PDA

View Full Version : Help preparing for first above 5700kg Turbine endo

Chimps CanGoTo Space
4th Aug 2007, 04:02
Hi, I am soon to be starting a ground school & sim for a twin turbine aircraft as a first officer on the east coast. I would like any suggestions and advice from people that have made the change from twin pistions. In regards to what to study, know & expect. Also any helpful advice would be great!

Enema Bandit's Dad
4th Aug 2007, 05:19
Make sure they pay the award. Don't fly with any unservicibilities. :)

HEALY
4th Aug 2007, 05:32
Chimps

Systems stuff - Have a look thru your ATPL Systems such as pressurisation, hydraulics and electrics. These systems tend to be a little more involved than a light twin. Have a look thru turbine engine stuff and in particular research your engine ie Metro / J31 / DASH. I bit of background on its history and design will help you get your head around the array of instruments and indications you will now be seeing

Operational - Know how airspace works above 10000 feet. Look at the routes your company fly to and maybe do a simulated one on paper with regards to clearances / restricted airspace and CORRECT PHASEOLOGY. Be firmiliar with IFR Procedure and CAT Speeds for you type (maybe the same as light twin anyway)

General - Your aircraft may come with Minimum Equipment Lists / TCAS / EGPWS This may or may not be new to you so maybe have a look at this and what CASA say about it all as well.

Have fun

EngineOut
4th Aug 2007, 05:55
Know CAO 20.7.1B.

If this is your first aircraft above 5700kg, then this will be your first practical application of it! Then work out how to use and apply it practically. If you understand it inside out and back to front to start with, it will make using it a lot easier. For example if you are doing multiple sectors without refueling, you will multiple things that are potentially limiting:

MZFW
MTOW
MLW
RTOW
RLW

Know that commuter category aircraft have a different second segment requirement (eg metro/B1900).

Also get try to prepare for multi-crew...it is a different world when you are used to doing everything yourself.

RUMBEAR
4th Aug 2007, 09:46
Chimps,

Depending upon who the company is, will depend on the level of training they will provide you to transition to a multi-crew turbine aircraft. My advice quite simple. You will have a lot of new concepts and equipment to learn about so dont waste your time with generic stuff (like what you studied in your ATPL theory days). Aircraft systems and performance etc should be adequately covered during your ground training. New equipemt would be worthwhile reading up on, EGPWS, RADAR, TCAS etc, but make sure it is the same equipment that is fitted to your aircraft as they can be different. Also if you can get hold of the SOP's, read up on things like standard callouts and aircraft configurations and speeds etc used during instrument approaches. The advice I was given before commencing training on Brasilias and then later Dash 8's was dont worry about pre-study, enjoy the break leading up to the new job, but be ready to study hard once you get started!!!!!. In hindsight good advice.

Good Luck im sure you will enjoy the challenge!!!

Dashtrash
5th Aug 2007, 11:38
Get ready for a really busy time. But for now, enjoy the break and don't worry too much about pre study.

Do one thing at a time. Don't worry about airspace and standard calls while in ground school. Learn the systems then. Cross each hurdle one at a time. Your training may be great, but it may be crap. Don't take the chance by thinking "the training program will get me through". Do additional study on teh topic at hand to make sure you really do have a good understanding. If you get behind the training curve, it's hard to get back ahead.

If it's a dash8 your going too, enjoy it, it's a fabulous machine.

flyby_kiwi
6th Aug 2007, 06:02
Good advice to take a break before you begin training because you will really need to do your homework once underway.
Pay particular attention to the a/c systems because that will give meaning behind the company SOP's which brings me to the second point. Learn your SOP's inside out because they in themselves will teach you a large part of multi crew ops.
IFR if anything gets easier cos the gear is better an you have someone to help out..... Dont be put off by the bigger speeds and heights. Its essentially the same as what you are doing now only the numbers change. Most twin twin turbines work on a descent profile of 3miles per 1000ft so learn your 3x table. Assuming the a/c is pressurised: as long as you keep an eye on your profile on the way down its pretty hard to cock up (tho you still will at somepoint). The key is correcting it early.
Good Luck :ok: