PDA

View Full Version : Greenham Common.. and first postings.

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 11:31
Does one's first posting offer something special? A combo of being released from training and a sense of adventure maybe. Greenham was mine, and I dropped in the other day. It seems like yesterday, but is now referred to as modern history.

Sorry that some of the shots are badly exposed, I was experimenting. Forgive me too, if this is the wrong place for it (or if its just a boring thread and not in keeping here) but I always think there's something melancholy and almost spiritual about a unit thats no longer being used for what it was built for. Or maybe it is just a collection of lumps of concrete and old buildings?

The PX. God bless America. Southern Comfort and John Daniels $1 a bottle..
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4657.jpg
Each camp was colour coded the women. If they ever got in at a certain spot, they would sign the fence with pride. A bit like dogs and lampposts.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4756.jpg
The chow hall. We used to laze on the grass here.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4543.jpg
Hanger 303.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4654.jpg
Looking into the GAMA, now..
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4704.jpg http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4710.jpg
.. and in 1982. Foliage wasn't allowed and grass was to be no taller than 1.5 inches.
http://www.bunkertours.co.uk/milhist2/1-007.jpg
Building 273. Still declared to NATO and still inspected by the Russians.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4685.jpg
VAG now uses the C5 pans to store cars.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4612.jpg
The fire trainer.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4782.jpg
The perimeter fence is a mass of patches.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4722.jpg
Emotive stuff.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4709.jpg
Leafy Berkshire. 25 years ago, there were battles on this stretch that would have made the miners blush.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4735.jpg
This was the exact point that the Smellys first set up shop. They called their tents (made of sheets of plastic) benders. It is now a garden of remembrance for one of the girls who was a regular there.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4810a.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_4807.jpg

Founder
4th Aug 2007, 12:24
I dont really understand, what is this place? What happened here and why was it closed down?

Whirlygig
4th Aug 2007, 12:35
Greenham Common was an air force base near Newbury in Berkshire which became controversially famous for CND and Nuclear Weapon protests organised by groups of women who set up camps around the gates and perimeter. This became a focal point also to protest against the Atomic Weapons Establishments at Aldermaston and Burghfield.

The runway at Greenham Common was pulled up and used for the hardcore for the foundations of the Newbury By-Pass (another controversial project which attracted mass protest). Heaven only knows what that runway was contaminated with!

I used to live at Crookham Common but after the base's hey-day but was still aware of the importance that Greenham Common played in "modern history"!

Greenham_Common (http://www.sopse.org.uk/ixbin/hixclient.exe?a=file&p=greenham&f=greenham.htm)

Cheers

Whirls

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 12:39
Sorry Founder, I should have made that clearer. Thanks Whirls.

Whirly, I think the runway at Greenham was the longest in mainland UK, and was deignated a stand by landing site for the Shuttle at one point.

Jackonicko
4th Aug 2007, 12:53
Hmmm.

In Greenham you had:

a huge runway, rendered surplus by the end of the Cold War, on the right side of London, yards from an existing railway line, and a sneeze away from the M4, close by a town that already needed a by-pass spur down from the M4.

Option 1: Use the base as the basis of the much needed extra London airport, upgrading the rail link to Newbury racecourse and building the bypass to the East of Newbury (the ****ty side, though full of rich folk's houses) going via the new London-Newbury airport.

Option 2: Tear up the runway, build the bypass through the more unspoiled, more attractive country to the West of Newbers, and leave yourself with LGW still stuck in the most inaccessible part of London's environs and with LHR groaning at the seams.

And which did we choose?

London-Lyneham International, anyone?

SirToppamHat
4th Aug 2007, 13:38
ISTR being told by someone that Greenham was something of a red herring, and that the USAF was quietly shipping far more interesting things into Molesworth via Alconbury.

There is some evidence in the public domain that Molesworth was a nuclear weapons store, but this may have been more akin to RAF Faldingworth and RAF Barnham than a Cruise Missile Site.

Jacko makes a good point though - an example of short-termism at its worst.

STH

ranger703
4th Aug 2007, 13:44
I personally had a great tour there,albeit very short in the late 80's. Manning the fenceline as a young SAC had its perks! The things those women would do to try and take your mind off the job in hand whilst another crept up further along and cut the wire!!

Thanks for sharing the pictures,fond memories of a place I'd long forgotten.

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 14:35
ISTR being told by someone that Greenham was something of a red herring, and that the USAF was quietly shipping far more interesting things into Molesworth via Alconbury.

There is some evidence in the public domain that Molesworth was a nuclear weapons store, but this may have been more akin to RAF Faldingworth and RAF Barnham than a Cruise Missile Site.

Molesworth was the second Cruise site, a few years behind Greenham and modelled on Greenham. Now it is (well, it was a year or three back) where all surplus USAF kit in the UK was disposed of direct to the public.

I agree with ranger. As a young LAC, it was quite an eye opener to see a few lesbians going at it hammer and tongues directly in front of you. Even through the binos ;). The regulars there were mainly ok, it was the bored weekenders who were the pains in the arse.

TEEEJ
4th Aug 2007, 15:56
Building 273. Still declared to NATO and still inspected by the Russians.

All the inspections under the INF treaty ceased on 31 May 2001. The last visit by the Russians was during 1999 to Molesworth. Now with Russia pulling out of the CFE treaty there won't be any more Russian military delegations turning up to have a look around bases in the UK.

Shackman
4th Aug 2007, 16:16
Always surprised they closed GC, but the expense of converting it back to 'UK standard' (no doubt all on 110v for starters) probably would not have helped. The first time I saw GC was from the back of a Hastings (as a CCF cadet) when we joined the circuit behind a B-47 and ahead of a KC-97. At that time I had never even heard of Greenham as an airfield, even though we lived not that far away. The last time (as an active airfield) was taking a Chinook there for RIAT.

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 16:27
I remember well, RIAT (or just plain common or garden type IAT I think it was then) there back in '83. There was a missing man salute to Douglas Bader and you could have heard a pin drop as the Spitfires came over (well, if they were silent themselves of course). This is a shot I took that day:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_6021-1.jpg

The smellies threw paint over the SR-71 too, which didn't go down too well and I remember well, the final tannoy for The Grasshoppers display team to report to their aircraft for their demo, as their whereabouts were unknown. I was in the PS bar at the time, and they were walking along the ceiling. More musings, I remember being on top of an open double decker as the Synchro pair crossed over directly overhead. I can't see that happening now. Someone may correct me on this, but one of (or both of the) vintage pair crashed at the same time. There was a Cpl having a jolly in the back of the Meteor I think.. or that may have been a year or two later. Sorry, senile..

In the early 90's Wittering was under review for closure and Lakenheath was being looked at. Same there.. the cost of converting the 'leccy made a move prohibitive.

splitbrain
4th Aug 2007, 16:52
Oh strewth Greenham Common :{

I vividly recall being seconded there as a member of the augmentee guard force back in the 80's. The women in the peace camp would often get their waps out for the lads, usually a sight to ellicit a cheer from any lusty chap. But the sight of those reesty, dowdy weirdo's boobies....:\:\:eek::yuk:

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 17:28
"Roof tilers nailbags lad"

"Excuse me Flight Sergeant?"

"I was just thinking lad, those peace women. They've all got tits like roof tilers nailbags".

"Yes Flight Sergeant.".

We used to smuggle some of the regs on, they were fine, and we used to pass them coal through the wire in winter. They would tell us who the weekender troublemakers were and where they would be trying to break in. Although they got onto the unit many times, they only broke into the Gama (Ground Launched Cruise Missile Alert and Maintenance Area) once. My first WO was 'Uncle' Eddie Joiner and the CO was Billy 'Big Boots' Bremner. He retired a Groupie and died a year or so ago of the big C. My first Flt Cmdr was a Nu Yoiker called Bruce Cortlelano, who would never sit with his back to a door or window ('When you're born where I was born, you don't do dat sorda thing'). My first Flt SNCO was a chap called Geoff Chamberlain who is still (I think) the traffic warden in Stamford, which has been useful on a number of occasions.

BEagle
4th Aug 2007, 19:44
My QFI once asked for a PAR into Greenham Common during one of my IF training trips, but was refused by the Spams "For noise abatement reasons"....

We were in a Chipmunk, FFF's sake....:rolleyes:

A PPRuNer who posts occasionally was the RAF Stn Cdr there during the GLCM period. The 'regular' wimmin peace campniks were apparantly OK, but the 'new age travellers' who stank of $hit and were covered in fleas and lice were a different matter.....:yuk:

Evalu8ter
4th Aug 2007, 21:21
Indeed a terrible waste of real estate, and, ironically, IIRC the base would still be open if the "locals" hadn't complained about the proposed KC-135 wing that was due to go to GC instead of Fairford. So, no noisy tankers equals fewer local dollars being spent, a bucketload of buckets and hot & cold running lesbian peaceniks. Was the thought of KC135s really that bad?

On the subject of the SR-71 "decorated" by the Smellys, apparently the crew did a usual airshow departure on the Monday, just orientated slightly differently - ie over the camp. Seemed that an SR-71 on it's a**e at max burner caused a bit of a "disturbance" to the peace camp...

I can remember flying over it in a Bulldog with Beags back in the early 90's and getting that spooky feeling that you've just bonged somewhere - and it was great sport using the area for Wingovers and quickstops in the Chinook.

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 21:32
On the subject of the SR-71 "decorated" by the Smellys, apparently the crew did a usual airshow departure on the Monday, just orientated slightly differently - ie over the camp. Seemed that an SR-71 on it's a**e at max burner caused a bit of a "disturbance" to the peace camp...

It did indeed. It was on the ground for weeks afterwards and diverted over Blue camp as I recall.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/IMG_6027.jpg

Wycombe
4th Aug 2007, 22:50
I live very close to Greenham (though didn't when it was active) and occasionally go cycling with the kids up there.

On my last trip we cycled the length of the runway - the mid-point intersection for some reason wasn't dug up and is still there. At the Eastern end, I found a set of 4 cables sticking out of the ground each side of where the threshold would have been - almost certainly the wiring for the PAPI's.

The "bunker" area is still very much sealed off - an eerie piece of modern history.

gareth herts
4th Aug 2007, 23:41
The tragic Vintage Pair accident was at Mildenhall I think.

BEagle
5th Aug 2007, 05:42
Correct.

Another avoidable accident - the accident report revealed a whole can of worms......

Al R
5th Aug 2007, 06:43
Thanks Beagle.. the 80s are just one long mad haze man. I may have been right about the jolly mind, but I know nothing about the incident or its causes etc.

I might be wrong here too, but it was a Vampire or Sea Vixen that AM Sir Kenneth Hayr died in a few years back too? I have no idea what sort of rep he had with those he directly worked with, but I had a lot of time for him. He was CBFC in the 80s and visiting the troops out on the ground, I always remember him as being an interested, dapper and very courteous man, despite his wife being very poorly as I recall. F/F 10 years or so, and I stumbled across FO Sir Kenneth Hayr at a UAS. I watched him debrief a student.. still courteous, calm and (this might sound daft) he had an air of humility about him. I imagine that he still had so much more to offer. A sad day.

BEagle
5th Aug 2007, 07:44
AlR- it was at Biggin Hill and he was flying a Vampire in formation with a Sea Vixen; the Venom had unfortunately landed wheels-up earlier and was not able to participate in the display.

See http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_507791.pdf

Top Bunk Tester
6th Aug 2007, 10:26
Al R

First met Ken Hayr when he was in charge of Cyprus (Can't remember the exact title) but he was an Air Cdre then in the early 80s. We taught him to skydive at Kingsfied. He then used to fly the Islander regularly at Weston-On-The-Green, up until his untimely and tragic death at Biggin Hill in 2001. Never have I met a more courteous, respectful and truly gentle man as Ken. He is still sorley missed. Respect

Al R
6th Aug 2007, 10:55
The title was Commander British Forces Cyprus, Top Bunk.

Did you serve out there? I was there from 84-88. The RAF chappie before him (I forget his name.. Air Commodore Offard perhaps?), if I remember correctly, drew the first prize at the Akrotiri open day raffle in 84 and his wife won the car (it was a Honda Civic Aerodeck I think). Anyway, she walked off with it instead of throwing it back in the pot which everyone was expecting.. to many whispers of shady goings on I might add (fear of litigation compels me to add the rider, 'I didn't believe a word of it mind').

Sir Ken was OC 1(F) too, when it first got the Harrier. We did many sunset ceremonies at Air House (being smarter than the army of course), and he unfailingly took time to come and chat with the troops. But in a genuine manner, and not in the usual contrived and patronising manner which many senior officers successfully struggle so hard to master.

Wander00
27th Jul 2009, 11:10
Ken Hayr was a real gentleman, even when things did not go to plan. As AOC 11Gp, he was on his way to carry out his AOC's Inspection at Neatishead - arrived by air at Coltishall, and on the way across to Neaters the staff car broke down - he arrived crammed into OC Admin's mini, with his sword rammed in between his knees and a slightly stiff expression - but he thawed out as the day went on and it turned into a "good day"

Rossian
27th Jul 2009, 18:02
When Ken Hayr was the embodiment of the title he came to St Mawgan to give a presentation on flight safety. At some point, his mention of "time off" led to a rumble of dissent from the assembled throng. He switched off the OHP (pre power point means of presenting for the yoof) and said "Well, that seems to have rattled a few bars; what's it all about? Who had last w/e off as a start?" No hands went up. "The w/e before?" No hands went up.
A flt cdr on the OCU said "Leave out the OCU chaps but keep going with the squadron (42)"
Eventually a SNCO on 42 said "I had Christmas day off sir" This was May!
Part of it was that in order to justify the hideous cost of the sim we used to have Sat evening slots that finished at 0100 Sun morning (full Nimrod crew trainer).
To his credit the Sat evening sim slots stopped at that point.

His minion was sent to SHQ to inspect the leave records of ALL aircrew, and as a result the very next morning I was ordered to fill in a leave pass and go home for two weeks. (kids in school, wife in college, WX was crap but I wasn't at work!). He was the sort of chap one would have followed a VERY long way. He listened and ACTED, a rare combination.

The Ancient Mariner

Flatiron
28th Jul 2009, 14:16
Al R. Many thanks for the photos. Time moves on and the last time I was at GC, my former office was a T-shirt printing shop. GC had the second longest op runway in the UK which explains why it served as a Space Shuttle diversion. Talking of protestors, there was a gay camp and a straight camp. If they had ever got their act together they might have caused me problems, but they hated each other more than us. Happy days.

soddim
28th Jul 2009, 18:48
Good to see the albeit belated tributes to Ken Hayr. What many may not know is how effective he was as ACAS(Ops) during the Falklands war. Briefings to him were a breeze - he knew what we were talking about as operators and needed little detail to fully understand the action needed to implement the policy.

Not just one of life's gentlemen but a very proficent Air-Vice Marshall - how many of those have Ppruners met in their lifetime?

taxydual
28th Jul 2009, 19:15
Ken Hayr was my 'big' boss at one time, I was a 'minion'. I met him the once.

Three years later, he pulled me up in a car park. "I know you" he said.

He remembered our only, very brief, meeting.

An Officer and a Gentleman.

'nuff said.

Wycombe
29th Jul 2009, 07:30
Some time back on this thread Jackonicko said:

In Greenham you had:

a huge runway, rendered surplus by the end of the Cold War, on the right side of London, yards from an existing railway line, and a sneeze away from the M4, close by a town that already needed a by-pass spur down from the M4.

....and it's just been announced that said railway line will be electrified out as far as Newbury, and that there will be lots of new rolling stock to replace the ageing diesel HST's.

Although this might appear to have been a great site for a major hub, I wonder whether it ever would have happened when you consider the establishment that lies directly under the final approach to the westerly runway?

Gainesy
29th Jul 2009, 09:00
I'll bite then, what establishment Wycombe?

pr00ne
29th Jul 2009, 09:21
Atomic Weapons Research Establishment under the approach at one end, the town of Newbury under the approach at the other end.

A "useful" airfield from the local community point of view? I think not.

kluge
29th Jul 2009, 15:58
Fascinating thread for many reasons, names, places, aircraft......

Per AL R's pics I attended that airshow at the tender age of sixteen with big bro and remember the ominous skies as captured in his pics. Mine were the same. Must dig out my old kodachromes and post.

I do recall that there was a TR-1 at that airshow and being surprised at the noise of its departure.

"Operational TR-1A's were used by the 17th Reconnaissance Wing, Royal Air Force Station Alconbury, England, starting in February 1983."