PDA

View Full Version : Airport Officials

V1 Rotate
3rd Feb 2001, 08:35
Does anyone have any comments about African airport officials?
I am fed up with seeing my passengers being intimidated and harrassed, fed up with trying to get through locked doors and being sent back to go through the "correct" door.
Recently at Lome I was asked for $100 for using a trolley and at Addis they wanted $500 to move 6 suit cases 400metres (we carried them ourselves)!
Is there any other industry that puts up with this?
V1 Rotate

MileHi
3rd Feb 2001, 09:08
Its called the AFRICAN SYNDROME, it starts in government and ends at the street begger around the corner. And guess what.... its moving SOUTH very, very fast!

BEECH
4th Feb 2001, 13:00
V1
You won't find any of these problems anywhere in South Africa. Generally speaking, the SA airports are very well organised and all officials very helpfull.
Landing fees and nav fees are also much cheaper than anywhere up north. Bribery and backhanders have not filtered down that far South (yet). Obtaining ridiculous clearances and permission to fly etc is also non existant. Walk in, file the flight plan, phone the met office, phone the refuellers and 30 minutes later you're airborne.

Guybrush Threepwood
8th Feb 2001, 09:28
Must say I experienced something out of the ordinary the other day.
Landed in Mombasa enroute to Joburg, and to pay ANC's, Landing Fee etc and refuel took 1 hr and 12 minutes from landing to take off.
West Africa definitely the worst place for kickbacks, as the rules go.
WAWA: West Africa Wins Again.

Springbokkie
8th Feb 2001, 11:25
No you won't be charged $100 here, but you are warned at FAJS to "only use ACSA approved porters...." because of items being stolen. mmm...