PDA

View Full Version : My prescription and advise please... critical decision time..

Scoobster
4th Aug 2007, 12:50
Hi..

I am after some advice, hopefull some experienced optoms of pilots can help or in fact anyone with an understanding of the JAR's.

Ok, so i have been in a land locked battled with the CAA for some time and am hoping my latest letter in accordance with Amendment 5 01.12.06 JAR FCL 3 will hopefully get them to change there stance..

The problem is with Visual Fields, I was informed by a Chief Medical Officer of a different authority that the JAR's stipulate 'If your Binocular vision is normal and you have significant proof that your wearker eye can compensate for a monocular defect' than you are eligible for an initial issue Class 1 Medical certificate.

This also seems to correlate with Ammendment 5 of JAR FCL 3 in particular with paragraph 6(d) Appendix 13 to Subparts B and C of JAR-FCL 3 Section 1 on the page annotated ‘Amendment 5 Appendices-18 01.12.06’ which states that

‘An applicant with a visual field defect may be considered as fit if the binocular visual field is normal and the underlying pathology is acceptable to the AMS’.

This is visual acquity part of the prescription..

Refraction -

R: 6/24 -2.50 / -0.75 x 155 6/6 N5 @ 40cm and 1m
L 6/24 - 1 -2.50 / -0.25 x 175 6/4 N5 @ 40cm and 1m

Esterman Visual fields -

73/100 Inferior field loss widespread
L 99/100 Isolated spot missed upper temporal

Binocular Esterman -

119/120 Isolated spot missed lower R

This is the Binocular Vision test which clearly indicates that my binocular vision compensates for monocular defects. I missed one light due to a lapse in concentration (as the optom said).

I was just wondering if anyone had any practical advise as to some next steps. The reason I keep plundering away at the UK CAA is to allow some home grown options to be made available with the right to fly 'G' registered aircraft in line with residency requirements.

Also what is the 'waiver' or 'deviation' policy, it mentions deviations regarding visual acquity but not visual fields:confused:
Otherwise, the FAA route will not permit a UK Citizen to live and work in the U.S or fly 'N' registered aircraft, unless living in Europe? Correct?
It may have to be FAA after all.. so do I pursue this one last time, or go the FAA route and come back with a bunch of hours in the hope that EASA will allow a deviation?

P.S. I have never been DENIED an initial issue class 1. I informed the CAA beforehand and found myself in this situation :ugh:

Thanks
Scoobster

Hawk
4th Aug 2007, 18:41
We do not encourage comment on your prescription. You require professional advice.

Scoobster
4th Aug 2007, 19:21
I am not after an 'encouragement on my prescription', more importantly just some general advice regarding next steps, surely someone out there must have more of an idea regarding JAR's and Visual Acquity..

I have sought professional advice in the form of the CAA and keep hitting blocks hence the post here!