PDA

View Full Version : FAA Instrument rating privileges

Lenticular
31st Jul 2007, 17:51
Does anyone know where to find information on what you can and cannot do with an FAA instrument rating in the UK?

I thought that if you had an FAA licence with an instrument endorsement you would be restricted to flying a helicopter on the American register. However, I had a conversation the other day and it seems that because the FAA licence is an ICAO licence and that the JAA recognise ICAO licences you can fly a G reg heli IFR but not in Class A airspace. Sounds fishy to me. Any comments?

hihover
31st Jul 2007, 21:34
That sounds correct to me, let me look into it and I'll get you the right ref. I think you will find it in LASORS A7.

Lenticular
1st Aug 2007, 08:28
Thanks hihover, your reference to LASORS A7 does seem to answer, in part at least, the query I had.
It does not mention specific classes of airspace only controlled airspace.
You could argue that all the classes of airspace are controlled but with different restrictions so if you are IMC in class G airspace thereby requiring to comply with IFR you are outside the privileges of the agreement.

It would appear to be next to useless as a rating in the UK on UK registered aircraft or am I missing something.

It also mentions no instruction and no hire & reward which again renders it next to useless.

hihover
1st Aug 2007, 11:32
I think you'll find that only A,B,C and D are regarded as Controlled Airspace. 'B' doesn't exist in UK as far as I am aware. 'F' and 'G' are open FIR and the privileges of the FAA License/IR could be exercised there but not for instruction and not for hire or reward.

I'm not sure why this agreement exists but it seems to point to the private user with the right tickets having the ability to get around the UK in a 'G' registered aircraft and, allowing the FAA Licence holder living in the UK to maintain a level of proficiency on instruments.

Do remember, of course, the FAA licence, medical and IR must all be current and must not restrict this type of flight.

Is there something specific you want to do or is this just a point of interest?