PDA

View Full Version : How good does my Morse Code Need To Be?

Vone Rotate
2nd Aug 2007, 20:40
Quick question....

Just started my ATPL distance learning course.
By the time I get to the IR will I need to know Morse code pretty well for identifying the VOR's etc? Or more importantly for when (or if??) I land my first job will I be expected to know it with out looking at the back of my knee board!?;)

I'm just unsure weather to start learning it now as well as doing my ATPL course or is it not necessary to be a fluent Morse coder!!

Any help appreciated folks...

Brian304
2nd Aug 2007, 20:54
Well you wouldn't need to know the morse code for the ATPL's, but I rather think you would need to know the morse code for the IR. But the easiest way is to renember the VOR or NDB that you would be using for each route that you would be doing, when training.

Brian304:ok:

Contacttower
2nd Aug 2007, 21:07
Its interesting to note that in the US they actually print on the charts the morse code for VORs - so as long as you can tell dots from dashes you don't actually need to know what the dot/dash combinations mean in letter form.

potkettleblack
2nd Aug 2007, 21:11
I didn't learn morse and I don't know anyone that has so my advice is don't let it distract you from your studies which will keep you busy enough. All I did was type up a list of the idents for all of the navaids I used during the IR course. I had these as a handy reference guide on my kneeboard. On my plog I wrote in the ones I would need on the day. After you have heard them a few times they tend to sink in anyway.

The "oldies" will be turning in their graves but I am afraid it isn't a skill that you necessarily need these days. The enroute charts all have the morse ident if you need to listen to them as do Jeppy plates. Modern aircraft that you are likely to be flying after your training all ident automatically and you would only have to revert to actually listening to the morse if you ended up with downgraded systems. In the case of the latter you would just pull out the charts and plates and check them off.

Vone Rotate
2nd Aug 2007, 21:18
That would be nice to have on the CAA charts.....

I think my main concern was that is it an unofficial tool people in the industry like you to have? Don't really want to learn it for the sake of it but if other pilots would frown on me for not being able to rattle off any random code I'd rather learn it than come across like I could not be bothered to put the effort in.

Think thats what i'm trying to say:bored:

Just seen the post above.. Cheers:ok:

Alex Whittingham
2nd Aug 2007, 21:48
Well, I went through my entire flying career not knowing morse. Every check ride I did I lived in fear that the ident of the beacon I was using was incorrect/the beacon was on maintenance/etc - yes, I know they're usually on the plate but they aren't always terminal beacons, a checking officer can ask you to ident a beacon at any point. Now, I'm ashamed that I didn't have the good sense to learn morse code. Do it. Don't listen to the 'you don't need to know that' brigade. If you can improve your professional knowledge get off your a*** and do it. You don't need it for the ATPLs, do it before the flight tests.

jonjon
2nd Aug 2007, 22:01
You don't need to know any of it except maybe TEST as VOR/DME transmit it if being serviced. But even then, before a flight test you would check the NOTAMs and know in advance if one of the navaids was being serviced.

Don't worry about it

JJ

davey147
2nd Aug 2007, 23:28
Its really not that hard to learn, I purchased a cd from transair a year or so ago (I cant remember the name)

But you can pick it up in a week, just go through it for an hour a day.

No harder than learning the phonetic alphabet. I guess it would be hard to actually transmit morse, but its not difficult to pick it up and understand it.

paco
3rd Aug 2007, 00:33
Although not required for the exams, some airlines require it - Air Canada certainly do. Any amateur radio club will have learning materials.

Phil

Flingingwings
3rd Aug 2007, 10:00
Valid points all round.........

FWIW. I didn't learn morse for the ATPL's. I did learn morse prior to my IR and I've ensured I've kept current.

I work with six others for an onshore SPIFR helicopter company. My peers all know morse.

Our machines will display the ident visually, but we all still check by listening.

Its not difficult to learn. IMHO learn it when you've time (Ie post ATPL's but prior IR). Some may think its a waste (they may be right), but remember in this game its what sets you apart from everybody else thats important when it comes to getting a job. I'd be gutted if I'd learnt I was the only one that didn't know morse :eek:

hvogt
3rd Aug 2007, 14:19
Hello Vone Rotate

You have to be able to
identify radio navigation aids (VOR, DME, NDB, ILS) from their Morse code identifiers (JAR-FCL 1.470, Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.470 and CJAA Learning Objectives Communications).
The CJAA recommends an aural test comprising groups of 3 letter codes sent at standard rates, but they say that
these procedures are not included in the JAR-FCL syllabus, however this subject is appropriate to the training required by professional pilots and may be included in future exams (CJAA Learning Objectives Communications).
From my own point of view I would like to add that learning Morse code for the purpose of identifying stations is not too difficult. Keep in mind that the speed is very low, and there is a maximum of four letters only.

Cheers

hvogt

Hugh Spencer
3rd Aug 2007, 15:39
No, we 'oldies' will not be turning in our graves because the morse code is, apparently, not essential in today's flight operations. In 1943 I went through morse code tuition and, quite surprisingly, I can still use it. A number of the cadets had to be taken off the course and ended up in sick quarters.

boogie-nicey
3rd Aug 2007, 15:58
Most impressive Hugh Spencer, morse is nonetheless a practical artform :ok:

Run DME
3rd Aug 2007, 16:49
Vone Rotate,

I'm in the same boat....I found this the other day, and it seems to be helping so far:

http://www.colorpilot.com/morse.html

Best of luck,

Run DME

youngskywalker
4th Aug 2007, 10:54
The 'old' CAA national exams pre-JAA, you had to sit a morse code exam, they played a tape of morse in the exam hall and you had to be able to write down so many words a minute I think. If you had an ICAO CPL licence (ie, an FAA ticket) you were exempt that particular exam, the funny thing is the FAA didnt test morse either...:confused:

Grasscarp
5th Aug 2007, 08:36
I well remember the morse test (pre JAA). The CAA invigilator, who was one of the not so friendly ones, stood over my desk watching me which didnt make it any easier. However, I passed!

F3
5th Aug 2007, 13:41
Grasscarp, was that the elderly guy with the beard?
He used to loose his temper with almost mundane regularity.
The morse code test was one of the most nerve wracking I think.

Grasscarp
5th Aug 2007, 14:26
This guy resembled Boris Yeltzin. The best bit was somebody went up to him and tried to give him some money before the exams began. There was something on the entry form about not being able to take an exam unless everything paid in full. He went mad and started shouting at him. I believe he is no longer with us now.

GNR
6th Aug 2007, 00:42
when i start my If training im going to teach myself morse, it makes things easier rather than having to look at the chart, morse is actually preatty easy to learn, Start off with stuff like learning your name in morse etc

Vone Rotate
7th Aug 2007, 14:43
Thanks for all your points of view people...
I think I will put it in my agenda of things to learn. Maybe I'll start by putting the CD on in the car (the mrs will love this idea!) or something.

Think I'll concentrate on my ATPL's then if I've not picked it up hit it harder before my IR.

Thanks again for peoples advice.

sparks-flying
7th Aug 2007, 16:23
V1 if you are learning ATPL with Bristol Ground School there is a morse trainer on the Jals software. I learnt morse between ATPL's and CPL training. It took no more than an hour and a half. (broken into 10 minute sessions)

SF