is only use in europe for flying N reg aircraft. To use an FAA CPL in the states then you need to think about work visas etc

coodem
6th Aug 2007, 11:31
If you have a FAA CPL , JAA ME/IR and you hold all 14 JAA ATPL's, what else do you have to do regarding converting the FAA CPL to JAA

SD.
6th Aug 2007, 11:40
coodem : "training as required", 170a and a skills test.

Depending on your experience and knowledge of the local area it can take between 5 and 15 hours.

7E7Flyer
12th Aug 2007, 17:27
Just did my FAA>JAA CPL conversion, took me a little over two hours plus the flight test. But that's because I know the plane involved pretty much by heart... And yes, I did the training and test entirely in UK airspace, following the IR conversion. Didn't fly in the UK before my conversion.

I'd suggest you either go through a full and structured professional pilot program in the U.S., followed by a conversion, or a full program in Europe (both options will probably end up around the same price, no matter how you twist it). That's looked at more favorably by the airlines than picking up you licenses and ratings here and there.

Rob's Dad
12th Aug 2007, 20:18
Now this time 7E7 I concur. Takes no time at all if you have flown the same aircraft in the US and are current (2-3 hours probably).

BigGrecian
14th Aug 2007, 02:33
Interesting views.
I instruct at a school which regularly instructs conversions.
I would NOT recommend conversions.

The good pilots can do it 3-4 hours, however, I have seen more problems with the JAA Commercial from conversions than full courses. (In fact every student I have ever seen referred to a CAA staff examiner, after failing at least twice, has been a FAA> JAA conversion.)

The majority of students would be better just enrolling in a full course. :ugh: (Cheaper as a package than per hour)