PDA

View Full Version : A Sierra Leone Licence A Day Keeps The Inspector Away...Not!

Boss Raptor
2nd Nov 2000, 13:02
It has become apparent that the previous regime in Sierra Leone was rather 'generous' with it's issuance of flight crew licences!

It appears a UK based representative was authorised to issue licences with no reference to ICAO standards or procedures being observed...and of more concern a valid 'host' licence would seem not to have always been required.

Said representative supplied word processor templates to the 'wannabe SL Captains' and they simply fired up MS Word and did the rest...no doubt for their mates as well. Same representative is still believed involved with two other Flag of Convenience nations to this day.

This post is not intended to stir up the old 'incompetent African CAA' ravings but as a warning to all you other raptors and management pilots to watch out for these interesting pieces of aviation fiction and their itinerant holders - I am sure the regulatory authorities are already doing so, but surely not even these guys would be stupid enough to offer one officially to a Flight Crew Licensing Department.

(I have both experience and confidence in the new, post ICAO Quality Assurance Program, African CAA's and they are fighting very hard against official bureaucracy and corruption - keep it up guys...)

Happy Hunting...

B Sousa
3rd Nov 2000, 22:12
Its good to hear about licensing in Africa. It keeps the Value of American, Canadian and UK licenses up.

The Guvnor
4th Nov 2000, 12:19
Boss Raptor - you wouldn't be talking about a certain gentleman based in Kent, who has also been the 'aviation authority' for Liberia and currently Equatorial Guinea, perchance? I'm surprised that the DETR hasn't shut him down! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

[This message has been edited by The Guvnor (edited 04 November 2000).]

ZambAero
4th Nov 2000, 21:02
Stop attacking everything that others do in Africa. You are an admitted holder of a fraudulent Nigerian licence, not to mention your Kiribati forgery.

The Guvnor
4th Nov 2000, 22:21
Have I hit a raw nerve there, eh Freeboot oops, Who?, oops Zambaero. What licence are YOU running around on then, eh? Wouldn't happen to be a Sierra Leone - or Liberian - or Equatorial Guinea one then, eh? :) :)

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Boss Raptor
4th Nov 2000, 22:46
I have only seen the inter authority memos and chat with my Flight Ops. Inspectors on this...

You appear to know what's been going on Guvnor...tell more?

Wouldn't use that Nigerian licence if I were you, with ICAO all over the 'new' Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority...and all over West Africa as well!

The Unteleported Man
6th Nov 2000, 11:12
B Sousa

Yes, I agree, a SA Licence isn't all it used to be but if you look at the ATP scam thread you'll see that there are many people who've done things the right way. Look further and you'll see we're making a genuine effort to sort out the problem and remove the rot.

The whole reason that this has aquired 'scam' status is because there's a real desire to maintain standards in SA; elsewhere this would probably go straight under the carpet.

[This message has been edited by The Unteleported Man (edited 06 November 2000).]