PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to defrag automatically in XP?

mrsurrey
3rd Aug 2007, 23:38
I'm regularly uploading and deleting lots of data so if I could set the computer up to defrag each night at say 3am it would be great. Does anyone know if this can be done in XP?

Thanks for your help,

MrS

ZH875
4th Aug 2007, 09:53
Recently, many computer magazines have been giving away a defrag program which only runs when the processor is 'idle'. This has the advantage of defragging when you go for a beer, or otherwise leave the computer on unnatended.

trying not to advertise (for a free program) it is called 'Ashampoo Magical Defrag', this may still be available as a back issue. PM me if you want magazine and issue details.

mrsurrey
4th Aug 2007, 16:59
Thanks ZH875, I googled it and it was only a tenner so I bought it. so far it seems to be very effective. maybe Gates will also pay a tenner and figure out how it works!

Cheers,

MrS

Bushfiva
6th Aug 2007, 01:32
For others in the same situation, Dirms and Buzzsaw also do a good job.

bnt
6th Aug 2007, 07:30
Yes - I'd do it like this:
1) figure out the command line version of what you're trying to do. This one's easy: DEFRAG X:
(where X: is the drive in question)
2) Open Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, Add Scheduled Task. Follow the "wizard" instructions to enter the task, the time(s). etc.

OverTq
6th Aug 2007, 12:34
Another reliable one which can be scheduled is iobit http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html#

Forgot to add that it's free too!

vapilot2004
7th Aug 2007, 08:47
Have surplus cash ?

We use a data drive that resides within the PC (IDE/SCSI/SATA) as an add-on. Or perhaps a USB/SCSI external drive would be best for your setup.

You can create two or more partitions on the new drive once installed/recognised by your operating system. Choose NTFS file system (best for Win XP/2000 or Vista operating systems.)

Use one drive (partition) for the busy downloads/uploads area. The larger partition could hold the files you wish to keep. (Copy)

Every now and then, a reformat of the 'download' drive will have it back in top form. The Windows physical drive and all of the installed programs/data files would be mostly unaffected using the extra drive.

Good Luck!