PDA

View Full Version : 8-9 months of flight training

dream747
2nd Aug 2007, 09:48
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering, realistically speaking after factoring all possible distruptions, is it possible to actually complete a CPL + MECIR within 8 to 9 months of flight training from 0 hours? The period I'm looking at is actually around November to early August.

Are there huge differences in flight training in OZ or NZ itself?

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

knox
2nd Aug 2007, 11:07
In a word..... yes.
Knew a guy that completed his cpl meir and instructors in 8 - 9 months.

Just depends on how much work you are prepared to put in, existing commitments, family etc.

Can't comment on the oz/nz differences.

Knox.

dream747
2nd Aug 2007, 11:12
I'd be able to train full time but I'm more concerned about factors like the weather, aircraft or instructor availability...etc.

Thanks!

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Aug 2007, 11:52
Don't see why not. I did my UPPL in 3 weeks in Oz, my CPL in 4 weeks in NZ, then validated my NZCPL and did my MEIR back in Oz in 10 days.

That would leave you a good 6 months to get the subjects and the minimum hours.

Don't think the syllabuses (syllabi ?) have changed much!

Dr :cool:

dream747
2nd Aug 2007, 12:27
Thanks for the replies... just wodnering why did you choose to do your CPL in NZ instead of everything in OZ?

I would like to do some reading up on the theory components first actually as I wouldn't be able to start anytime soon. Are there any good OZ or NZ CPL or even ATPL books around? All the recommended that I've come across are always Oxford or Bristol which are JAA (I believe there are a lot of differences?)

Cheers!

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Aug 2007, 13:00
Dream

The times I have given above are the time I took for the specific training.

There were gaps of several years between when I did the PPL, the CPL and the MEIR. I just happened to be working (not in aviation) in NZ when I did the CPL. In those days (mid-80's) you had to have 100 hrs on commercial ops in NZ to validate an NZCPL in Oz. Don't think that is still the case. My MEIR test was a combined CPL valiadtion test and MEIR initial issue.

I was just trying to illustrate that it is possible to go from ab initio to CPL and MEIR in 9 months, if you go at it pretty hard.

Not suggesting you do some in Oz and some in NZ.

Having trained and flown in Oz and NZ, I don't think there is much difference in terms of training. There are however clear differences in weather (often crap in NZ) and terrain (more cumulogranite in NZ) and much, much more mechanical turbulence in NZ.

When I did it, I reckon Oz trained pilots were better at navigating, but the Kiwi CPL demanded a higher level of aircraft handling skills [eg low level (as in 100 ft AGL) steep turns and turns around a point] and any NZ pilot who is not confident with X-wind landing is going to prang!

Dr :cool:

aldee
2nd Aug 2007, 19:25
I have a little experience with both countries training systems lately, here's what I've found.
I was 1 exam and quite a few hours into a CPL a in oz under the intergrated 150hr regime when some family requirements brought me back to NZ.
I am doing a CPL h in NZ currently and I plan to use that to finalise my CPL a in oz later.
The 150hr intergrated oz system allows you to bypass any ppl exams and only sit the cpl subjects whereas nz requires you to sit the ppl as well as cpl tests, 12 exams in all.
Oz exams are all cyber,you hit the button at the end and you have your result,nz is paper,you get your results within 7 working days.
The oz exams are based on Bob Tait although Trevor Thom is good reading,nz is based on Wagtendonk's Pilotbooks series.
Flying on the east coast of oz was relatively stable high pressure weather pattern stuff,NZ is all over the place, extremely variable down Canterbury where I am.
Christchurch does have a international training academy and November is not a bad time to be flying here,probably depends where you want to live/work.
Personally if I was on a mission to get a fixed wing license in as short a time as possible with minimal weather delays it would be hard to go past the east coast of NSW, having said that heli flying amongst the southern alps ain't half bad neither!

Good luck with your decision.

still smiling about the dr's cumulogranite
aldee

dream747
2nd Aug 2007, 21:44
Hey guys thanks very much for the responses I do appreciate it very much!

I could do training full time because I'd be waiting to start university during that 8-9 months and not want to waste that time away. Can't really decide whether OZ or NZ would be a better place to my training. Actually it is likely that my country prefers the JAA licence but it's way too expensive to do any sort of training in the UK compared to OZ or NZ. Does anyone has any idea which licence is easier or cheaper to convert to the JAA one if I have to one day?

Is it true that the NZCAA licence is closer to the requirements of the JAR ones? I quote this from a NZ flying school's website:

European Pilot Licence

The UK with the other European Economic Community (EEC) countries and seven other European Countries have transferred to a common Joint Aviation Authority Rules (JAR) and a common European Pilot Licence (EPL) over a five year period commencing the 1st January 1993.

The NZ CAA have restructured our Pilot Licenses to bring them into line with the draft JARs and the USA Federal Aviation Rules (FARs). Certification and approval is now required for Flying Training Organisations.

All the above indicate you will find the NZ Pilot Licence very similar to, if not the same as, the JAA Pilot Licence. Any JAA Pilot Licence flying requirements not included in the NZ Pilot Licence flying requirements will be made available at Air Academy Hastings, if students wish to complete the JAR requirements.

Mesopause
3rd Aug 2007, 18:24
The word is out that a new school in western australia called fast track pilot training is getting CPL's trained in 16 to 20 weeks and their pilots are going straight into airline jobs. I saw their website at

http://www.ftpilottraining.com

Does anyone else have any first hand knowledge of this mob???

Are they actually achieving this. Sounds too good to be true???

Berner
4th Aug 2007, 01:04
Meso,

See the post on the next page titled 'Anyone heard of this'. That's them

B

Yusef Danet
4th Aug 2007, 09:03
Having flown and trained on both sides of the Tasman, I can agree with the DrKiller. There is not a vast difference in the standards required, but the weather and terrain of your training school's location could be very significant if you're trying to get through quickly. It is difficult to generalise about weather and terrain of a place as big as Aus, but particularly in the early stages of training, you need decent weather, and you're more likely to find that in winter in Queensland than Palmerston North.

Why you would put a flying school on the east coast of a junction between two mountain ranges is beyond me.

Mesopause
4th Aug 2007, 09:37
FP ACE

I seem to be missing something here. Maybe u can fill in the pieces 4 me???

If I eventually get into VB I pay 4 the endorsement which I have been told is 30 to 40K. If I get accepted into the QF cadet pilot scheme I believe I have to part with 90K, several years of training and no guarantee of a job!!

Isn't this the same????

Am I really making a mistake paying 4 my endorsement with a regional to give me a leg up to get to the big boyz???

The other important point I have discovered is that with Fast Track I finish my CPL + CIR in 22 weeks on hteir Course 2, NOT 18 months.

Thats gotta be a bonus dosn't it??

Mez

dream747
4th Aug 2007, 14:35
But how often is it that their students complete their course within the time they advertise? Compared to the usual time required to gain the respective licences, theirs is definately much shorter!

Mesopause
6th Aug 2007, 16:20
I think from what I read on here they get done in time. There was a guy on another thread the other day who jumped in and said he had completed his course in 16 weeks to CPL at Fast Track. I guess you can call and ask them if you can speak to their students. That usually sorts these companies out. If they r unscrupulous they usually wont let u speak to any past students!!