PDA

View Full Version : Erbil International

FL470
2nd Aug 2007, 20:51
I flight to Erbil International (ORER) in Iraq is coming up. Does anybody have any information on this place - especially approach plates (didn't find them on Jeppview)?

Is it safe to fly there?

Thanks for any advice!

ChiefT
3rd Aug 2007, 14:43
Iraq - safe? Funny.

Erbil is safer than Baghdad, but unsafer than the Bronx...

pakalolo
3rd Aug 2007, 14:57
my friend, i flow to erbil few months ago, and no approach nothing on jeppessen or jeppview, i found all the approach plates ,arrival ,departures, ils everything whit the people of dhl.

bflyer
3rd Aug 2007, 17:52
Hi

I flew to Baghdad in the early days where only a taxi chart was available
totally unsafe...but what a hand-flying experience:D
My guess is that Irbil is definitly safer than Baghdad

FL470
3rd Aug 2007, 18:46
Thanks everyone for the hints - especially the DHL thing!!! :ok:

I know that it's not going to be safe as our mother's laps, but at least we don't have to stay overnight.

Beeech19
4th Aug 2007, 06:45
Erbil is safe, not to worry. I flew in there on a daily basis for the past 10weeks.
If viz permits you wont have any problems, people on ground very friendly and helpfull. ILS on runway 15, not published though. MSA 6000', some mountains to the east but not a factor.
Great food at wings catering just outside the airport, walking distance.
Enjoy:ok:
PS: no need to do a spiral descend.

newscaster
4th Aug 2007, 15:01
Dont Austrian fly there?

learr
5th Aug 2007, 17:12
Erbil was pretty safe 2 months ago, we used to fly for Iraqi Airways...You won't find any Jepp plates for this place, i can' t remember but there is a website where you should be able to get the charts try to type erbil airport on google or sometime like that :}, nothing special to do there but people are nice, you shouldn't have any problems... ustrian has 2 or 3 flights a week

learr

runway is around 8400ft with ILS and VOR, they are building a second one, control is iraqi but good
What type of bird you will be flying there??

FL470
6th Aug 2007, 10:45
Thanks for your help guys!

I will be flying a G4 into Erbil.

Lentäjä
20th May 2008, 12:09
Yes Austrian does fly there

A21
20th May 2008, 16:26
Check Pm Cheers

farisjet
29th May 2008, 11:09
Hello learr
you have mentioned that you flown for iraqi airways...when was that..mabe your know my dad then he was in IA for 27 years..

many thanks
FARIS

learr
29th May 2008, 19:44
Hi man,
I flew for IA under an ACMI contract which means Iraqi Airways was just renting the company I use to fly with, so basically I meet 2 pilots from iraqi Airways but I can't recall their names, sorry (that was in 2007 and I didn't spend a lot of time there)

Learr