PDA

View Full Version : SA Express

Kittycat
1st Aug 2007, 21:10
Can anybody please send me the recruitment email address for express,:confused: Seems like my search button doesnt want to work tonight.... Thanks a mil

nugpot
2nd Aug 2007, 06:28
Check your PM.

Mungalui
5th Aug 2007, 11:24
Hi there
I am also looking for the recruitment e-mail address of SAX. Can anybody please help me.
Regards,
Munga

JetNut
6th Aug 2007, 07:46
Some advice for you newbies. It worked for me years ago.

step 1: Build a professional CV
step 2: Put it in an A4 envelope addressed to the Chief Pilot.
step 3: Make a personal trip to the SAX office at O.R. Tambo.
step 4: Ask to speak to someone regarding pilot recruitment.
step 5: if no-one is available, drop off your envelope with the receptionist.
step 6: continuously phone/harass them to find out whether they've reviewed your CV.

notes: If you think that by simply sending an email you'll get an interview, think again. Unfortunately in South Africa, recruitment is not a strong point (the people at HR a clueless). Only by banging on doors and practically harassing the chief pilot (unless your daddy knows someone) will they even look at you.

You'll probably draw blood from a stone, before you get an acknowledgment of receipt from an email:uhoh:.

luther55
6th Aug 2007, 09:15
Well said jetnut.Only by putting in effort you will reap the juicy rewards.I was also on that rd once,decided to phone around instead.Goodluck
oh an make some well informed friends that helps.

Jedi Pirate
9th Aug 2007, 07:04
"step 1: Build a professional CV"

any advice on said professional CV? i.e format / contents etc

anyone have an example they willing to share?

finally, is it recommended to put a photo on front page of CV? i feel it is so that anyone reviewing it can put a face to a name and possibly recognise you when you go visit / meeting / interview etc

Deskjocky
10th Aug 2007, 06:54
My personal opinion regarding CV's is to keep it brief and to the point- 2 pages, maybe 3 max. If they like what they see they will find out more either on the phone or in an interview.

reptile
10th Aug 2007, 07:29
Having been a member of the interview panel at SAX a number of times - the following observations:

1. CV's should not be longer than three pages.

2. Fancy plastic or cardboard covers are not required. Those get pulled off and tossed away as soon as the CV lands at the company. Having said that, if you want your cv to "stand out", use slightly heavier paper.

2. Pertinent information should be on the first page:
*Name
*License details
*Total flying hours
*Multi time

3. No need to expand too much on the schools you went to and activities you participated in. Boy Scout membership is worth a lot less than you think.

3. Make 100% sure that your contact details are correct. It's astonishing to see how many guys/girls qualify, but then turn out to be un-contactable.

4. If you know pilots in the company, list them under your references. A good word from someone inside is worth at least 750hrs on your CV (so to speak).

5. If you get invited for an interview, wear a jacket and tie -first impressions last.

6. Bring your logbook and license along.

7. Bring an updated one page CV on the day of your interview.

8. Out of personal experience: A passport size picture on the one page CV is very important. After interviewing 30 people in one day, it's very difficult to put faces to names.

Finally, relax. The interview panel is not there to catch you out or to make your name ass. They simply want to meet you and verify that you are in fact the person described in your CV (after all, someone with 1000 flying hours should have a working knowledge of AWOPS - for example).

Jacobest
10th Aug 2007, 08:22
Here is a quick question for all you okes

I got phoned recently for an interview, but they said i must move back to jo-burg, so i said i would think about it. What is Sa-Express's policy regarding outstation living, and was this woman i spoke to taking a chance when she said that. Should I speak to someone higher up rather

Thanks

reptile
10th Aug 2007, 08:31
You may commute if you wish, but it would be at own expence. You will regret that decision very quickly however. Ask nugpot for more information in that regard - he has first hand experience.

Keep in mind that on your standby days you must be able to report to base within 60 minutes of call-out. This means that you would have to sit out your standby in JNB.

Jacobest
10th Aug 2007, 08:46
Firstly, its nugpot who took my cv in, thanks for the info though Reptile. In that case its an easy decision then, why would I want to go and sit right seat on a Dash8 now for less money for four years while I am busy with my command training on the C-130? I heard though that Airlink is screaming for captains on the J41's, might even take on contract guys, maybe something to do on the month off

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Aug 2007, 16:27
Jorg, perhaps......?:ok::E

Jedi Pirate
11th Aug 2007, 06:53
thx reptile, great advice:D

nyaminyami
11th Aug 2007, 07:24
good advice reptile, will definitely heed it.

it seems that all the recruitment at the moment is by link. SAX appear to be very quiet, are they planning an intake in the near future? what chances of a cape town base?

nugpot
11th Aug 2007, 09:08
SAX just took 22 pilots. There are quite a few upgrades to be done, so the training department is maxed out for the year. Interviews will continue for possible employment early next year.

Jaco, the lady you spoke to is a well-respected captain at SAX and was just giving you the correct info. SAX has 2 bases (CPT and JNB) and it is almost impossible to commute and still have a life. We fly all 4-sector days and as reptile said, you have to be available for standby's.

For all those interested in a career at SAX: The employment process is changing to a more structured approach. You will be called for an initial interview at which you will write a technical/aviation knowledge quiz. Your marks for this quiz will be extremely important for future slots. You will also have a short "get to know you" interview. Guys/girls who impress here, will go on to a shortlist for future employment. When SAX needs pilots, those shortlisted will be called for the main interview and psycho's. We do not currently have access to a local sim, so we cannot give you a sim ride.

I completely agree with reptile's inputs on CV's. Just some added info. You are considered for a flying position at an airline. Your school career 10 years ago is not important. Tertiary qualifications should at least be mentioned. SAX will give you initial CRM, DG, AVMED, Fire-fighting training, so whether you have those qualifications is also pretty unimportant.

It is very important that your flying qualifications (ATP, Comm, Instructor's rating) and hours can be found easily in your CV. They are the main qualifying criteria. If you want to make things easier for the guy who vets the CV's, break down your hours as follows:

Turbine hours:
Multi-engine hours:
Multi-crew hours: (Van hours should NOT feature here)
Command hours:
Total hours:

Initial employment at SAX is FO on the fleet that is short. That can be JNB DH8, JNB CRJ or CPT CRJ. There are currently guys in JNB who want CPT slots, so it will probably take a while before CPT slots are again available. You can decide to wait for a particular fleet, but obviously it might mean that you never get in.

CV's go straight to the Chief Pilot and Fleet Captains. HR struggle to make this happen, so first choice is for you to pop in to the office in JNB and speak to one of these gentlemen. Your chances of finding them in the office are increased on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Second choice is to give your CV to a mate that flies for SAX and ask him to drop it off. If you don't have mates or are not in the country, PM me for my email address and I will make sure it gets there.

Any other questions? ;)

Q4NVS
11th Aug 2007, 09:09
In that case its an easy decision then, why would I want to go and sit right seat on a Dash8 now for less money for four years while I am busy with my command training on the C-130?

It depends on your longterm plan - do you want to stay in Contracts? If so then do not join the list of Contract Guys who consistently complain that they cannot get Airline Jobs.

it seems that all the recruitment at the moment is by link. SAX appear to be very quiet, are they planning an intake in the near future? what chances of a cape town base?

The difference between SAX and Link is that the latter is finding it extremely difficult to find suitably qualified candidates to work for them (for reasons that are common knowledge), therefore all the newspaper adds.

:}

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Aug 2007, 18:04
Nugs, you're a scholar and a gentleman. Your willingness to help us noobs is worthy of maningi skokiana and nubile grape peeling virgins to cater to your every whim.

Fly safe and prosper...:ok:

TwinJock
24th Aug 2007, 13:01
Worked for SAX for 5 years - at present most likely the best airline to work for in SA:ok:

Propellerpilot
26th Aug 2007, 11:40
Sorry for the ignorance of a C210 Pilot close to 1000 hrs - just shortly someone explain AWOPS. I've heard the term somewhere but seems to be something well worth knowing.

beckers
26th Aug 2007, 12:44
AWOPs - All weather operations

In other words all the stuff around flying IFR. The legal requirement like take-off minima, landing minima, alternate requirements, fuel requirements etc.

Can alos include reading and understanding Jeppessen manuals etc.

Basically all the stuff you need to know (or where to find info) when flying IFR or also the stuff they ask you on when you go for an interview.

Start reading through and understanding your Jepp - then good luck for the future;)

nugpot
26th Aug 2007, 12:46
PPP,

AWOPS= All Weather Operations. Read the AIC.

General limitations for diversions, Precision and Non-precision approaches, etc.

Propellerpilot
26th Aug 2007, 13:45
Thank you ! Rang a Bell but wasn't shure so I thought I'd just quickly ask. Constantly flying VFR is a bitch... but works most of the time here in Namibia.

Yes - what you say is so true about knowing the Jepp etc. My last DE told me about these interviews and the questions they ask - recently there was this whole court case about some co-pilot being fired and the captain losing his patience with him, as he didn't have a clue what to do when being requested to "get Maputo on the ZIGDEX". The court said the guy was rightfully fired as he could not perform his duties properly by not knowing the term. Don't want to be in that situation when the :mad:it hits the fan !!!:ugh:

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Aug 2007, 10:22
AWOPS = All Weather Operations = IFR procedures and regulations.

mach decimal 83
29th Aug 2007, 21:21
I've written most of the Q & A down after my interviews, so pm me, and i'll forward it to whoever needs some help

Good luck.

nugpot
29th Aug 2007, 21:53
I've written most of the Q & A down after my interviews, so pm me, and i'll forward it to whoever needs some help

The interview process and questions were changed after your intake .83. You will know why.