View Full Version : Spanish friends : do you do your course in english or spanish ?

sam34
2nd Aug 2007, 22:09
Hello everyone!
Sorry I am french but I must write in english (I don't remember spanish...)
Well my question is simple. Do you do your CPL/IR/MCC (in Spain of course) in english or spanish ?

It may be a stupid question, but in France it is in french. But we can speak english with the ATC.

A few school (rarely) offer course in english...

So as we know, english is THE language to become an airline pilot. So the FTO should offer courses in english, don't you think ??

If you do your course in your language, I guess you have any radiolephony course in english don't you?

Are you expecting to go in england to do the course (but it is more expensive up there..) ?

Thank you very much.

Always Moving
3rd Aug 2007, 01:27
They have them in both!

The Spanish cater to a lot of other EU countries since it is cheaper (I do not know better.... but cheaper)

LH2
3rd Aug 2007, 14:52
I have a British PPL, but I do a lot of flying in Spain and this is what I know:
PPL: In Spanish only. This seems to be the same in other countries such as Norway and France. The exception is that there is at least one British training facility which is based in Spain--in this case, your training will be, obviously, in English.
ATPL: Both offered, as mentioned above. Again, there are both indigenous and foreign organisations operating in Spain, and from what little I've seen, the standards vary significantly. Having said that, there is at least one Spanish FTO which employs British instructors (chief instructor included) which looks like a good place to go for an IR/CPL.
R/T: As you correctly pointed out, Spanish students have to obtain a separate R/T licence (same as the "Qualification Radio Internationale - QRI" in France), if they wish to use English on the radio. I do not know how many of them have it, but with the commendable exception of, if I'm not mistaken, Spanair pilots, everyone else uses Spanish and are utterly incapable of doing the R/T in English, which most of them can't speak to start with.
in France it is in french. But we can speak english with the ATC.
Not quite legally, I'm afraid. Unless it has recently superceded, the "arrêté du 27 juin 2000" concerning radiotelephony procedures, specifies: "La langue française est, sauf cas particulier (entraînement par exemple) utilisée entre pilote français et contrôleur français.". There is also the notorious case of Air France trying to go English-only in CDG a few years ago, which attempt was squashed by certain pilot and ATC unions, with the predictable support of political entities completely alien to the aviation world, but we're starting to digress...
Of course, what happens in practise is an entirely different matter, and it would be foolish for any pilot who wishes to fly abroad, or anyone with commercial aspirations, not to practise English R/T in their home area first.

Hope this helps.

CirrusF
1st Sep 2007, 12:31
La langue française est, sauf cas particulier (entraînement par exemple) utilisée entre pilote français et contrôleur français.".

That is a correct quote from the French regulations, though I have never fully understood it. Does it mean pilots/controllers of French nationality, or pilots/controllers with French licences?

I am British but have a French CPL - I mostly use English r/t in France (except at non-controlled airfields), though am never too sure that I am strictly allowed to do so by that regulation!

BClouds
1st Sep 2007, 13:55
Umm, you say they use both spanish and english.

But how is the accent?
I mean instructors have english as their first language, or second :rolleyes: