PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 310 whereabouts

Bogey 10
1st Aug 2007, 05:48
One of the previous threads reminded me of the one of the first twins I ever flew, a C310 ZS-IOM. What a lovely aeroplane. As a matter of interest I am trying to find its where abouts these days. It was based at FADN in late 70's early 80's and operated by a charter company owned by the late Peter Savage. Does anyone know if it is still flying and if so where?

Wayne FORGET
1st Aug 2007, 08:57
I was in the same boat a while ago trying to locate ZS-ICW and finally found it thanks to

http://www.avdex.co.za/saregister/html/reglogout.asp

Bogey 10
1st Aug 2007, 21:16
Had no luck on Avdex hence the post.

BB954
3rd Aug 2007, 06:47
Bogey 10

ZS-IOM was originally owned from new by Rennies Air Natal and on the demise of that company passed into ownership of Air Carriers. It was considered the "Personal Ship" of the late Alan Williams, Ops Director of the company, but some of us other pilots there got our hands on it occasionally. As far as I remember it developed a serious corrosion problem in the eighties and had to be eventually scrapped. I flew it when it was nearly new and it was a very nice aircraft to fly. We had a very good maintainance set-up at Rennies in those days!!! For more info. suggest you try some of the older engineers at FAVG who may remember the old bird.

Hope this helps.

TW

Bogey 10
3rd Aug 2007, 13:42
TW
Thanks, that answers my question. Where you still at Rennies Air Natal when it became Avna Rennies flying Chieftans?

BB954
3rd Aug 2007, 17:14
Bogey 10

Check your PMs.

TW

Flyingon
20th Aug 2016, 11:05
I am adding a message to a thread that started over nine years ago and the last message before this one was added nine years ago.
I used to fly the Cessna 310, ZS IOM during the first half of 1983. Mainly flying the Magnum Airlines Schedule from Durban to Vryheid and return twice a day plus various charter flights. It was owned by Peter Savage and operated by Air Carriers based at Louis Botha Airport.
On the 3rd of June 1983 I flew IOM to Comair at Virginia to have its annual inspection. That was the last time that the aircraft ever flew. The corrosion of the main spar was too advanced for the aircraft to pass the inspection and the aircraft was scrapped.

Bogey 10
24th Aug 2016, 11:22
Thanks Flyingon