PDA

View Full Version : SIA Ground Collision

hangar 9
5th Aug 2007, 17:29
Any information on the rumour about 2 B777 both from sinapore airlines colliding on the tarmac at Changi, both fuelled and loaded with pax?

Grasscarp
5th Aug 2007, 17:31
SINGAPORE -- Two Singapore Airlines planes hit each other's wings while preparing for take-off at the city-state's Changi Airport but no one was injured, the carrier said in a statement Sunday.
"It is reported that the wingtips of two aircraft came into contact while both aircraft were taxiing at low speed," company spokesman Stephen Forshaw said.
Both Boeing 777 aircraft suffered minor damage in the accident early Saturday morning and the passengers were transferred to other aircraft for their flights to Rome and Copenhagen.
The airline gave no details on the number of passengers who were onboard when the incident occurred.
Forshaw said an investigation was underway with pilots of both aircraft assisting the relevant authorities

Rainboe
5th Aug 2007, 18:21
...who were operating the electrodes and current levels whilst they were hanging upside down.

parabellum
5th Aug 2007, 23:59
Now now Rainboe, it was never as bad as that:=;)

faheel
6th Aug 2007, 00:01
One was taxing out of the apron, another pushing back.

411A
6th Aug 2007, 02:04
...who were operating the electrodes and current levels whilst they were hanging upside down.

The respective fleet manager, no doubt...unless of course it was him in one of 'em.:E

ZKSUJ
6th Aug 2007, 04:35
Both were 777-200ER as far as I know

Rainboe
6th Aug 2007, 05:15
I was told right from the beginning 'if you ever hit somebody, for goodness sake make it someone elses and not ours- don't take out two of ours'. Greatest sympathies to both crews, these things happen.
Rainboe (score: 1 IAD baggage truck-plus driver unfortunately )

Capn Bloggs
6th Aug 2007, 05:55
the passengers were transferred to other aircraft
At least they had spare aircraft.

millerscourt
6th Aug 2007, 06:15
Capn Bloggs

On the salaries SIA pay their bog cleaners upwards in Singapore Dollars whilst revenue is mostly in other currencies they can well afford to have spare aircraft.:rolleyes:

skiesfull
6th Aug 2007, 07:05
The electrodes and technique for their usage, were only just obtained from BA after their recent incident!

Rainboe
6th Aug 2007, 10:23
What recent BA incident? The similar pushback collision? As far as I am aware, it was as follows. A320 unable to park on stand due staff not ready and guidance not switched on, so stops partially in. 777 pushback crew pushes and clobbers 320. I think the result will be whenever stand guidance not switched on, aircraft will remain well clear of stand on centreline to make quite clear there is no room. Expect that overloaded place to become a little more congested until staff can be found to turn lights on.

As far as blame, I think it was the pushback crew, so as their union (is it the former TGWU or whatever they call themselves now) is so strong and runs the airport and BA anyway, it will be pat on the back and off you go! The blame will be put down to: 'difficult apron congestion leading to nasty unpleasant pushback conditions on a difficult day and a very big plane!' Electrodes definitely not used.

Arrival delays are such fun.

Farrell
7th Aug 2007, 04:18
Hangar 9: You'd make a great journo!

"Collision" is more of a "fireball, flaming wreckage, no survivors" type of word isn't it?

It was just a prang!

merlinxx
7th Aug 2007, 04:34
Seem to remember seeing those in JED some years ago just inside the main gate at Saudi City!!

Pinkman
7th Aug 2007, 12:23
So, let me guess, you and BA were sued jointly and severally by the Dulles baggage cart driver, his dependants, his employer, OSHA, IAD, NTSB, FAA, & TSA? Do tell.

Rainboe
7th Aug 2007, 17:32
Dark snowy night IAD large apron. Baggage cart tried to dart in front, then decided to chicken out (too late). 4 on F/D, one a CAA inspector (RK), 12 kts. Little lurch felt, decided 'twas icy patch, saw nothing. Parked. G/E appears on FD white faced-' Gee, what did you hit?'....'Que?' #4 engine well scrunched, flashing red lights visible 1/2 mile away- reality hits home. 2 crew ride over to see- baggage cart on side, roof removed by #4, lady driver inside (lying on side) seeing stars, muttering 'I thought it was a DC9!' (it was not...try a 747). Off to hospital. F/O Rainboe (driving), sitting with CAA man, idly looks at cockpit escape rope (actually metal tape) and roof hatch and suggests, to save time, wraps said rope around neck and jumps out of hatch. CAA inspector says 'nah...you live to fight another day!'. Never heard more. Delayed 24 hours whilst very bent cowling repaired and hammered out.
Felt bad for BC driver. Would like to have gone to hosp and brought flowers, but US legal processes so funny and dangerous could not afford any danger of admitting liability. Never heard any more. Still feel guilty at appearing so heartless (yes- Rainboe has a heart.....somewhere). But that's the law for you.

Chronic Snoozer
8th Aug 2007, 06:38
Journo speak: Two fully loaded and fully fueled aircraft collided on the ground sparking fears of another Tenerife.
Pilot speak: They pranged on the tarmac
Management speak: Two company aircraft 'kissed' wings.

2nd observer
8th Aug 2007, 09:05
It happened on 03Aug07 @0110Z (saturday 0110hrs LT)
Both planes full loaded with pax and fuel clipped on their wing tips.
Taxiing at low speed SQ366 to Rome came into contact with a pushing back SQ352 bound for Copenhagen. 420 pax were transferred to other SIA planes. Their journey was delayed by about 3 hours. No one was injured and damage was "minor" at wing tip.

Dani
8th Aug 2007, 14:11
If you taxi along EP now you see that the yellow line is blackened on its original path and repainted 2 meters east of it. It must have been done just lately.

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the taxi incident. The ERs have wider wing spans! And SQ always uses the ERs for the Europe flights departing at 1 after midnight.

Dani

Brix
9th Aug 2007, 21:19
Sack them, immediately!

ACMS
10th Aug 2007, 02:42
DANI: the ER's have wider wingspans wrong
Only the 777-200LR and the 777-300ER have raked wingtips and therefore a little more span, maybe 1 or 2 feet extra each side? All other 777 versions have the same wingspan.
SQ has 777-300ER's with raked wingtips but the a/c involved were 200ER's.
Besides, If you are that close as to worry about extra span then you should stop and get a marshal.

faheel
10th Aug 2007, 12:22
Dunno about a marshall maybe a mashaller would be more usefull :)

ACMS
10th Aug 2007, 13:31
yeah you're correct, I stewed over that one for a while.

sia sniffer
10th Aug 2007, 15:13
SQ pilots rarely look out their windows, and just recently I had a similar incursion by an SQ 777 cutting us up. No doubt it was not worthy of a mention in the lyin city, just as other incidents involving SQ aircraft over the years.

showtime777
10th Aug 2007, 23:22
dont believe the 200-ER has larger wingspan than the 200. Only the 200-LR and the 300-ER have larger winspan than the rest.

hangar 9
10th Aug 2007, 23:56
All of what you say is correct, we will have to wait for official report to know reason for contact.

200LR and 300 ER wing span 212 ft 7 in
200, 300 and 200 ER wing span 199 ft 11 in

12 ft ..... two body lengths quite a good distance.

Worth considering wrong side of aircraft for a wing walker, everyone doing push out would have been blind sided by aircraft turning. Responsibility would have to have been with the taxiing aircraft.

allthatglitters
11th Aug 2007, 04:04
Sounds like the headset man on push back aircraft will be spoken too.

hangar 9
12th Aug 2007, 00:44
Oh I see where you are coming from " allthatglitters' Because everything points to the engineer NOT being responsible and the Pilot or airtaffic control being liable then the Engineer will wear the blame.

faheel
12th Aug 2007, 03:31
"SQ pilots rarely look out their windows, and just recently I had a similar incursion by an SQ 777 cutting us up. No doubt it was not worthy of a mention in the lyin city, just as other incidents involving SQ aircraft over the years"
What an idiotic statement this is !
:*

24th Aug 2007, 06:23
Does any "true" T-7 drivers out there care to comment on whether they can see the wing-tips from the cockpit.?
Without winding down the cockpit windows that is.
:cool:
Please dun mention the cameras as they do not have a view of the wing tips
either. :mad:

gengis
24th Aug 2007, 06:31
you cant see your wingtips on 777. unlike the 747-400

islandjumper
24th Aug 2007, 07:56
Has there been any official explanation for the fender-bender?

anartificialhorizon
24th Aug 2007, 08:10
From the net:

On 19 April 2005, a Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-200ER stopped 194 meters (640 feet) beyond a painted stop line at Bangkok International Airport. Its left wing tip was clipped by a Thai Airways International Airbus A330-300 taxiing for take-off

Anyone remember this one?

Charlie_Fox
24th Aug 2007, 13:20
or SQ B747-400F hits Royal Air Maroc B737-500 at Brussels
11th September 2006.

Left Coaster
24th Aug 2007, 13:26
Royal Air Maroc proven after investigation to be in the wrong. So put that one away...closed item.

parabellum
25th Aug 2007, 06:11
Excuse me Gengis but from the LHS of a B747-400 you can see the number one engine and the wing tip! Honest!:)

gengis
25th Aug 2007, 06:48
that's what i meant - on 747-400 you CAN see your wingtips (& yes the outboard engine too), unlike on the 777 you can't.

parabellum
25th Aug 2007, 10:46
Sorry Gengis, I completely misread that, my mistake!:uhoh: