PDA

View Full Version : General comitee vote

Hoolio
5th Aug 2007, 08:58
In the history of Cathay, we have seen several GC's and more importantly AOA presidents. The entire tone of the AOA is dictated by the people we elect. Lets discuss the current GC election on this forum, because unlike the AOA site, PPRUNE is anonymous.

Don't use names, just use the number next to the name on the voting ballot when you are referring to somebody. ie I know #xx is a good guy, but number yy is pushing this agenda so he can get a base etc

Most of the AOA voting members I have talked to don't have a clue what anyones politics are on the ballot and some healthy discussion would be of benefit to everyone. Just leaving the status quo makes it really easy for the current GC to stay in power, but I am not so sure they are a good cross section representation of the pilot group.

Thoughts?

Numero Crunchero
5th Aug 2007, 09:31
I'm in it for the money;-)

Feel free to cross my name off - I wouldn't mind a quiet year.

Cant say my name, but NOTOC code for flammable liquids would be close.

404 Titan
5th Aug 2007, 09:56
Numero Crunchero

Too late. I already know your thoughts on most of these things so I’ve made sure your year's a busy one Cpt RFL.:ok::p

jtr
5th Aug 2007, 10:19
Laugh, NC you have been the only person on this forum who I actually thought I had identified and you just confirmed it.

Numero Crunchero
5th Aug 2007, 10:51
I havent been able to post for last 2 months as the company knows who I am and it would have been a conflict of interest whilst negotiations were ongoing.

canuck revenger
4th Sep 2007, 03:36
Good work on the committee. I appreciate you guys taking the position with the company that you did. Respect

SAD
4th Sep 2007, 16:16
NC did you not resign and rejoin the AOA a few years ago?

jtr
4th Sep 2007, 20:13
Badgering you Honour?

Numero Crunchero
5th Sep 2007, 01:29
Yes I did. I think it was in 2003. I told ND that I thought he shouldn't be pres any more as CX was using him as the excuse for not negotiating. My philosophy is that the AOA is bigger than any individual...the president is just one person with one vote on the GC. ND disagreed with my view and remained as president. When MAG won I rejoined.

Your point is????

Midnight Rambler
5th Sep 2007, 07:59
So, NC, what did you think of the presdency of MAG? Did you not think the company were using it for their own ends as well?

Btw, I agree that ND's presidency left a lot to be desired and there is a lot it could account for. Benefit of hindsight though, as I have to confess to being part of the 93% that voted for LIA. I hasten to add that I don't want this to go into a lengthy discussion (slanging match) about the relative merits of past (or present) presidents but I would be interested to hear your views on MAG's since you served on his committee.

Numero Crunchero
6th Sep 2007, 06:13
Midnight rambler,
I believe we vote( or not vote) for the president we want at the time. I know CX didn't want Nigel - Ted had told us he was resigning as president and then next thing he was suddenly running against Nigel. I don't know why - was it that he decided he could do a better job than Nigel - did the company ask him - who knows - he never told me. But in the end we all decided we wanted to vent 7 years of frustration with CX by voting in Nigel. He was the man for the times - he represented the general level of angst.

After the 49ers/2001 etc I think people were 'industrially weary' so we voted in MAG. With MAG at the helm we tried the 'bend over' approach and after 3-4 years of cooperation we are now reaping the benefits (sarcasm alert!). I don't know MAG very well...and I was never on the GC at the same time as him. But I do think it rather strange that he had a year+ off work on full pay whilst he was AOA president. The rest of us get 126days!

Whether you want conciliation/co-operation or confrontation is up to you...we are simply your representatives. I have been getting a lot of feedback that people want contract compliance at the very least after the last parsimonious pay offer. Speak up and say what you want or the GC will have to guess for you!

Mr. Bloggs
6th Sep 2007, 07:05
Do you really need the AOA to tell you not to work G days, not to fly the freighter, don’t answer you phone, not to use discretion, acknowledging roster changes on crew direct, answer your phone before a reserve duty starts, show up at your original duty time, divert if low on fuel, etc.

Surely the pilots are smarter and don’t have to be told. But then again...................

How many time do you have to get shafted by Crew Control or Scheduling? I guess many, some still don’t realize it.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

But I get to request a trip to LAX 80 days in advance.:ugh: