PDA

View Full Version : Trackmark Ltd

Slasher
13th Nov 2000, 05:15
Ive seen the Discovery Channel documentary called "Wings Over Africa" which focused on a mob called Trackmark Ltd, based at Chockiloggio ("Loggichockie") in Kenya. Trackmark fly UN-relief aid over the Sudan and other problem areas. Its run by a Heather Stewart ("all-weather Heather").
That kind of bush flying is exactley what I want to do because Ive just about had a bloodey gutful of commercial airline flying. I cant find anything about Trackmark in any search engine and was hoping one of you might have a contact address or tel/fax. I know they take Aussies because the documentary featured a Buffalo Ozmate crew.

Any info apreciated. Thanks.

Max Torque
13th Nov 2000, 11:41
Slash - you really want to do this?
I don't have Trackmarks number at Wilson Airport in Nairobi, but I do have the number of the tower there. Its 00 254 2 501216. They will have the number - if the phone is working.
Trackmark fly Twotters and Grand Caravans, and something else a bit larger, but I can't remember what. Loki is an interesting place and Southern Sudan is fascinating flying, as long as you can have a break every now and again. You will need to validate your ATPL to Kenyan, but I'm sure Trackmark will explain that to you.
Good luck mate.

mt

Slasher
13th Nov 2000, 12:24
Thanks Max. Thats a start anyway.
Yeh Ive had a hankering to return to bush flying. Im fed up with the crap with modern day airline flying and these days I hardley get any satisfaction from it. Ive flown 747s, 727s, 737s etc with various companys and the crap is always the same, its only the logo and pilot cap that changes: the beancounters, managers, crawlers, etc are out to screw you one way or another. And Im also fed up to my armpits with computerised aircraft and EFIS, and aircraft in the future are set to get more computerised. For me it takes away my satisfaction of flying. I feel more like a push-button monkey.
I know that a documentary may paint a different picture to reality, but it looks like a friendly close-knit operation where a beer and "War story of today" is shared at the bar with the boss and troops.
Im still single and can rough it. In a year or so Ill have made enough out of this racket to live comfortabley so wages are not my priority.
As a side Im also sick and tired using my skills just to make some rich bloodey idiot richer. For some reason (mid-life crisis? turning 40? getting older? lack of sex? all of the above?) I want to start using my talents for something more important, like helping some poor disadvantaged pack of decent people (who didnt deserve the sh!t there in) the world doesnt care a crap about.
The doc also featured a DH Buffalo and C130 Max. Wether those aircraft are still there I dont know.

Keep new replys rolling in. All will be very apreciated.

Master Warning!
13th Nov 2000, 20:04
Hi Slasher, if you want to do that kind of flying, why don't you try Transafrik. They fly a lot of 727's and a couple of C-130's here in Angola. They fly a lot of hours and T've heard that they pay quite well! Unfortunately I can't help you with a contact, because you almost never see the guys on the ground, they're always flying!! But I'm sure somebody here can help you with that. Btw there is also a Buffalo here flying for the UN from Lobito, with a kenyan registration I believe. Good luck!

cheers MW! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Bob Hawke
14th Nov 2000, 02:17
Jeeez slasher, are you over it? I saw the same show, and I must admit I liked it to. Trouble is I am bloody stuck on the Otters now and forever. But a change of scenery would be nice. I'm busting my butt to get to your cockpit, whilst you obviously want mine.
Lets do a mutual swap for about 3 yrs.

Let me know how you go if anyone contacts you. I too would like to find out some more information. It was a damn nice area to fly.

Oh, if you keep this up, you could be up for a Sainthood.

Max Torque
14th Nov 2000, 08:09
Slash,
if you have that kind of experience, and you want to try Sudan, and you want to do something really fun, go and fly the Buffalo. For my money, thats the funniest aircraft of them all. There are two of them in Loki that I know of, one flys for the Red Cross (ICRC) and is operated by a bunch from Zim called Sky Relief - a nicer bunch of people you could not hope to meet. The other one is operated by a bunch called AIS/Trident (I think) who fly for the UN - don't know that much about them.
I fly Beech 200's and Beech 1900's, and they are nice planes, but the Buffalo is truly the biz. I don't know any contact numbers for these two outfits, but I will try and dig a bit if you are interested.
And you are dead right - flying a couple of tons of tarps and vaccines, food, whatever, is quite satisfying at the end of the day. Going back to Loki with a bunch of medevacs can be a bit heavy on the nose sometimes, but it has its rewards too.
On the subject of C130 ops, there is also a South African bunch called SAFAIR who fly out of Loki for the UN and do airdrops.

mt

Whenwe
14th Nov 2000, 09:58
You sound like an ideal candidate for Safair. Very well run outfit and I love the Herc.
Goodluck
ww

Komba
15th Nov 2000, 10:08
Slasher,

I worked for Trackmark for 4 years. They were a fantastic company, in 1997 / 98 they had 14 aircraft operating out of Lokichoggio into Sudan, 208 B's, DC3TP, HS748, DHC - 5, DHC - 6 and a King air 200.
When things quietened down in 99 they cut back to 3 Caravans and a Twin Otter.

End of 99 was very tough for them, they are now only operating one Caravan and have only 2 pilots, one of whom is the owner Heather Stewart.

Lokichoggio is very quiet now, WFP has cut back by 40%, contract work is slow and the ad hock / charter flying for non OLS (Operation Lifeline Sudan) operations is more Antonovs and Andovers.

SAFAIR and Transafrik are both operating Herc's out of Loki still, Queensway and Transworld are operating the Caravans on contract to WFP.

If you are interested in contract flying contact Rossair Kenya, they are looking for 1900, DHC - 6 and DC3TP pilots.

Good luck.

Komba
15th Nov 2000, 10:28
Slasher,

Some numbers:

Trident (DHC - 5)
+ 254 2 727445/6

AIS (DHC - 5)
+ 254 2 603009

Rossair (1900, DC3TP etc.)
+ 254 2 601821

Sky Relief (DHC - 5 "A" model)
+ 263 4 302350

Transafrik (C130, 727)
+ 254 2 534018

Transworld (C208 b, Citation, BE200)
+ 254 2 604316

Good luck again, but keep in mind - things are slow!

Slasher
18th Nov 2000, 06:14
Thanks for all your replys and emails. Very much apreciated indeed!

Slash

Bob Hawke
18th Nov 2000, 08:42
So Slash,

When are you leaving?

Mid life crisis is a wonderful thing.

ATR Driver.
18th Nov 2000, 13:43
Slasher,

Got my arse shot off in Sth Sudan in the early 90's in an Otter. Couldn't recommend a more exciting pilot position (without signing up to the SPLA).

Thinking back...I remember two pilots (Otter) who were captured and held hostage for 2 weeks in Sth Sudan. When they were released and returned to LOKI they sent a Telex to the Office saying they were..."safe and ready to leave country for a well deserved break".

They received the following reply... "Great to hear you are both well, request you extend your stay due personnel requirements. Return to Sth Sudan, as per daily sched, tommorow, thanks".

Some days are diamonds, you know the rest!

Good luck mate, Africa is something every pilot should experience once in there careers, IMHO.

Cheers,
ATR.

Cardinal Puff
18th Nov 2000, 14:10
G'day Slash

just got in from Loki a few days back and Trackmark really quiet. Air of depression seems to pervade. Try Sky Relief in Zim, Rossair Kenya or at Lanseria in South Africa (+27-11-701-3500) or Trans Afrik. Fun place if you're with the right crowd. Good Luck Mate!!

Metro man
18th Nov 2000, 14:55
Trouble with this kind of work is money is good while it lasts , but you never know for how long. Most contracts are short term and the on going ones have little notice required to cancel ,like two weeks.You can never be sure if your job will still be there when you return from holidays.

Operational standards and maintenance can leave a lot to be desired.Dealing with corrupt airport staff can be frustrating , some of them think they are doing you a favour by letting you operate.

Life style can vary from better than at home ,to pretty miserable.

Flying is great but can be dangerous , you may be shot at and some of the strips can be mined.

The pilots in this sort of situation are often heavy drinkers or have been fired from their last job ,most of those that aren't are looking to move on to airlines ASAP.

Been there ,done that ,would do it again if I had to but would rather aim for a decent airline job any day.

wizzflight
19th Nov 2000, 18:17
Workpermit, workpermit!

There are jobs out there, but getting the workpermit is the real problem. Sometimes the company can try to arrange it for you, but it is better to have your own permit. Not easy from Kenya, but it can be done (legally or with a little 'help').

Trackmark and others not doing so well as aid money is drying up and services and being rationalized.

P.S. Does anyone know if Regional Air is going to survive? I heard they are about to collapse.

Herc Jerk
22nd Dec 2000, 20:42
Hey Metro Man,

Go easy there shags...

Remember that it takes all kinds. If airlines are your thing, well and good. But try not to give generalized opinions about "the Dark Continent" to someone who may not have seen it yet.

There is good maintenance and bad. And the majority are NOT unemployable alcoholics.

Some dance to a different tune than airlines. Makes it neither good nor bad- just is.

Hasta Luego, Compadre.

B727
23rd Dec 2000, 19:36
Trackmark now reduced to 01 x Caravan.
'Mummy' is doing the flying herself !!

Rgds
B727

B Sousa
25th Dec 2000, 18:56
Should you make it to Wilson Nairobi, make sure you have a Tuskers at the Aero Club. I miss that place.

Airspeed
25th Dec 2000, 21:07
Sounds like a useful endeavor for someone that is both B-727 and CE-208 qualified and an instructor on both pieces of equipment.
Just so happens I hold both designations. Any offers just email me. Thanks