PDA

View Full Version : MEIR Renewal

eagle206
3rd Aug 2007, 09:09
Hi All

I am about to embark on my first MEIR renewal, a couple things I have not used this since its initial issue approx 14 months ago. Also the aircraft that i'm renewing it in is a different type to the one I did the initial issue in. Any advice for someone in this situation? Obviously i'm going to need to do a few revision flights (A) to get used to the aeroplane and (B) to become familiar with the IFR procedures again.

I am feeling quite anxious about getting back into it as it has been such a long time, It feels as though I am starting a full instrument rating agian.

Anyone been in this situation before?

Cheers Eagle 206 :)

knox
3rd Aug 2007, 09:43
Hey eagle.
I'm going through the same at the mo, however it has been nearly 2 years since i did the initial flight test.
So far so good, I've done a couple of flights and hopefully i will be re current after the next flight.
I found the flying no probs but struggled with the procedures a little.
I did some practice on the ol' sim and that helped heaps.

My only advice would be to relax and try to enjoy it as much as poss.

Knox

ForkTailedDrKiller
3rd Aug 2007, 10:07
Eagle

I was in your position for many years.

Did my initial MEIR in an Apache, then renewals: 1 Baron; 2-4 C310; 5-8 Baron; 9-10 C402; 11-13 Aztec; 14-17 BE76; 18-20 BE35. Haven't bothered with the ME in recent years cause I only get around in the FTDK.

Minimal real IF and few approaches in anger between renewals - common story in my part of the world.

I suggest you find an instructor/ATO that you are really comfortable flying with, even if you have to travel to do so. I used to allow 2 days to do my renewals. Day 1 - really good workout in sim and aeroplane (particulaly asymetrics) and a session on the books. Day 2 - test, and re-test if I screwed up an aid. Always seem to work out OK for me.

I reckon its like riding a bike. You can get pretty wobbly if you haven't done it for a while but you soon get the hang of it again.

Of the twins I have flown, the Baron is by far the best for MEIR renewals, cause it is so nice to fly and it stays where you put it, but it is expensive. In my opinion the BE76 comes second.

Sure is easier when you are at it all the time and regularly flying approaches for currency. I have flown many more approaches in the 3 years I have had the BE35 than in the previous 17 yrs.

Good luck with it.

Dr :cool: