PDA

View Full Version : The ONE piece of kit..

Al R
3rd Aug 2007, 23:15
.. the one, the ONLY one piece of kit you want (wanted) to leave with? And did you get away with it?

WITHOUT PREJUDICE.

Mine was a rather spiffing Seiko watch with lots of shiny dials on it and a compo tin opener (ok, thats two).

coolblackcat
3rd Aug 2007, 23:33
Does Dignity count?
I left it ages ago when I got a job photografing fat turists...

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 00:17
Two eh? did we run out of fingers to count them with or did you just get confused and panic? I take it you are very proud of your Aircrew Seiko watch? Will you be selling it on ebay?

Great comeback! :)

I got issued one fair and square and seeing as I haven't worn one (or any other watch for that matter) for about 14 years, its a fair bet to say that, no.. I wouldn't be 'selling it on ebay' (how terribly gauche to do such a thing). That is, if I had one anyway, which of course, I don't. Seen below, a photographer's impression.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i263/summer06_2006/Picture015.jpg

stickmonkeytamer
4th Aug 2007, 00:37
AI R - as we could work out who you were from your rather individualistic watchstrap, you may not be getting away with it as easily as you think...:=

SMT

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 01:10
Didn't everyone have Animal straps in the 90s? ;)

For general interest of course, I attach a link which may be of mild interest to all MoD Japanese wrist watch afficienados.

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9346

Two's in
4th Aug 2007, 01:45
I got away with an 18'' Nav Plotter, but I don't use it as a rule.

Roadster280
4th Aug 2007, 01:54
Helmet, plain old GS Mk 6. No, I didn't get away with it.

Almost everything else though. Can't for the life of me work out why, but the de-kit storeman wanted my green plastic mug, and my helmet.

Everything else was mine. After 15 years' total service, blagging left right and centre, and all he wanted was a worthless used green plastic mug, and the ONLY thing I really wanted to keep, since it kept me safe. If only I had just paid the bill and kept it.

buoy15
4th Aug 2007, 03:39
The specification for "Stop Watches 1992" is a riveting read

Ghostflyer
4th Aug 2007, 06:13
Got the helmet, g suit, leg restraints etc when they were written off by flying clothing. Seemed like a great idea at the time but apart from watching the odd 9 year old playing fighter pilot they just block up my wardrobe.

Wensleydale
4th Aug 2007, 06:19
Ghostflyer:

Sell it to a fighter controller. The majority have the same mental age as a 9 year old and they would play with it more often.

Light blue touch-paper and retire to a safe distance.........:E

John Eacott
4th Aug 2007, 07:40
I've still got my pusser's Mk2A bone dome, and just about everything else from Flying Clothing store ;)

All except the string vests, which had to be returned, and the RAF blue boxer shorts, one pair missing which cost me £ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sign)1.30 :rolleyes: I'm sure that they re-issued the one pair that I returned :p

MostlyModerate
4th Aug 2007, 09:21
never mind the stop-watch specs.

what a master stroke to link the permitted strap colours to the building paints colour charts.

airborne_artist
4th Aug 2007, 09:24
I've still got a compo tin opener, and a pair of long johns issued to me in 1978 that were made in 1953. A compo tin opener is a great "what's this for" quiz item.

Tiger_mate
4th Aug 2007, 09:32
There was a time (Seiko) that I would have 'lost' my watch, but now that it has been replaced with a cheap Pulsar; when the day comes, they can have the lot back.

I in turn will rejoice at getting the ammount of garage space that is presently filled with crap that I cannot meanwhile return. Such as AR5, issued in 1987 and timex decades ago, but cannot be returned as nobody on my unit can 'service it' before the blunties will take it.

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 09:42
Aaah, the long johns. I lied of course, I have more than one item. I have (annoyingly) just the one puttee (still beautifully pressed), a ghillie suit (great for hide and seek), and a few other odds and ends.. :=. Who remembers 'FoFaD'? This ('F#ck off, fire at Donnington') was the answer you always used to get from the stackers in the early 80s whenever you went to Stores to get something. They should have come to me instead.

Ok, you mentioned quiz questions. What is the proper term for a compo sweet? In fact, don't waste valuable time fretting, I'll tell you. Its 'Confectionary/ General Service Issue/ Hard boiled/ Colour various/ Suck or chew'.

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 09:56
Bouy says: The specification for "Stop Watches 1992" is a riveting read.

Isn't it just? While you're on that page, people who have read that have also enjoyed this:

http://www.dstan.mod.uk/

Hows this for a catchy strapline? Is not 'Achieving Interoperability Through Standardization Excellence' a right royal belter? Aside from their inability to standardise standardization with the rest of the MoD, I would have a little more confidence in them if they could at least standardise use of the fullstop on their home page.

airborne_artist
4th Aug 2007, 09:59
'FoFaD' - another from that era was "Falklands Air Bridge" - the standard reply from June 82 until the opening of MPA when any request for AT was submitted, particularly if it involved Albert.

diginagain
4th Aug 2007, 10:29
The only item I handed in when I demobbed was my No2s. Since they'd lasted 18 years, with several tailorings, they weren't missed.

The storeman at Lisburn couldn't find any of my records. Probably because they were handed to me several years earlier. To be fair, the growbags had only sentimental value, and the two bonedomes only collect dust these days. The watch became a birthday gift for a mate, but the socks, both aircrew and G10 are still in use 11 years after leaving.

John Eacott
4th Aug 2007, 10:33
but the socks, both aircrew and G10 are still in use 11 years after leaving.

About time they were washed? :p

My flying boots, issued 1974, are still used for aviating :ok:

diginagain
4th Aug 2007, 10:51
Very funny, John. The big surprise is that they've survived repeated boiling in the rig laundry.

On reflection, the biggest prof has to be a certified copy of my complete medical records, very handy when it came time to make a disability claim, as the originals had 'disappeared'.

It's Not Working
4th Aug 2007, 12:53
My father's 'housewife,' I think that's the right term. Issued to him when he joined the RAF during the war (39-45) and in use by me on every posting since joining in early 70s albeit with newer contents. Still got a couple of years to go until we both retire (the housewife and I not my father and I - oh never mind).

BEagle
4th Aug 2007, 14:06
Most useful - the superb comp can opener! Also some nearly new combat highs which they didn't want back.

Oldest - the astonishingly resilient 1968-issue black nylon socks which are still intact nearly 40 years later.

Still have the green plastic mug, mess tins - but proper BA cutlery to go with it as befits han hossifer!

Really miss the S10 gassie........NOT!!

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 14:37
.. respirator!! :=

Oggin Aviator
4th Aug 2007, 15:02
My grandfather managed to keep the bullet that shot away his tongue in WW1. However he never spoke about the incident.

BOAC
4th Aug 2007, 15:04
Mine is my bang seat - and yes.

4mastacker
4th Aug 2007, 15:19
"Who remembers 'FoFaD'? This ('F#ck off, fire at Donnington') was the answer you always used to get from the stackers in the early 80s whenever you went to Stores to get something. "

Gentlemen, if I may elaborate on that. Yes, the two (at least) fires at Donnington did queer the pitch a bit with a lot of the kit the Army were meant to provide, especially if you drove tanks. I suspect it was their rather quaint way of resolving stocktaking discrepancies...

There was, however, a one-man crime wave at a Hampshire helicopter base which had a devastating effect on the availability of flying clothing. The culprit was flogging all the good stuff in and around Odiham, Aldershot and at a stall at Blackbushe. He even kept a book of who bought what and when, which made for good reading at the Summary of Evidence. He got 3 and a half years for burglary but the impact of his deeds resounded for a long time afterwards, much to the frustration of our (legitimate) customers.

Fg Off Max Stout
4th Aug 2007, 15:58
That must be why I had a couple of flying suits on order for over 2 years. When 'they' arrived it was one flying suit, wrong size, wrong mark, wrong colour. Still waiting for the reorder.

4mastacker
4th Aug 2007, 16:33
Still waiting since the 1980's??? Have you upset somebody?

Fg Off Max Stout
4th Aug 2007, 17:08
Bit more recent than that, but I'm sure some jaffa cake bribery would have greased the wheels!

barnstormer1968
4th Aug 2007, 18:40
I will admit that there is a rumour, that I have not just loads of tin opener's, but also body armour, combat suits (several), webbing, helmet, respirator, lots of boot's. the list is endless (it's rumoured anyway)but there is an item that somebody took (supposedly) that beats any so far. I just checked on the G10 watch I seem to be wearing, and there is time to type this one out.
Once upon a time, a fox armoured reconnaissance vehicle broke down while on a training exercise, so it was towed to a military base, and left for collection by it's parent unit. Somehow the paperwork got mis-layed, so it just sat there for six months. A REME craftsman sussed it would just stay forever, and decided that would be a waste, so he took it home, where it is to this day. It's rumoured that it appears regularly at military shows. Now this is only a rumour of course. But it does look good now it's been repainted!.

4mastacker
4th Aug 2007, 19:53
Jaffa cakes?? Sorry, that's possibly the wrong currency...may I suggest changing to dealing in 'slabs'... that usually worked :ok:.

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 19:54
:D

Good effort. I salute you. I live near this lot;

http://www.witham-sv.com/Gallery/Gallery.htm

I do like the idea of this for 7.5 k.. a 1947 Meteor powered Centurian with low miles. Did they just forget about it do you think?

http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=361&Overide=1

I gave this the once over. Typical cheapo MoD spec. Naff Spax shocks on it.

http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=1089&Overide=1

Green Goddess sir? Even the Africans don't want 'em.

http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=372&Overide=1

Maple 01
4th Aug 2007, 20:32
I met an East German Engenering officer who walked off with most of JG9 including two Mig 23s, a Mig 21, a Mig 19 and a Mig 15. He hid them on the third floor of a powerstation he was 'looking after' - they now form a large part of the museum at Penemunde

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 21:01
Well done that man Mapes. I almost forgot. Prizing the cannon from this little honey, over the course of a month or two took a bit of an effort. Covertly dissmantling the local sim however, was totally beyond the two of us.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/CNV00025.jpg http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/CNV00027.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/CNV00018.jpg

Maple 01
4th Aug 2007, 23:33
Spotters will note the early model MiGG21 UTI* - Herr Proffer (EGAF) was good, but not that good
I know this because I was reading my recci books, rather than down the gym....;)

ShyTorque
4th Aug 2007, 23:36
There was, however, a one-man crime wave at a Hampshire helicopter base which had a devastating effect on the availability of flying clothing. The culprit was flogging all the good stuff in and around Odiham, Aldershot and at a stall at Blackbushe. He even kept a book of who bought what and when, which made for good reading at the Summary of Evidence. He got 3 and a half years for burglary but the impact of his deeds resounded for a long time afterwards, much to the frustration of our (legitimate) customers.

I sat in his court martial , as an "officer under instruction"! He had his own set of keys and was nicking huge amounts of stuff to order.

I got ripped off by the system regarding my watch. I lost a clockwork one I'd had for years during an NBC trial crashout "Scramble" and got charged for an all singing all dancing electric one, which I had to give back when I left.

The only useful thing I seemed to gain was my trusty chinagraph propelling pencil and a nearly full packet of the coveted brown wax refills. They will probably last me out until I retire, the pencil still works after nearly fourteen years. Much better than the watch, as it happens!

parabellum
5th Aug 2007, 05:33
When I left I had to hand in the watch, it was an Omega then, couldn't keep anything, not even a pair of well worn 'gloves, cape leather'. The QM had a full list of everything and demanded every item back, miserable sod.
Have several compo tin openers though, and a stable belt!:E

Al R
5th Aug 2007, 06:24
Spotters will note the early model MiGG21 UTI* - Herr Proffer (EGAF) was good, but not that good
I know this because I was reading my recci books, rather than down the gym....;)

' morning Mapes,

.. you're quite possibly right about the variant! But where and when were the fots taken :8;)? There are some obvious clues in there.. I'd be interested to see which ones you pick up on.

With regards to the kit, I forgot about my Belstaff biking gear. Rubbish in cold weather, but it'd keep you drier than a nun in a Libyan brickyard. Great for driving small open 2 seaters too if a squall seems likely.

An early start to the day in the garden if I'm to watch the GP later with a clear conscience. A pot of tea, doves cooing through the French windows, a Porkinsons butty, the onset of a cracking day, peace and quiet.. who could ask for anything more?

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/CNV00030.jpghttp://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/CNV00028.jpghttp://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/CNV00047-1.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/CNV00050.jpghttp://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/CNV00043.jpghttp://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/CNV00096a.jpg

SSSETOWTF
5th Aug 2007, 07:46
The S10 has to be the thing to go for. It's far and away the best dust mask with built in eye protection you could ever want when you're DIY-ing. (scares my cats though)

PICKS135
5th Aug 2007, 09:33
trying to recoup some money from the SoA fiasco ??

http://www.witham-sv.com/Gallery/Exhibishion/exibishion.htm

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

ShyTorque
5th Aug 2007, 13:00
SSSETOWTF - you actually LIKE wearing a respirator?

You're sick, you are. ;)

Roadster280
6th Aug 2007, 14:45
In defence of wearing S10s after leaving, I can say with absolute confidence that keeping the smell of cat diarrhoea out of one's nostrils while cleaning it up must have been one of the original design goals of this masterpiece in rubber.

Remnants of CS is far preferable to the stench of feline doings.

Roadster280
6th Aug 2007, 15:25
AIDU - I thought we had agreed to keep that to ourselves. Now I'll have to tell them all about your rapist face-mask fetish with arctic kit.

SmilingKnifed
6th Aug 2007, 16:19
Moving the thread away from this slightly disturbing tangent:hmm:
Does anyone want a set of No 1s for a tall, slim(ish:rolleyes:) bloke? I kept everything and it's the only thing I haven't sold yet. You'd be amazed at some of the crap people will buy at car boot sales!

Al R
6th Aug 2007, 16:39
In that case, whilst we're at it, anyone after a pair of Mk3 cold weather flying trousers? 172-181 cms height, 74-84 cms waist..

ProfessionalStudent
6th Aug 2007, 21:23
Anyone know whwere I can get holf of a pair of old brown summer flying boots? Size 8. PM me if you can help.

Al R
6th Aug 2007, 22:03
An Aircrew watch and a pair of Aircrew cold weather trousers. Now what would a rockape need those for?

I was on 613 TACP for a bit (5 Airborne Brigade, before it changed to 16 Air Assault blah) and did time on 1(F) and 33 Sqns inbetween doing tours with real sqns. Thats how I got the watch and stuff. I managed to keep it all because I didn't clear from the RAF until a day after my discharge date. I had nothing at all with me when I went to PSF, and the FS got snotty with me. 'This won't do at all' the little fellow bleated.. 'I'm in half a mind not to release you.'. 'Look at the date on that..' I suggested, 'I was a civvy 14 hours ago, now do you want my car pass back or not?'. The FS stacker by contrast, took one look at me in morning coat and suit, laughed and told the LAC not to waste time asking me for anything and to simply sign my clearance chit. It was the lad's first clearance, and he looked quite dissapointed. He was probably itching to account for 20+ years worth of socks and bill a gnr for a lost puttee. I'm not sure it set the best of examples for him.

Al R
6th Aug 2007, 22:53
Well.. that certainly told me!! :ok:

ShyTorque
6th Aug 2007, 22:58
Oh yes... I've still got my brand new nav bag. In its polythene bag. Off the Atlantic Conveyor.
(I would like two thousand, four hundred and twelve other offences taken into consideration).
The Conveyor was rumoured to have sunk in port, rather than enemy action, due to being massively overloaded with all the kit the RAF supply system was short of. Best excuse since WW2; not including that bent stores bloke at Odiham.

4mastacker
7th Aug 2007, 12:33
The Atlantic Conveyor was a god-send not only to the stackers; a lot of inventory holders must have been looking to the skies and saying 'thank you'.

ST, correct me if I am wrong, but that bent stores bloke, who created a drought of flying clothing, also pillaged all the other stores at Odiham, although he didn't need a key to the back door because he volunteered for duty stacker at weekends and grants and therefore had the keys to the front door - and nobody bothered to ask why he was so keen!!.

Don't know if he was involved in the scam at Odiham involving National Carriers and washing machines.

An Teallach
7th Aug 2007, 12:45
For those like me who get a perverse pleasure from roaming sleet-sodden Scottish hillsides, the headover is the 'nicked' bit of kit that was ordained by God to be the favourite.

It is such a versatile item for regulating body temperature that I sometimes wonder if one could be stark-b0ll0ck naked save for the headover and still be roastie-toastie.

Airborne Aircrew
7th Aug 2007, 13:50
The picture of the watch reminded me of a funny. The old watches were de riguer when I was issued mine. When those nice new ones with the "kewl" looking dials and timers on it came out a mate, (Richie R who I recently heard had died), decided he wanted one and he had heard that they had some in stores in Belize. So off he went only to be told that he can't exchange his old one because it wasn't broken, (I got the same response when I tried it on). So he came back to the Swamp and later that evening, (beer might have been involved but my memory is unclear), after throwing it around the room, stamping on it, hitting it with rocks from the garden etc. etc. etc. he decided that he could break it by putting it in the Swamp blender. In it went, on went the blender and the watch promptly flew, through the side of the blender, across the room in absolutely pristine condition bar a couple of slashes in the strap. Watch 1, Blender 0!!!

Not to be outdone Richie decides to wait until a different storeman is on duty and try to sweet talk him into making the exchange. Off he goes to stores and finds a new victim. Richie was quite the charmer and often got his way by the simple application of a nice line of patter. Off he goes giving it his best holding the old watch on it's brown strap in his hand. The stacker is utterly unimpressed with Richies patter and tells him that he can't exchange it because it isn't broken.

This puts Richie in an, (unusually for him), major sense of humor failure and he holds the strap by the end and smashes the watch down on the counter... Well... Remember those metal angle iron things that they used to put along the edge of the counters in stores? He hit the glass directly on that and cracked it. He looked at it, looked at the stacker and said "There, it's F$cking broken now!!!"...

Result... :p

Back on topic:

Compo Can opener... A set of Mess tins made in 1948 - soon to be antiques and therefore worth buckets of cash I'm sure... :eek: and one of the old style Aircrew Survival Knives, (with an actual point and blade), that I use all the time in my workshop... You'd be surprised what you can do with that old thing... :)

Wessex Boy
8th Aug 2007, 11:43
I managed to keep my DPM 2 Piece Flying suit, although the trousers seem to have shrunk considerably after 18 years in the loft:E

I still use my Flying boots for GA flying, and somewhere I have a brand new pair of flying gloves, if only I could find them. My Chinagraph lead ran out when I was flying last weekend!

Had to return my Mickey Mouse watch, but got to keep the sunglasses and pen-knife (go figure)

Still use the Big Blue Holdalls for family trips to the coast, (carried a Motorbike engine in one once as well) they have retained the same colour as they were after spending about 12 hours hosing them down out the back of the AAITC block at Finningley to get rid of the 'newness'

ShyTorque
8th Aug 2007, 11:59
Wessexboy,

My Chinagraph lead ran out when I was flying last weekend!

Aha! I've been waiting for an opportunity like this for years! I think now's the time to put one on Ebay :E

228 OCU
8th Aug 2007, 14:59
Bone dome to boots, and everything in between :D

airborne_artist
8th Aug 2007, 15:03
My favourite piece of kit has/had to be the black stockings (not tights) when worn by the prettier Wrens. Even if the boat-race isn't perfect, a good pair of pins in black stockings is a very pleasant sight.

jonnyloove
8th Aug 2007, 15:15
i have manged before i left to get some new MK3 cold wether flying jacket if anybody needs one let me know. but the best bit off kit has to be watch they keep crap time but do look good!!:}

charliegolf
8th Aug 2007, 15:46
I held the inventory for the SSA at Finningley up to my exit point- Aladdin's Cave!

CG

jonnyloove
8th Aug 2007, 15:56
Anybody got any spare chinagraphs i have used all mine!! will swap for other kit!!!!:}

ShyTorque
8th Aug 2007, 16:04
I'll swap a brown chinagraph for a Wren in black stockings..... ;)

jonnyloove
8th Aug 2007, 16:06
Let me speak to some ex girlfriends in plymouth. Is sze 22 ok!!!!:}

FCWhippingBoy
9th Aug 2007, 09:11
Lots of green plastic mugs knocking about! I still have mine from a previous life with the pongos, now used as a toothbrush holder!

snapper41
13th Aug 2007, 11:21
I held the inventory for the SSA at Finningley up to my exit point- Aladdin's Cave!
CG

CG - you may have held the inventory, but I know who 'managed' it!!;):E

AR1
13th Aug 2007, 13:15
My favourite piece of kit has/had to be the black stockings (not tights) when worn by the prettier Wrens. Even if the boat-race isn't perfect, a good pair of pins in black stockings is a very pleasant sight.

Any chance of a picture of you wearing them?

I got stacks. Canvas holdall with 'get em down safely...' sticker from 1979, Mountain men love mountin' women sticker FI 86.

S6 Respirator, LJ's a gash flying suit, boots, No1 shoes - still boxed, shirts, tie , belt (and I'm getting there ) The prized 'THUNDERBIRD JACKET'

FAG VIRGIL.

glad rag
13th Aug 2007, 19:36

"For those like me who get a perverse pleasure from roaming sleet-sodden Scottish hillsides, the headover is the 'nicked' bit of kit that was ordained by God to be the favourite.

It is such a versatile item for regulating body temperature that I sometimes wonder if one could be stark-b0ll0ck naked save for the headover and still be roastie-toastie."

The wristlets are absolutely ideal when out fowling on the Tay in a December gale, along with some fingerless gloves keeps my fingies in the pink and supple down to -10 plus windchill -superb piece of kit.

ShyTorque
13th Aug 2007, 23:06
The prized 'THUNDERBIRD JACKET' FAG VIRGIL.

Yep, FAG just about sums it up...... :ok:

Blacksheep
14th Aug 2007, 01:24
Two broken pairs of wire twisters rescued from the scrap bin. With a bit of jiggery pokery they made one good pair and I've still got them forty years later. Used them last night actually, to attach a new garden hose to the garden standpipe. The other thing I wanted and was allowed to keep was my safety boots. They lasted ten more years before they fell apart and became un-safety boots.

groveaviation
15th Aug 2007, 07:28
Helmet. Got away with it. To be fair though our SE's gave me a choice of what I took with me.

MadAxeMan
19th Aug 2007, 11:30
Surely the answer has to be ones life.

Oh and an ATPL(A). Especially, the cheapo IRT and Air Law exam version.

Bu66er! That's 2, it must be contagious.

(>|<)

Pontius Navigator
19th Aug 2007, 15:28
Still use my '74 pattern boots, issued in '81, but only when working so that doesn't really count.

White Acrillan Pile Arctic underear and also my green bunny suit.

BentStick
21st Aug 2007, 05:14
F-111C Aux Gauges panel, complete with nuclear consent switch :E

ARINC
21st Aug 2007, 10:36
For sale as separate lots....saw no reason to limit it to two

1. 1x Bent Herc Pitot probe (RHS)
2. 1x Herc standby compass (unswung) boxed....don't ask.
3. 2x Feather down sleeping bags (Ex Harrier Force, winter deployment)
4. 1x Canvas cot (as 3 above).
5. 1x S10 well used ( See 3 and 4 above)
6. Miscellaneous "Remove before flight" pins (which were, permenantly)