PDA

View Full Version : 767 Sim

Mr snuffaluffagus
2nd Aug 2007, 05:29
Anyone got any tips for flying a 767 sim with minimal experience. Got a QF check coming up soon, so any handy hints or tips would be much appreciated. (Couldn't find any info with a search for the topic, if there is a thread could you post a link)

P.S. I understand that sim checks help guage improvement from start to finish, please dont start bashing on me, all I want is a bit of guidance on what to expect.

P.S.S If you are an airline pilot who hates their employer or the employer of others, post your complaints about them somewhere other than this thread, i'm realy not interested:}

Bullethead
2nd Aug 2007, 08:30
The sim will more than likely be fixed configuration flaps wise with gear selection only available and the thrust should be vastly derated to make the thing a little easier to fly.

Just make sure you cover the basics such as before and after takeoff checklists such as you would in any aeroplane that you fly. If you have a routine for remembering to carry out procedures and checklists then use it. You won't be expected to know aircraft specific chex but if you think a certain checklist or procedure is required then call for it and the check pilot should carry it out.

Expect a normal takeoff and cleanup, some manouevering, an approach and more than likely a go around. Once established in the go around you might get a comment along the lines of "That's fine now just land straight ahead" if you do don't forget to say "Gear down"

It's years since I did mine and it was in a B747 Classic sim but the checker knew my background so I got a V1 cut on the first takeoff. Bit of a surprise.

Good luck.
BH.

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Aug 2007, 08:54
Ask for checklists and he'll probably just do them with little or no input from you...important however to ask for them.

A good way to keep your brief straight and logical is to use RANNW...Runway/Assymetric/Normal/Naviads/Notams/Weather. What runway/What will you do if an engine fails/on a normal departure/what navaids will you use on departure. Notams/weather...can you return to land or divert if engine failure after takeoff?

They will (should) give you some target attitudes and thrust settings for various phases of flight...S&L @ 250KIAS that sort of thing...KNOW them and FLY THEM exactly with small corrections around those basic parameters for deviations...in a jet you live or die on the ADI.

Keep it trimmed...the 767 electric trim doesn't have a 'clacker' to give you an indication of movement and there is no manual trim wheel...because the aircraft is LOTS bigger and heavier than you are, presumably, use to it will be difficult to 'know' you're in trim by control feel....so do small, rapid inputs and then relax and see how close you are...do you understand what I mean?

Click,click,click check...click, click, check.

Remember those big underslung engines...increase thrust and nose will pitch up and decrease thrust it will pitch down...it is not hard to control and very quickly becomes second nature....reduce thrust add back pressure and trim and visa versa...if you make small corrections you'll hardly notice it unless you don't keep in trim.

Thrust reductions from climb thrust to low altitude/slow cruise..say 3000'/250kts will require a huge movement of the thrust levers...it will feel almost like selecting flight idle.

Remember Thrust = IAS and Attitude = Flight path.

If you find yourself flying along on one engine with the control column turned one way or the other you have the wrong rudder input...say for instance the right engine is failed and you find to maintain heading you constantly have the control yoke turned to the left you need more left rudder...if the right control horn is down you need less left rudder. The right amount of rudder for any engine out case will result in a level control yoke (min drag).

If they want to see you return to the field and carry out an approach and landing the little catch all I use to get back on the ground without forgetting anything is AAABBC..I call it "3As, 2Bs and a C".

ATIS

Approach in box. (you probably won't use the FMC in your sim ride...he might want to though so perhaps mention it to him)

Autobrakes (use autobrake setting 2 for your sim ride...will equal about 7000' landing distance with idle reverse)

Bugs. Double bug Vref 30, 1 bug on Vref 30 + 40kts = flaps 5 manouver speed, and 1 bug on Vref30 + 80Kts = Flaps 0/clean manouver speed. Don't try an intercept the glideslope of an ILS at less than Flaps 5/more than Vref30+40...the aeroplane will NOT slow down resulting in having to use the gear as a speed brake on the ILS to get configured for landing.

Brief. Either hand over to the instructor and brief the approach yourself or ask him to brief the salient points and tune/ident the aids for you. I suggest the latter or if he insists you do so hand over to him ("You have Control"/"I have control") Just cover the chart number and date, 25nm MSA, inbound course and frequency, starting height, check ht, minima (bug it and check his) and the missed approach. Keep it quick and simple...34L ILS, 11-?, dated 23 jun 07, 25nm MSA is XXXX", procedure starts at XXXX', call the check ht 1600'/x DME, minima 220' bugged and cross checked, missed approach maintain runway heading climb 3000'..any questions?

If you want to REALLY impress mention fuel (Lower center overhead panel) after he says "No questions"...roughly 1700kg to fly another approach and 1.5minutes/kg..2000kg/30minutes holding...perhaps that is too smart so just mention the fuel considerations.

He'll just really like to see that you thought about it rather than displaying any type specific knowledge in that area.

Checklist. Carry out Approach checklist...it's on your control column.

They will probably let you land it...it's not generally something they'll mark you on but it's nice to leave a good impression. To give yourself the best chance at a reasonable landing (you might even jag a greaser) starting at Vref 30+ 5kts minimum/on glidesope/thrust stable when the radalt calls "Thirty"' just gently pitch the nose up 3 degrees or so and then hold that attitude..when it says "Ten" slide the thrust levers closed. DO NOT keep flaring like you would in a lighty... you'll float at best, particularly if a little fast, or you'll tail strike...probably both...as you close the thrust levers just don't let the aircraft pitch down...hold the landing attitude (2 or 3 degrees nose up) and just let it land.

If you are on glideslope and on speed/thrust stable when you do the above you will touch down in the touchdown zone...perhaps a little firm...but that is fine...he'll be impressed that you display an understanding of the importance of touching down in the right place and on speed rather than risking 200 pax/expensive aeroplane fecking around like you're in a Cessna.

I think I have told you too much:E

Tidbinbilla
2nd Aug 2007, 09:10
Not really, Chuck.

Nice heads up ;)

Tid.

Towering Q
2nd Aug 2007, 10:50
Yeah, nice work Chuck, I was getting sweaty palms towards the end there.:eek:

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Aug 2007, 12:31
Good one Chuck!

Think I'll put my hand up for a sim ride too. Even I should be able to nail it after that briefing!

Dr :cool:

allthecoolnamesarego
2nd Aug 2007, 12:42
DO NOT USE THE RUDDERS IN NORMAL SYMMETRICAL FLIGHT!!!!!

Place your feet on the floor NOT ON, OR NEAR the rudders - DO NOT USE THEM.

Chuckles points are good, but don't get too sexed up with BRF's etc. You will probably find you will call for 'take off' checks for example and they will say 'complete'. Know and fly the ATTITUDES and POWERS - practice these in your head as often as you can. Once you have set those, DON'T MESS WITH THEM. The SIM is a computer game - if you put the little ones and zero's where they should be - the thing will fly itself. I did my sim a few years ago, and found it was sensitive in aileron - even the slightest pressure would cause it to roll. Set it, then only leave you hand lightly on the yoke.

Remember what I said about the rudders - DON"T TOUCH THEM

Cheers

fighterdown
3rd Aug 2007, 06:06
i did mine fairly recently

a normal departure, some manourvering, a vor intercept followed by an approach i went outside the limits and called for the go around, conducted the approach again and landed off it.

all pretty good they dont expect too much, just do your best and communicate

slice
3rd Aug 2007, 07:15
Mr snuffle - this sim ride is basically an IF proficiency check / test. If you have the briefing material you will know that there is no FMC autothrottle etc. Mostly flown at flap 5 170kts. No brief for the approach - all covered preflight. They don't want to see how much you know about the 767 but how well you do an NDB intercept, ILS etc in an unfamiliar aircraft.

FlyingChipmunk
3rd Aug 2007, 12:36
I am still holding my breath after reading the fantastic post....:D

Borneo Wild Man
3rd Aug 2007, 18:37
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzuzzzz Chimbu,
You should be a Training Captain,
Its simple,
PLANE/PATH/PEOPLE or AVIATE/NAVIGATE/COMMUNICATE

Borneo Wild Man
3rd Aug 2007, 18:58
Im usually a flare at 20 RA man 767 or 30 RA 777 of course depending on final ROD and WX but CC your telling the story-your next landing with me better be pretty good!!!!!!!!i:D

Towering Q
3rd Aug 2007, 22:59
Is that thunder?..no, just rumblings between the skygods.:rolleyes: