PDA

View Full Version : Pitts crash

Kubota
24th Jan 2001, 19:43
Anyone know if it's true that another Smirnoff Pitts has crashed? If so, what's the state of the pilot(s)?

WildFrequency
24th Jan 2001, 21:41
Unfortuantly occured yesterday, where and what happened I do not know. The pilot and passenger are in hospital, once again do not know their condition. Wish them both a speedy recovery though.

Intheslot
24th Jan 2001, 22:29
Rumour has it that was an excellent attempt to get back to the Rnwy after an engine problem. (apparently after a spin). The driver is in Hospital and the outlook is positive. The backseater is in a better condition with just injuries to his ankle. Heres hoping that everything will turn out for the very best and our thoughts are with the families. Good luck
(this is just heresay so lets try and get some more gen)

4HolerPoler
26th Jan 2001, 01:29
They both seem to be doing well:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2"> I was at the hospital until 2100 today, 24th and both are stable and progressing well. At 17h00 they stopped Steve's sedation, and he was slowly starting to wake up. He should be fully awake later tonight.

Andy is responding well, but he is staying under sedation until they have assessed the state of his right ankle.</font>

The Ant
26th Jan 2001, 08:38
The two pilot's were Steve Heugh and Andy Harding. Steve is a highly experienced Pitts pilot and was the driving force behind the spin seminar held at the end of last year at AFB Langebaanweg. Andy is out from the UK, he is a Pitts owner, and was in South Africa specifically to do spin training.
The aircraft was ZS MDG, one of the Smirnoff aircraft. The sortie was for spinning, the excercise was done in the aerobatics box at Syferfontein with plenty of altitude.
The reason for the crash is uncertain. But hopefully with Steve being taken off sedation in the next day, he will be able to give a full account of what occured.

Warlock2000
27th Jan 2001, 20:10
Ant,

Please keep us informed.......
Too far to keep up, hope Steve recovers shortly.

[This message has been edited by Warlock2000 (edited 27 January 2001).]

Gunship
28th Jan 2001, 03:27
Steven,

I wish you a speedy recovery my friend.

Cheers,

Cassie

The Ant
28th Jan 2001, 10:35
Unfortunately, Steve has been put back under sedation. The moment he started recovering, he was insistent on removing the ventilator that is helping him to breath while his lungs recover. (He got a lot of vomit into his lungs). The doctors therefore felt it necessary to re-sedate him. Additionally they have found one of his lower vertebrae damaged, it will require fusion.
He will recover, there is no doubt about that, but it will be a little longer than initially hoped.
Andy is still touch and go about his foot, though with modern medicine they should be able to sort it out.

stiknruda
3rd Feb 2001, 19:58
The Ant

I was at the briefing - you therefore know who I am..

drop me a line, there's a good chap!

Stik

Gunship
11th Feb 2001, 22:18
Any further news re Steve will be appreciated.

Cheers

Gunship
;)
West Africa

stiknruda
12th Feb 2001, 14:56
Andy's wife arrived JHB this morning from the UK - her second visit to see him.

Will speak to her later this afternoon and will post re both chaps conditions.

Stik

stiknruda
13th Feb 2001, 19:26
Both chaps doing well - still induced comas, Steve communicative but still on ventilator and being assessed for another back op.

Andy awaiting ops on foot to heal before they start work on his back.

But generally improving.

Stik

Gunship
13th Feb 2001, 22:27
Hi Stik,

Much appreciated. If you do see Steven again please pass on my best regards as I am unfortunately cutt off via telephone. His wife obviously also does not check his mail.

Please tell him it's from Gunship in West Africa that lives in his home town and did instructors course with him.

Tx in advance !

Gunship
;)

stiknruda
14th Feb 2001, 02:20
Gunship - I'm back in the UK but hope to be over next month so will tell Steve then if I can't get a msg to him before. His wife is staying with family in JHB, hence the probable lack of mail, I'll give her a bell tomorrow for you.

Totsiens

Stik

The Ant
19th Feb 2001, 12:57
This is the latest as forwarded through SAAPA.

Thursday 15th February.

"I saw Steve and Andy tonight, and they are both doing well. Steve is off the sedation, but is still on a ventilator and cannot speak yet, but he communicates well with hand signals, and writes notes. He we put into a chair to-day, and we a little tired when I saw him tonight. I give him all the e-mails I gat to read, so if anyone wants to send him a message, via me, I will pass it on. He should be in the general ward next week, and then can receive visitors. Sharon and the family thank all those who have phoned and sent messages.
Andy's wife Enid is here from the UK,and he is doing well. The doctors are pleased with the progress of his foot,and did a skin graft last week. He is still quite heavily sedated, as they will only operate on his back this Saturday.

Dennis Spence"

The Ant
19th Feb 2001, 13:08
As posted on Sunday through SAAPA.

"Update on Steve and Andy, Sunday 18th February.

I saw Steve and Andy this afternoon and good news about Steve is that he had his last back operation yesterday, and he was able to speak to me for the first time since his accident. He is now completely off the sedation and the ventilator, but id wearing an oxygen mask. He says hi to all the guys that have sent e-mails to him and he is progressing well.
Andy is to have his back operation tomorrow morning, and then they will take him off the sedation. The doctors are very happy with his progress, but he is getting very frustrated at being sedated all the time. I hope that he will be able to speak to us by the end of this week.

Thanks to all that have sent messages via me.

Dennis Spence"

The Ant
28th Feb 2001, 22:35
Monday 26th February and Steve has been discharged from hospital. he is at his brothers house here in JNB until Thursday, as he has to have the stitches from his back removed on Wednesday. He will be going home to Cape Town on Thursday to recuperate, and he is now on line e-mail and his cell phone at 082 800-5833.

flickoff
1st Mar 2001, 01:34
and Andy?

stiknruda
1st Mar 2001, 15:02
Flikoff - Andy is doing well, just spoke to Dennis and another friend who saw him last night. He is understandably a little confused but can recall bits of the accident and is aware that he has hurt himself quite badly. Current thinking is that he should come home the week after next. His wife arrived for her third visit this morning and will stay for a week, I intend to go over late next week and spend some time with him, prior to his repatriation

Stik

stiknruda
3rd Mar 2001, 22:35
Spoke to Steve at his home today. A great relief to actually hear him. He's doing well with a positive prognosis and midset.

Andy also doing well but still can not speak (tracheaostomy). He's still in ICU but should all things being equal be shipped home in the next 2-3 weeks. I understand that Ipswich Hospital is making arrangements to rx him.

Gunship - told him to e-mail you!!

Stik