PDA

View Full Version : Pilots - What would you say?

AdamC
31st Jul 2007, 14:26
In the event of having a "technical problem" anything at all, but nothing that warrents a pan/mayday what do/would you say to us in the back?

I guess the same applies to the CC if they are told to make an announcment about the situation.

It's just I got passed a link of a FR flight and the CC making an announcment, which really I think could alarm passengers when there is really no need.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qmHTXxMaD1M

FLCH
31st Jul 2007, 15:13
I'd tell everyone the truth in a plain simple manner, and what I was planning to do about it.

TightSlot
31st Jul 2007, 15:30
Why do you think it could "alarm passengers"?

Bealzebub
31st Jul 2007, 15:40
It really does depend AdamC,

Most pilots would tell you that rarely a week goes by without having some sort of technical problem or other. This might range from tempramental cabin temperature sensors/controls, unserviceable Auxilliary power units, inoperative guages, downgraded autoflight modes. There are not many flights that depart without some sort of acceptable deferred defect, and few flights that do not generate them.

What you tell the passengers is a matter of common sense and what might noticably affect them. If a defect is likely to result in any degree of passenger inconvenience or potential discomfort, or if a defect requires a change to the normal cabin operating environment, then it is entirely appropriate that an apology, comment or reassuring referral is made from the flight deck and preferrably the Captain.

On the other hand if the passenger is unlikely to either notice or be affected by a defect or abnormal occurance it is highly unlikely that any mention would be made of it. As you point out some passengers can be alarmed by having their attention drawn to something that they may not fully understand. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that the flight crew are employed to safely and efficiently operate an aircraft and to deal with any minor or indeed major matters that might occur from time to time.

It is normally for the Captain to decide, in consultation with the rest of the crew, if and when an address needs to be made to the passengers. In a few circumstances where there is an imperitive need or a standard operational requirement the decision may fall to another crew member. Common sense and experience will obviously be the foundation for any announcements. Even when an announcement is or might be considered necessary, there is a still a need to prioritize tasks and it might be a while before such an announcement is made. Despite all this it, never hurts for us pilots to remind ourselves from time to time that there are other real people sat behind that steel door.

Final 3 Greens
31st Jul 2007, 15:55
Why do you think it could "alarm passengers"?

IMHO most travellers are relatively inexperienced and a 'technical problem' sounds like 'emergency' to them.

Maddie
1st Aug 2007, 20:46
I was on a flight recently and the doors had been closed and the jetway taken away I think, when the captain announced that there was a technical problem, that the cockpit door was not secure and that an engineer had to be called to look at it.

This was the Tuesday after the attempted London and Glasgow bombings. I was flying on an Ireland/UK commuter flight.

Does anybody think that this was reasonable information to disclose, or should the Captain, perhaps have just said that there was a small technical problem without disclosing the detail.

PAXboy
2nd Aug 2007, 00:35
MaddieDoes anybody think that this was reasonable information to disclose, or should the Captain, perhaps have just said that there was a small technical problem without disclosing the detail.
One passenger will be glad to have detailed information and weigh up the delay. As the door will be open, it should be possible to make a phone call and advise the destination.
One passenger will be very concerned that the door will not be closed properly and that it could open in flight, or cause a pressure problem or, or SOMETHING!!!!

One passenger will not hear the announcement and think that everything is normal.
One passenger will go back to sleep.
One passenger will be irritated that the delay will cause their child to become fractious.
etceteraThe captain cannot know how the pax will react and, in my humble opinion, giving the maximum information is what I always want. If someone is going to panic, then they will find something to panic about door/toilet/engines. I suspect that many pax don't listen to what is said anyway.

Glamgirl
6th Aug 2007, 03:04
If any of the Captains I fly with made an announcement equivalent to the one from ryanair, I would ask them to be more specific. Not because I feel I have the right to tell the Captain what to do or how to do his/her job, but because I do a lot of work with fearful flyers and I know that even slightly nervous pax hear DANGER when we say "technical problem". If the problem is explained, then pax can decide for themselves how to react. Basically, most pax need reassurance that they're not going to die. Simple.

Gg

AdamC
6th Aug 2007, 14:51
The point I am getting at is at 36000ft or whatever and you hear the words "technical problems" the normal person would get a little scared! - Then again at the end of the day, if the captain gave a lot of tech talk over the P/A to pax then we'd more than likely get more frightened.

I'd 100% prefer the announcment come from the pointy end if at all possible rather than from the cabin crew.

Rainboe
6th Aug 2007, 15:13
Nothing wrong at all there. you have to remember, when you have to return to departure point with a tech problem, you are not only dealing with the tech problem, but getting ATC clearances AND reprograming the aeroplane and briefing the other pilot on the new procedure you are going to carry out. I would imagine the Captain was too busy to even talk on the PA. There is no point in getting too technical- it will only alarm those who don't understand. Any special procedures resulting from the failure should be outlined. Tell the truth, and don't sound alarmed or stressed. For instance we had an engine failure out of 4 in which we continued to destination- we didn't bother telling people until after landing. After being told in a twin we had left our wheel bearings behind, I just briefed everybody that the cabin crew would outline emergency evacuation procedures to them should it be needed, however I said I was convinced it was a false warning and nothing would come of it as how did they know it was us? I simply said please wait and I will speak again as soon as we finish the landing roll.
For the door, that was quite correct. He's giving a clue what the problem is You wouldn't despatch until it was repaired anyway, so no harm in being that precise.
Whatever you say will not please everyone!