PDA

View Full Version : 4GB compact flash card not recognised

El Grifo
4th Aug 2007, 08:52
I am unable to get ny Win2K system to recognise a 4GB compact flash card containing images (photos).The card is connected via a Lexar USB2 reader.

This reader is perfectly capable of reading lesser size cards and my 4GB card is perfectly able to be read on my laptop which runs XP.

I am of on a shoot to Greece Wednesday and would like to resolve this prior to my departure.

The card manufacturers (Calumet) have not been very forthcoming.

Cheers
El G.

NutLoose
4th Aug 2007, 20:06
Aer the pictures in RAW? you may need to download an add on to get it to read RAW files

Mac the Knife
5th Aug 2007, 06:13
I don't know W2K that well, but I know that some WinOS, BIOS, driver, reader combinations have problems recognizing large flashdrives.

See if you can get a USB driver update for W2K or try another compatible USB driver.

To narrow it down, have you tried another reader apart from the Lexar?

[These things can be annoying - I bought a pair of C-Media multireaders and both of them bluescreen two separate XP boxen if you put a card in. Tried various drivers to no avail. They work fine in Linux though.....!]

Mac

El Grifo
5th Aug 2007, 10:55
Thanks for the replies folks.

The images are in RAW format, but I have used this format for a long time and can happily download from other cards. The problem exists with my 4GB card only.

I have dowlnoaded the latest drivers to no effect and do not have another Card reader to hand.

Yesterday morning I downloaded some image handling software from Canon which now allows me to transfer the images via a camera to the PC.

I don't like doing this, but at least it proves that the system and card are working and compatible.

I guess I will just have to try and source another card reader for further tests

noblues
5th Aug 2007, 12:50
I've had this with 4gig SD's ...

Its your reader ... many have a 2gig limit, and most wont read SD-HC high capacity cards ...

Buy a cheap USB pen type reader with a SD slot in it, that is SD-HC compatible (about £6 on ebay).

I notice many SD cards =>4gig now come with readers, probably becuase lots of others are having this problem and returning the cards.

El Grifo
5th Aug 2007, 12:59
This is pretty much the avenue along which I am being pointed noblues.
Bear in mid though it is compact flash we are dealing with here.

Originally I thought it was a limitation with WIN2K but that idea was blown out when the images could be downloaded using a camera.

It really does point to the limitation being in the reader.

Like I said, I have no trouble downloading onto my laptop using a PCMIA(whatever it is) card.

I will follow your advice.

Thanks guys :ok:

El G.

Mac the Knife
5th Aug 2007, 18:01
Card Readers That Did Not Work:

A number of card readers failed to correctly mount a 4GB SD card, both on the Mac as well as on Windows:

Lexar 12-in-1 USB 2.0 reader
Belkin all-in-1 USB 2.0 reader
Whole family of i.Connect USB 2.0 readersFrom: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/4gb-sd.shtml

El Grifo
6th Aug 2007, 09:00
The cards I use are actually of the Compact Flash variety, so if you could
point me to anything that refers to issues relating to that combination, it would help.