PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Reporting In Australia.

Matt-YSBK
5th Aug 2007, 08:21
I just watched Channel Nines report on the restrictions on airspace over Sydney during APEC and counted at least 5 inaccuracy compared to the beefing we got from the Defence force and Police the other week at the Bankstown Sports Club. If they cant even report something that is clearly stated in the AIP/SUP how the hell are they expected to report anything after an accident or other situation. I know that i should not expect mutch from these scare mongering fools but i just needed to vent.

Sorry.

aussie027
5th Aug 2007, 08:35
Agreed, go ahead and vent, the LAMESTREAM MEDIA is called that by many for a reason:ugh::ugh:

The old maxim " Never let the facts get in the way of a good story" is alive and well.
The reporters who usually know Sweet F@#k All about aviation don't even try to consult with someone in the know to try and get their facts, terms correct and then come across to people in the know as completely ill informed and as sages to Joe Public who doesnt know any better and believes everything the media says.:uhoh::{:ugh:

Arm out the window
5th Aug 2007, 09:43
I just watched Channel Nines (Nine's) report on the restrictions on airspace over Sydney during APEC and counted at least 5 inaccuracy (inaccuracies) compared to the beefing (briefing) we got from the Defence force (Force) and Police the other week at the Bankstown Sports Club. If they cant (can't) even report something that is clearly stated in the AIP/SUP how the hell are they expected to report anything after an accident or other situation. I know that i (I) should not expect mutch (much) from these scare mongering fools but i (I) just needed to vent.

Sorry.

Creampuff
5th Aug 2007, 10:33
I agree with your (implicit) point AOTW.

Matt: You comprehend no problem in posting a message that is replete with grammatical errors on PPRuNe, because you consider that those errors are not relevant to the message you are trying to get across. That’s precisely the attitude of the reporters about which you complain.

For example, if 3 people are reported dead in ‘a six seater Cessna 172’ after a ‘death plunge’, the fact that the aircraft was really a four seater Piper, and really had an unfortunate end to a perfect forced landing, are facts that are not considered by the journalist to relevant to the underlying message and the intended audience: aircraft + dead people.

You’ll have a much better chance of making them get it right if you get it right.

kiwiblue
5th Aug 2007, 10:46
The standard of aviation reporting is by no-means unique to Australia. From what I've seen, it's pretty much the same the world over -and by no means limited to just aviation either... if you get my drift.

Sensationalism + over-hyped rhetoric = newspapers sold. Simple really.

Matt-YSBK
5th Aug 2007, 11:19
AOTW:
You are correct. Spelling has never been a strong point of mine. Just as well I am not a Journalist.

Matt.