PDA

View Full Version : Navy Pilot

afterburner2
4th Aug 2007, 20:11
I would be grateful if anyone could give me some info on the navy that I can't read via a google search. ie, as a pilot in training, if I didn't like the training/got airsick etc, at what stage could I leave? And how many deployments a year do pilots usually go on?
Realistically, what are the chances of getting fastjets?
As you can all imagine, joining the military is a huge commitment, so these are questions I have to ask to be sure it's the right thing to do.

thepurplepheonix
4th Aug 2007, 20:25
See "Joining the Military As A Pilot" at the top of this page.

Tourist
4th Aug 2007, 20:39
Leaving is very easy if you don't enjoy it.
The Royal Navy very rarely deploys, an average of one 2 week deployment during a 2 year tour, not counting caribean cocktail parties which are an unavoidable duty. (one a month on average)
We need people just like you for our fast jets, so there should not be a problem.

thepurplepheonix
4th Aug 2007, 20:53
:D:D:D:D:D

Outstanding!

airborne_artist
5th Aug 2007, 11:11
Welcome to the hotel california
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the hotel california
Any time of year, you can find it here

So I called up the captain,
’please bring me my wine’
He said, ’we haven’t had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine’
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!

You asked much the same question (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3233225#post3233225) in April - haven't you made your mind up?

afterburner2
5th Aug 2007, 14:36
No I haven't decided yet. I really want to join but I have a wife and as you can imagine it is a big decision as we're both involved.
That's why i need to ask for some real insight, which i need.
What I don't need is smart ass, riddle replies from people that think they're better than me or i'm not good enough or care enough etc. No-one knows my situation, so I would appreciate some honest answers thankyou.

R 21
5th Aug 2007, 14:59
Afterburner2

I will give you a straight answer,
THE NAVY DONT HAVE ANY FAST JETS ANYMORE!!!!!!:E

samuraimatt
5th Aug 2007, 14:59
so these are questions I have to ask to be sure it's the right thing to do.

At the end of the day only you can decide what is best for you and your wife. As you said nobody on here will appreciate your situation so how can they advise you accordingly. You won't get any insight as to what being in the military is really like from a forum like this. Why not pop along to the AFCO and speak to them.

airborne_artist
5th Aug 2007, 15:07
What I don't need is smart ass, riddle replies from peopleNo, you don't, because you should have done your research much earlier. If you'd asked the ACLO for a potential officers' course at Culdrose or Yeovilton you would have had the opportunity to ask people who have been through the system and are serving. However, you didn't, and that may be the fault of the ACLO, for not getting you a place.

So - here is the outline:

One year at Dartmouth - including the middle term of three at sea. Unaccompanied throughout BRNC.

Four weeks survival course.

Twenty six weeks at Cranwell/Barkston EFT

Then either

RW

Twenty four weeks at Shawbury RW BFT

Followed by Lynx, 36 weeks or Commando 34 weeks at Yeovilton or 48 weeks ASW Merlin at Culdrose. Total for Lynx 130 weeks from start, 125 for Commando and 145 for ASW Merlin.

FW

40 weeks Tucano at Linton followed by 26 weeks at Valley followed by 40 weeks at Wittering. Total 145 weeks.

No chance of any deployment until completion of the above, all of which assume no hold-overs.

After that, take pot luck, and hope that Gordon's plans for global domination are slightly less than Tone's.

As I said in my reply in April, as did others, it's not very wife-friendly, and you will be in a minority of one. Your attendance at Friday night activities will be just as important as your effort during the week, and you won't get any support from your course mates if you are off home to wifey at 17.01 every day.

afterburner2
5th Aug 2007, 15:09
samuraimatt and R 21, thanks for your posts.
However, R 21, can you elaborate please. As what about the JFH and the new F-35 along with the new aircraft carriers?

samuraimatt
5th Aug 2007, 15:13
Afterburnner you have said in your earlier posts that you have been accepted as a pilot in the Navy. How come you are leaving it until this point to ask questions like this?

afterburner2
5th Aug 2007, 15:22
I'm basically asking for my wife. I don't think she appreciated the extend of what I was applying for. I can tell her what I know, as for how long/where the training takes place etc, but what I can't tell her is what life will be like day to day. Such things as where will we both stay, will she get to spend weekends/time with me during my training, what if she can't handle it, could I get out?( i know what replies I'll get to this, but most people would do anything for their loved ones, am I wrong?)

airborne_artist
5th Aug 2007, 15:28
You can leave up to award of wings with no notice and only repay the costs of the uniform issued to you. Once wings are awarded there is a return of service commitment which used to be five years, but may now be different.

My advice would be to ring the ACLO in the morning, and ask them to get onto it. It's partly their problem, and they should be able to help you sort it out.

The first year will be the worst, and there really is very little time off, even at weekends, though you will get block leave, roughly in line with school holidays, probably two weeks at Christmas and Easter, and three in the summer if you have a summer leave while still at BRNC. There will also be block leave or something like it at the flying training establishments.

Always a Sapper
5th Aug 2007, 15:43
At the end of the day only you can decide what is best for you and your wife. As you said nobody on here will appreciate your situation so how can they advise you accordingly. You won't get any insight as to what being in the military is really like from a forum like this. Why not pop along to the AFCO and speak to them.

Call me cynical and all, but since when has the AFCO ever given anyone a really full & true insight on life in HM's Forces.... ???

As much as folks on here can give hints, tips and personal experiences on the job and there are some good posts out there on the subject if you go and look. There is really only one person who knows if the life is for you, and that kiddo is YOU! and IMHO the only real way to find out is to give it a go...

If you then find you like the life and I really believe, all said and done it is a good one then you are well on your way to a good career and all the fun that goes with it.

If not? then you wont have wasted your time, hopefully you will have picked up some habits and a 'sense of duty' on the way that will set you above the 'pack' in whatever career you do finally decide upon.

If I was asked to describe being in the mil? I would probably say something like 50% mundane but good, 25% excitement and 25% full on wow, that was a buzz...

As to deployments? they will come, after all its part and parcel of the job etc, you dont join HM's finest to sit at home doing the knitting.... if thats what you want, then I would suggest trying the WI. Further career advice could possibly be found here Clicky Clicky (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Newfront2.html) :E

Whatever you choose, afterburner2 I wish you luck in your choice.

and NO the link is not to the WI ....

Always a Sapper
5th Aug 2007, 15:46
Another thought.... no kids? then why not get the wife to join as well?

ok... ok..... I know, coat, hat & door, taxi has already been called......

texdcd
5th Aug 2007, 15:49
AB2,

I've been in the USAF for 18 years and married for 19 to the same woman. Our ops tempo has been high since I can remember. My question is this something you really want to do? This sounds harsh, but I tell the youngsters that you should never pick an assignment because of a piece of a**...your marriage is going to work or it's not! I've seen bros who have done this to please their wives and it was the biggest mistake they've made...it still ended in divorce! It sucks when you end up pushing paper and dealing with a "beotch" and her man-hating female lawyer. We've had many a friend over listening to them cry over their beers about what they should have done with their lives. If you keep your d*ck in your pants when your deployed and your wife is not a needy, self-centered troll, things will be just fine! Sorry for sounding so caustic, but this is the reality of the work we choose!

Tex

texdcd
5th Aug 2007, 16:08
AB2,

I can't imagine the UK pilot training being too much different than ours. You're home every night...with a few exceptions, and weekends...with a few exceptions. You crack the books during the day when not briefing/flying, minimalizing the "BS" with the bros when not briefing/flying, will all lead to more time with the wife at night. Get her involved with the wives clubs if she is not employed with a career. Doesn't the Brits allow the wives into the club after the Squadron functions on Fridays? Hec...you could one-up your bros because you'll be going home with a hotty while your single classmates go home to snap-the-bean! This should be the easiest assignment, in regards to a repetitive home life, as you could get!

Tex

vecvechookattack
5th Aug 2007, 17:03
not counting caribean cocktail parties which are an unavoidable duty. (one a month on average)

Gawd, how I wish....the last Carib deployment I did had 17 CTP in 3 months.....Mind blowing

afterburner2
5th Aug 2007, 18:08
Thanks everyone. Those were the kinds of answers we needed.
As for "the navydoesn't have any fast jets any more". Have I missed something?????

rodan
5th Aug 2007, 18:15
Which fast jets do you think the RN has, then?

vecvechookattack
5th Aug 2007, 18:32
Is a Hawk a fast jet?

But I imagine the FA 2 is a fast jet and the Navy have a few of those...do they count?

afterburner2
5th Aug 2007, 18:40
The Navy has the GR 7a/9, part of the Joint Force Harrier. and in 2012 ish the first delivery of the JSF will begin. I was told at the AFCO that following this there would be an increase in the need for fast jet pilots?
Am I mistaken?

SirToppamHat
5th Aug 2007, 19:12
Sorry guys, but I smell a Walt here. Look at his other posts.

afterburner2

If you genuinely have been accepted for RN, I am astonished at your lack of knowledge (and that the AIB didn't suss you out).

Don't worry too much about the trg ... you won't last long.

STH

afterburner2
5th Aug 2007, 19:23
"Lack of knowledge"??? What am I missing?
Have, or haven't the Navy got fast jets?

airborne_artist
5th Aug 2007, 19:26
We are led to believe that today's AIB asks some questions about your likely progression through the system and the Service.

It seems surprising that you are asking these questions at this stage. If it wasn't for your quite good English I'd suspect you were Alexluis (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3454093&postcount=2121) in another guise.

Jackonicko
5th Aug 2007, 20:04
The Navy have half of the Harrier GR.Mk 7/9 force. They are supposed to man two of the four squadrons, but can't do so.

Other threads would give you a good idea as to why this was unrealistic, and why the RN is recruiting like there was no tomorrow.

Three RAF Squadrons (24 pilots per squadron at their peak, with plenty of other Harrier mates doing other things - Red Arrows, instructing, etc) and two RN Squadrons (8 pilots per squadron, many of them on exchange from elsewhere) combined to form JFH.

What should the proportion RN:RAF have been?

The unkind might say that you are proof positive that the RN are letting through inferior candidates in order to fill slots.

Others might suggest that your lack of basic study into the career you plan to follow would indicate a lack of whole-hearted and serious commitment without which you are doomed to fail.

You and your wife should know that if you confound expectations and succeed the next few years will be very, very hard for both of you, and that she'll need to be supportive beyond her years, and very understanding, because she'll see very little of you, and when she does, you'll be maxed out and probably knackered.

Tourist
5th Aug 2007, 20:23
Ooohh Jacko,
Nice little dig at the RN there, but I thought this was an abuse the wannabe thread?

Jackonicko
5th Aug 2007, 21:04
I got my abuse of the wannabe in, too, Tourist. Versatile, that's me.

And I answered the question, too..... :eek:

samuraimatt
5th Aug 2007, 21:11
When do you start at BRNC afterburnner?

AirDawg
5th Aug 2007, 21:44
FWIW and a little humor, the USN vs. USAF pilot question:

http://www.f-14association.com/stories-12.htm (http://www.f-14association.com/stories-12.htm)

scottishbeefer
13th Aug 2007, 13:14
Shocking lack of knowedge of FAA deployment patterns and aircraft types here!

OFBSLF
13th Aug 2007, 13:51
As for "the navydoesn't have any fast jets any more". Have I missed something?????Yes you have, it would appear...

afterburner2
13th Aug 2007, 14:50
What do you call 800, 801 squadrons then????????

ExRAFRadar
13th Aug 2007, 14:58
Flights ? :ouch:

ExRAFRadar
13th Aug 2007, 15:01
Sections ? :ouch: :ouch:

cobaltfrog
13th Aug 2007, 15:02
Afterburner2
Good question asked previously, when do you start at BRNC?

LateArmLive
13th Aug 2007, 16:00
Haven't heard of them. Didn't they use to make up the RN Historic Flight?

afterburner2
13th Aug 2007, 18:44
Why do you tossers bother with this forum if you are just going to take the piss.

wobble2plank
13th Aug 2007, 20:04
afterburner2
Navy Pilot
Why do you tossers bother with this forum if you are just going to take the piss.

Ouch, if you can't play with the banter you are heading into a world of trouble!

:ouch:

I didn't think our version of JSF had been built yet? Hawks belong to FRADU and we are 'borrowing' the mud moving Harriers from the Crabs (not much fleet defence from those beasties).

Go Purple, Go purple...... now

:E

WeaselRN
15th Aug 2007, 23:43
Young Afterburner is completely correct, you are all a bunch of unhelpful tossers.

Tourist
16th Aug 2007, 07:44
Did you write my ojar?:confused:

D O Guerrero
16th Aug 2007, 15:45
Amazing... Afterburner, don't let the wankers on here put you off. I don't recognise them from the Navy I know.
And for those that claim that he doesn't know anything - at least he knew that the RN has fast jets, which seems to be more than some have figured out...

OCCWMF
17th Aug 2007, 08:00
I thought an a/c had to be supersonic to be called a fast jet (not all of the Hawk goes super iirc). Harrier, flown by fish or crab is therefore a slow jet.

orca
17th Aug 2007, 13:07
AB2, technically the RN doesn't 'have' any fast jets. It commands people who fly jets commanded by someone else.

The JFH harriers are all 'owned' by 1 Gp, who are RAF. They are the operating authority and have all meaningful levels of command and control over them. The RN was, as was correctly stated, supposed to joint man JFH but couldn't. Again the overall reason for this is as previously spelt out....the FAA had relatively few FJ pilots, did nothing to stem the out-flow, not much to improve the in-flow, and was left with what it started with.

At the moment the RN 'has' the Naval Strike Wing....which is basically 800 NAS augmented by some people wearing 801 NAS badges. Essentially the RN will continue to appoint people to 801, but it doesn't really exist as a unit, it's a 'budget line' for manpower planners etc.

The aspiration for a four squadron construct still exists, but whether or not it will ever happen is open to debate. To generalise massively, dark blue policy makers want four squadrons, light blue chaps want three......anyone below the rank of Wg Cdr/ Cdr doesn't care and just wants to get on with business. (Which the chaps are very good at.)

Summary, yes you can fly FJ within JFH, on a FAA squadron, but the RN neither owns nor commands the aeroplanes.

Should this appear in anyway incoherent or confusing...welcome to the party!

Edmund Spencer
20th Aug 2007, 09:14
Who says you can't make the Sea Jet go supersonic!

chieftiff
20th Aug 2007, 18:54
The JFH harriers are all 'owned' by 1 Gp, who are RAF. They are the operating authority and have all meaningful levels of command and control over them. The RN was, as was correctly stated, supposed to joint man JFH but couldn't. Again the overall reason for this is as previously spelt out....the FAA had relatively few FJ pilots, did nothing to stem the out-flow, not much to improve the in-flow, and was left with what it started with.

At the moment the RN 'has' the Naval Strike Wing....which is basically 800 NAS augmented by some people wearing 801 NAS badges. Essentially the RN will continue to appoint people to 801, but it doesn't really exist as a unit, it's a 'budget line' for manpower planners etc.

The aspiration for a four squadron construct still exists, but whether or not it will ever happen is open to debate. To generalise massively, dark blue policy makers want four squadrons, light blue chaps want three......anyone below the rank of Wg Cdr/ Cdr doesn't care and just wants to get on with business. (Which the chaps are very good at.)

Summary, yes you can fly FJ within JFH, on a FAA squadron, but the RN neither owns nor commands the aeroplanes.

Ah! The beauty of jointery.

Pontius Navigator
20th Aug 2007, 19:24
A fast-jet is an aircraft where you have to fly fast to get to the toilet as it is not big enough for a bathroom, galley or dining room. :}

tangoe
23rd Aug 2007, 10:52
My initial reaction is that you do not know enough, therefore you are not committed enough and you do not deserve to join and take the space of someone that is.

However I will engage my more helpful side along with the other 'tossers' who have aired their concerns and doubts.

If you are worried about being sick or when you can voluntary retire (volret or leave), you shouldnt join

If you are worried about being away from your wife, you should a)not join or b) join the RAF

If you do not know whether the RN has fast jets or not. Actually Im not sure how to politely answer that one.

If you dont realise that you will have 2 marriages and that your 1st one will be the least well served. If you cannot take the banter, the criticism etc. If you have not done your homework to the extent that you are sure in your knowledge that this is the hardest possible thing you are ever likely to do requiring 100% commitment. If these questions along with 'can i kill or be killed' and am i happy with what happens on tour, stays on tour and many more are not top of your agenda, you need to start from the beginning.

If I were still serving I would have the name of your 'liaison officer' however. Get yourself down to Culdrose, by appointment. Spend some time in the wardroom, talk to the guys and girls, see the atmosphere, fun, trepidation, intensity, professionalism, commitment and the officers and the 'gentlemen'

I am inclined to believe your questions are genuine, your commitment I am not!

onthebumline
23rd Aug 2007, 14:34
Mate,

The type of banter you have been on the recieving end of is indentical to that you would experience every day if you made it through the training system. If it does not fit with you and you find it irritating then you should definately not join the navy. I can confirm that most of my colleagues could be described as tossers or wankers if you did not have a think enough skin to take the banter. You on the other hand seem to be positioned firmly in the bellend camp and i feel that you should take your short fuse and your large cheque to the airlines for some ego-fuelled **** flying.

yours
otbl

ExRAFRadar
23rd Aug 2007, 15:58
otbl get off the fence and just say what you mean

Brightened up my boring day.