PDA

View Full Version : Sky Wisdom Airlines

whiowhio
31st Jul 2007, 17:13
Hi Team
Its the Lyneham guy again
This time looking for a guide to where I might get some info on this old outfit - Google fails me (!)

An 82 yr old client of mine asked me for some gen and spec on the "Douglas Skymaster", as this was the aircraft type that she first flew in to the Gulf area where here husband was involved in the oil industry. Did as she requested without any probs of course.....

However today, to my astonishment, she produced a small b/w photo of (apparently) a DC4 depicting her neath and inboard engine (incredible paddles!) and just enough of the 'roof' to read SKY WISDOM AIRLINES (wondering now if was WIZDOM) - staggered, cos was a keen spotter years ago, grew up in light aviation and eventually transferred to BOAC/BA and never heard of them...

Await a flood of info from the more knowledgeable!

Tks in Anticipation
Rod.

BOAC
31st Jul 2007, 18:27
Popping you into a 'nostalgic' forum where you will find more grey-haired gents (and ladies, of course:eek:).

renfrew
31st Jul 2007, 18:42
In 1948 SKYWAYS were operating to the Gulf under charter to BOAC.

whiowhio
31st Jul 2007, 19:07
Cheers "Speedbird"

Rod.

renfrew
2nd Aug 2007, 13:52
After consulting Google it looks as though this was DC-4 G-AJPL of Skyways with aircraft name Sky Wisdom.
It crashed at Tripoli in 1949.

whiowhio
2nd Aug 2007, 18:32
Renfrew
Many THANKs

However, interested to know how you got the answer thru Google. I originally inserted 'Sky Wisdom Airlines' and got no answer. However, have just done the same and this this Pprune thread appears!

Whio

renfrew
2nd Aug 2007, 22:40
I think I just started from Skyways.
Anyway if you put in-Skyways DC-4 Tripoli- you will find the crash details and registration G-AJPL.
Then inserting G-AJPL produced a site which gives aircraft name as Sky Wisdom.

pigboat
2nd Aug 2007, 22:51
Synopsis of the accident here. (http://www.planecrashinfo.com/1949/1949-12.htm)

whiowhio
3rd Aug 2007, 10:05
Cheers ALL
Much Appreciated.
Whio.