PDA

View Full Version : Light Twin down 60km north of MEL

Cool banana
31st Jul 2007, 12:45
Any news on a reported light twin that’s has gone down 60 km north of Melbourne, believed they have located some wreckage, doesn’t look good but just hope all well.

puff
31st Jul 2007, 13:11
Two dead in light plane crash By Jamie Duncan
July 31, 2007 10:22pm
Article from: AAP
TWO people have died in a light plane crash north of Melbourne.

The wreckage of a twin-engined Aero Commander was found by a search helicopter crew in trees near the tiny town of Clonbinane, near Wandong, about 60km north of Melbourne, about 9.45pm (AEST) today, Victoria Police spokesman Wayne Wilson said.

There were no other people on board the flight.

The identities of the victims are not yet known.

Police believe the fatal flight took off from Essendon Airport bound for Shepparton, 180km northeast of Melbourne.

A search for the aircraft was sparked in the Wandong-Mt Disappointment area after residents reported hearing a light plane in trouble, followed by an explosion, about 8.20pm.

The plane came down near Drag Hill and Raynors roads, south of Clonbinane and northwest of Mt Disappointment.

Earlier tonight, the weather bureau issued a severe weather warning for western and central districts of Victoria, including the crash site, for severe winds averaging 75km/h with gusts to 110km/h, especially in elevated areas.

The area is near the top of the Great Dividing Range.

Monument Hill, a short distance west of the crash site, rises to 480m above sea level.

Police have sealed off the area and are awaiting the arrival of crash investigators.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22169185-2,00.html

kiwiblue
31st Jul 2007, 13:19
Sad news. Condolences to family & friends. RIP

TeeTail
31st Jul 2007, 23:02
Does anyone know if the severe mountain waves and severe turbulance that were forecast might have contributed?

My Condolences to family and friends.

TT

Critical Reynolds No
1st Aug 2007, 00:11
I'd like to add my condolences as well.

I live near ES and heard this one depart to the north last night. Nothing out of the ordinary but it sounded like it was being buffeted by the 30kts winds at the time. Would've been very uncomfortable flying conditions.

Howard Hughes
1st Aug 2007, 00:15
Does anyone know if the severe mountain waves and severe turbulance that were forecast might have contributed?
NO! And anyone that claims to, is merely speculating!

With the accident investigators only just arriving on scene, why not let them do their job and wait for the facts as they emerge.

My thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones.

nig&nog
1st Aug 2007, 00:30
Condolances to the two amazing people that lost their lives last night. our thoughts go out to the remaining family and those around the place today.There influence in many of our futures.

with respects and condolances

2 former collegues.

No Further Requirements
1st Aug 2007, 01:01
Thread running here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=286228

Cheers,

NFR.

34R
1st Aug 2007, 01:02
Very sad news indeed.

My deepest sympathy and respect to those who are closely affected.

A lot of people will feel the enormity of this.

lokione
1st Aug 2007, 01:16
I have just found out an old friend was on board. Once the names are released I will say more here however I just want to say that it is a sad day for aviation in Aust. RIP to them and sincere heartfelt condolences to the families.

hung start
1st Aug 2007, 01:23
Condolances
Sorry to hear the news , I new the man for 25 years and had / have a lot of respect for him and his team .Will miss your cunning wit . Bet you didnt give up without a fight .
Condolences to the family and staff .

kam16
1st Aug 2007, 01:24
WellHung

See your PM's
Cheers
kam

ALLICEDUP
1st Aug 2007, 01:27
My Condolances to the two families involved, two wonderful people lost that are well known to many of us. He taught me a lot in my time with the company and I had a lot of respect for him and his knowledge, whilst she was a lovely woman who was always happy and up for a chat and a laugh.

Very sad day indeed.

puff
1st Aug 2007, 01:31
Terrible accident and I think everyones thoughts are with the whole team down there who are totally guttered by this accident.

Tragically aviation takes away more good people from us far too early :(

QFinsider
1st Aug 2007, 01:49
a very sad day, I am hoping it isn't who I think it is.

Condolences to all those affected.

trashie
1st Aug 2007, 02:01
My heart felt condolences to both families for their tragic loss. I did not know the pilot, but her passenger was a long time friend who shared in both the good and some bad times. He built an empire that has provided many with their first opportunity in aviation and who remain indebted to him for that start.

His love of his family was the only love greater than that for the aircraft he operated.

He will be sadly missed RIP mate, I am sure they serve it on tap up there.

capt available
1st Aug 2007, 02:41
Spent a year working for old mate, and as we all know a tough but fair bloke to work for. knew other crew member well as well.

it will be hard but i hope the place continues to do as well as it has

thoughts are with family and friends.

RIP

triadic
1st Aug 2007, 03:14
In a word "tragic".

Have known him since the Exec days at EN in the '70's and a top bloke and good mate. He will be missed by an industry that needs lots more with his drive and passion for moving ahead.

My thoughts are with his family, friends and workmates.

RIP

bazza stub
1st Aug 2007, 03:52
Sad event indeed.

Anyone know who the opeator is, or was it private?

Diatryma
1st Aug 2007, 04:06
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22170298-953,00.html

A QUEENSLAND man who died in an air crash north of Melbourne last night has been named as 50-year-old aviation engineer Steve Nott.
Mr Nott, from Cairns, died when a twin-engined plane being piloted by a 34-year-old Victorian woman crashed near Clonbinane, 60km north of Melbourne, at 8.20pm yesterday.
Residents nearby reported hearing a plane in trouble and an explosion shortly after, Victoria Police spokesman Wayne Wilson said yesterday.
A search of the area was launched, involving police air and ground crews and volunteers from the Country Fire Authority and State Emergency Service.
The wreckage was found by a police helicopter crew about 9.45pm.
There were no other people on board the flight.
The fatal flight took off from Essendon Airport shortly before 8pm bound for Shepparton, 180km northeast of Melbourne.
The plane came down in heavy scrub near Drag Hill and Raynors roads, south of Clonbinane.
The weather bureau had issued a severe weather warning for western and central districts of Victoria, including the crash site, for severe winds averaging 75km/h with gusts to 110km/h, especially in elevated areas.
The area is near the top of the Great Dividing Range.
Monument Hill, a short distance west of the crash site, rises to 480m above sea level.
Police and the SES guarded the scene last night while awaiting the crash investigators.
The bodies of the two victims will most likely be recovered today
Steven Nott was owner of General Aviation Maintenance.

RIP Steve and condolences to all family and friends.

Di

:(

bunglesboy
1st Aug 2007, 04:55
A sad day for aviation in Australia. I had the pleasure of working for Steve and knowing his family. My heart felt condolences go out to his family and friends and the team at GAM's. My condoleces also to the family and friends of the pilot.

Diatryma
1st Aug 2007, 05:23
http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/01/1994067.htm?section=australia

"The Australian Transport Safety Bureau's Alex Hood says several parts of the plane were found some distance from the fuselage."

I know it's early days - but this is sounding a bit like the one in Tas a couple of years back.

Di :sad:

QFinsider
1st Aug 2007, 06:12
May God bless Steve and those he leaves behind.

My family connection goes back to the Exec days as a snowy haired kid. He has helped more than one through the GA maze.

MBA747
1st Aug 2007, 06:14
Interesting Web Site, Aero Commander History.

http://www.twincommander.com/historical_outline.htm

These aircraft have been flying for more than 50 years, it appears both aircraft i.e. the one in Tasmania and Victoria were lost in similar weather conditions, perhaps these aircraft are due for retirement and put to bed. When does CASA place restrictions on these ageing aircraft or do we have to loose a few more with more loss of life before something is done?

Why does CASA allow Aero Commanders and their ageing brother the PA31 to operate night freight down to Tasmania flying in atrocious weather conditions, with no radar, no de-icing equipment, auto-pilots rudimentary at best and a lot of the time at max operating weight?

My condolences to the families who have lost their loved ones.

pall
1st Aug 2007, 06:25
I was in Hobart a few years ago. The people from TASAIR were still very effected by the loss of their Aero Commander which they believed disintergrated in flight in very turbulent conditions

I heard that in their early life many Aero Commanders were overloaded unwittingly due to an error in their Weight and Balance Charts. Said error was later corrected but one wonders what damage was done to theses aircraft earlier in their lives.
I understand they are much loved by those who fly them. I think they look great too.

Really tragic to hear of the loss. I had that sick feeling in my gut last night when I heard that this AC was suspected to have crashed.

onelittlepilot
1st Aug 2007, 06:32
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/plane-speared-into-ground/2007/08/01/1185647931749.html

"Safety authorities believe the plane was almost vertical when it hit the ground, spreading wreckage over 700 metres from the point of impact."

I agree about the media pushing the wind factor. We fly in wind every day, it's the difference between being a pilot and being a truckie.

Windy Chester
1st Aug 2007, 06:34
Condolences to the families involved. Like trashie said he gave many people their first introduction into Aviation. Who would have thought it would have ended this way for him.

Myles Weston
1st Aug 2007, 06:36
I'll miss ya mate!
The Crownies are on me tonight!

Cheers,

Milo

G11
1st Aug 2007, 06:57
Steve, You are a great figure in the Australian Aviation Industry.You have employed countless Pilots, Engineers and Ops staff in the industry and always conducted yourself in a professional manner. You worked bloody hard in a stressful environment for many years and its a real pity that you didnt get time to slow down and enjoy life after all the work you have done. My thoughts are with your family and I thank you for all you have done for myself and many others. You will be dearly missed as the "Shrike Guru", yesterday GA lost one of its most well known icons.

RIP Notty.

The D

foxtrot india
1st Aug 2007, 07:36
Like many on here, I had the privilege of working for Steve and was given many opportunities to fulfill my dreams. His amazing knowledge, enthusiasm and professional manner will remain with me, rest in peace.

God bless

Dale Gray
1st Aug 2007, 08:20
I had the pleasure of working for Steve for three years, He is an icon and an institution in the Australian aviation industry. He will never be forgotten.

Condolences to Steve's family and to that of the pilot.

satos
1st Aug 2007, 08:27
I worked at the CAA flying unit in the 90's next door to Steve's business.
Great man.
Condolences to his family.
R.I.P Notty.

onelittlepilot
1st Aug 2007, 08:39
While many of you know Steve, who has been in the industry for years, not everyone will know JJ - she was a beautiful girl, she put her heart and soul into her work, her friends and her family.

My deepest sympathies go out to her partner, her parents, and her family and friends.

RIP.

Bendo
1st Aug 2007, 08:57
I first knew JJ from the old days of PPRuNe chat around 1998-99, when the chat room was alive with Go Girl, Reddo, Raven, Hugh Jarse, Turbulent Eddy, Jazzi, Kapton Kaos, Apache, Compressor Stall, Monte, HOTAS, kfras, Disco Stu, Thermal Bandit, Gaunty, Capt Claret, VNE of course and several others. We would get together when our charters or other work trips lined up.
I think she met her partner through that group but I could be wrong.
Lost touch for several years but she was my Sim buddy in the Rex interview back in March.
See ya JJ. :(

PEETEESIX
1st Aug 2007, 10:15
Steve gave me my first full time flying job, my first paid holidays, after many years of bum bosses. He was and will always be the best boss I ever had!!!
JJ you were the biggest character on the field, a little pocket rocket always full of energy and gusto.
I will miss both of you. I wish my deepest sympathy and condolences to both families.
Primal

westking101
1st Aug 2007, 10:35
Very sad news. Condolances to Steve's family they must be devastated. Also to JJ's family you have all my sympathy's. She could talk a leg off an old chair if she wanted to but she had finally worked herself into a position to step up into an airline job. Such a shame she will never get there.

Having worked with Gam's a few years back I soon realised Steve was a freak of an engineer. An intimidating man with an amazing amount of knowledge. His work ethic was second to none and that's why he was aboard that Shrike to shep and not one of the other 20 guys he could have sent. He was a great bloke to some but could be very unfair to others. After all at the end of the day he was a business man and there was money to make.

Like most of us know GA is tough game. Many times I pondered how CASA would treat the GAM organisation as "better the devil I know". They would rather have 3 dozens shrikes out there than a mix of clapped out chieftans, aztecs, and c310's. These aircraft fly over loaded, the pilots are overworked (fms), underpaid and those Shrikes by some miracle have the cleanist mr's in the counrty. It will be interesting to see how much spine CASA an show with this unfortunate accident. I suggest they start with pilot duty hours.

RIP JJ
RIP Steve

QNH1013.2
1st Aug 2007, 10:54
There are so many experts out there that know the intricate workings of every business that operates a crashed aircraft.

Mr. Westking, your lack of previous posts somewhat degrades your statement on duty hours and "clean" MR's. Hardly an appropriate forum for the airing of your concerns.

I wonder why none of the experts have noticed that the gear was down? Was the gear down in Tassie? No. Not all that similar eh?

kimwestt
1st Aug 2007, 11:19
Hey - maybe you ought to get the facts straight before you mouth off about something you obviously know little, if not nothing about.

IH8HOTAC
1st Aug 2007, 11:25
QNH ..

I noticed the gear down as well, the only reason I can think that one would put the gear down in flight is to try and slow down, perhaps the wx may have been involved after all.

Condolences to family and all.

BTW, you just never expect a guy as large as Steve not be there...it will take a whole lot of getting used to.

Wicked shimmy
1st Aug 2007, 11:28
Not sure if this is the time or place for this, but…. According to the ATSB report, the most likely cause of the Tasair accident is that the PIC had received insufficient training, on the part of the operator, on the various types of autopilots TASAIR had installed on their Aero Commanders. As a result it wasn’t disengaged correctly and resulted in a trim runaway type situation. The end result was a negative G overstress. It will be interesting to read the preliminary on this accident.

Condolences to all those affected by this accident.

Windy Chester
1st Aug 2007, 12:08
QNH 1013.2
You are half right. Apparently the Left gear was found extended.

http://www.baaa-acro.com/Photos-38/VH-LST.jpg

turbantime
1st Aug 2007, 12:15
Mate, you will be missed, as many have pointed out you provided many of us with a great start in this industry. I was always amazed at his knowledge especially towards his beloved shrikes and how hard he worked day after day building his company. Had the pleasure of meeting JJ once or twice, lovely girl.

My thoughts are with both families and the guys/gals working out there, especially in Melbourne.
westking101, This is not the place for you to put out your conspiracy theories. I will reply to your allegations only to defend old mate and the company he built. For the record, I don't work there anymore.

These aircraft fly over loaded

We never ever flew overloaded, load sheets provided for every sector and in most cases you bulk out before reaching structural limits.

the pilots are overworked (fms)

While I agree FMS is a crock, most (if not all) people worked 4-5 days a week with weekends and public holidays off.

underpaid

Everything as per the award.

those Shrikes by some miracle have the cleanist mr's in the counrty

Any problems were always looked at, especially out of Melbourne with the main engineering base down there.
So to MBA747 and westking, take your whingeing and take it elsewhere.

Someone posted a question about the wheels down. It was in my experience common to extend the gear and allow aircraft to slow down to the Va speed rather than slap back the throttles and suffer related engine problems.

Peter Fanelli
1st Aug 2007, 12:26
You new(sic) the man for 25 years, and yet you are only 17 years old?

archangel7
1st Aug 2007, 13:45
As a result it wasn’t disengaged correctly and resulted in a trim runaway type situation.

How hard could it be to disengage an autopilot? :rolleyes:

the wizard of auz
1st Aug 2007, 13:49
I first knew JJ from the old days of PPRuNe chat around 1998-99, when the chat room was alive with Go Girl, Reddo, Raven, Hugh Jarse, Turbulent Eddy, Jazzi, Kapton Kaos, Apache, Compressor Stall, Monte, HOTAS, kfras, Disco Stu, Thermal Bandit, Gaunty, Capt Claret, VNE of course and several others.
Strewth Bendo........ I feel much older now.
I met JJ the same way, as I was one of the others.
R.I.P. JJ :(

Sprite
1st Aug 2007, 14:14
Oh and BTW, that photo posted by Windy Chester was of a different aircraft. The photos posted clearly show BOTH undercarriage extended and the AC in trees. Why post a photo of a different aircraft?

Jet_A_Knight
1st Aug 2007, 15:03
I'm not making assumptions, but this article may be of interest - particularly appendix B

http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/papers/AeroCommander.pdf

kam16
1st Aug 2007, 21:13
I believe that was the TASAIR shrike crash.

kam

lokione
1st Aug 2007, 22:03
Many years ago I had some Aviation business dealings with Steve and flew his shrikes, getting to know he and his future wife. I stayed with them in Melbourne. Years later they came and spent time with me on Safari in Africa. My last memory of him is sitting around a campfire with the sounds of the African bush filling the night. He was clutching a beer and talking about his beloved Shrikes. God bless you Steve . RIP. My thoughts are with your family and that of JJ, whom I did not know but am sure would have liked and felt a kinship with.
To those speculating - why not wait for the report. This site should be a tribute to these wonderful aviators, that their family and friends can visit for affirmations of support and friendship.

VH-KAM
1st Aug 2007, 22:32
Thank you for the kind words everyone, it has been a long time since I have posted on Prune but I basically met JJ here on here 7 years ago and have been her partner ever since.

I have lots of family and friends around me and we would like to thank all who have called with their condolences, one thing that is for sure about JJ, she knew everybody!!!

The media are bugging us a lot at the moment and we will release a few nice words about JJ and a nice photo of JJ to them shortly.

Thanks again,
Tom

Diatryma
1st Aug 2007, 23:02
Sincere condolences Tom. Stay strong.

MBA747
2nd Aug 2007, 01:26
Jet A Knight good posting, hopefully a few of the GA brethren will take the time to read the article.

Perhaps CASA should consider restricting these and other aircraft of this vintage operating into areas of forecasted severe turbulence and icing.

QFinsider
2nd Aug 2007, 01:41
Please let us pause for a minute and consider that the investigators need time to ascertain the cause.

The process is exhausting.

Many of the GA aircraft we all have flown are flying longer than the initial designers suspected. It is this to which many have turned their attention in recent years.

Perhaps another thread can look at aging aircraft issues.
I am not knocking any post. There does seem to be attention focused around structural failure or some sort of overload. I merely want to add if there was an engineer in Australia who understood the issue it is Steve.

Please let us focus on the person who gave many a start, the young lady, the grieving families and friends. These types of shocks remind all of us how precious and light is our grasp on our lives.

God Bless you Steve and Janelle.

smiling monkey
2nd Aug 2007, 02:43
My condolences to the friends and families of the pilot and engineer. Although I don't know them personally, I've heard a lot about Steve. And if the pilot's the only female pilot at GAM, then I often hear her on the radio as Uniform Juliet *. RIP and God bless.

bythenumbers
2nd Aug 2007, 03:50
condolences to the familys and friends...

unfortunatly and im not saying in this case but alot of pilots do not understand aerodynamics enough to save their ass's. VA to alot of people is the number you stay below and she'l be right... but there are alot of other factors effecting VA. Weight, Flap setting and airframe age. Not to make this a lesson in aerody... im sure most of you know it very well:8 but VA is directly related to stall speed.

If you have ever flown around melboure in very windy northerly conditions and had the stall warning chirping away; trying to stop your head smashing the roof and you wondered if that was it. you get the picture

To finish. It is physicaly imposible to overstress an aircraft if it is flown at a correct speed using a correct technique. Gear is your friend and if you rip the gear doors off trying to slow down... bad luck (you should have been thinking ahead)... at least you'll be alive.

condolences once again.

trashie
2nd Aug 2007, 03:59
I agree with Lokione, can we please leave this thread as a tribute and memorial to Janelle and Steve. Postulation on the cause of the accident and aerodynamics do not belong in this thread.

RIP Janelle and Steve

Centaurus
2nd Aug 2007, 05:00
Gear is your friend and if you rip the gear doors off trying to slow down... bad luck (you should have been thinking ahead)... at least you'll be alive.

I'm no expert but that statement above is personal opinion only and not supported by hard cold data. Just be wary of having inexperienced pilots reading these pages and treating everything said as hard data attributable to the aircraft manufacturer - when it clearly is not.

Reverseflowkeroburna
2nd Aug 2007, 05:05
if there was an engineer in Australia who understood the issue it is Steve.

Agreed.

And to further highlight Notty's abilities and unmatched knowledge of his stable of workhorses, Bob Hoover once paid Steve a rather succinct compliment by saying that the GAM aircraft that he flew in his aero display at Avalon now flew even better than the day it emerged from the factory, where Bob was test Pilot.

It sums up Steve & the Aero Commander really.

R.I.P. Steve

hung start
2nd Aug 2007, 05:07
That should read 47 ,and thanks for the spell check .Anyway i here GAM is going to continue and i wish them all the best . Some big boots to fill but i am sure Michael and the boys are up to it .I didnt know JJ but condolences to her family .

megle2
2nd Aug 2007, 08:53
Janelle as described in these posts sounds like the GAM pilot that was based at Emerald Qld about a year or so a go. I am sure she was transferred to ML.

If so a tragic loss of a dedicated pilot and a pleasure to share the airspace with. Often had her as traffic at Emerald / Dysart / Mackay.

Tidbinbilla
2nd Aug 2007, 09:52
Okay people - after a number of requests via PM I am asking you all to leave the armchair analysis alone and keep this thread as it was intended - a tribute to two obviously very popular and respected personalities in GA.

TID

jimmmat
2nd Aug 2007, 11:07
The number of people that this man touched during his life, the number of pilots that are where they are now because of the company that he built from scratch. Aviation has lost a great character. love him or hate him he was always there for his staff when they needed it, and he will be sorely missed by all that have moved on to bigger and better things, and by us that are still there.
RIP Notty I miss you already mate
Jimmy M

Capt Baldman
2nd Aug 2007, 12:16
An absolute tragedy...
Steve was a great mate, spent many many hours "bending the elbow" with him years ago...he gave so many young Pilots the opportunity to gain experience, and further their careers, and from what i saw never criticised or begrudged anyone from moving on to bigger and better prospects....what a wonderful wonderful guy.
An amazingly " Good Bloke" who will be missed by lots and lots of people, not just Pilots.
Lets also not forget (JJ) the Pilot of the aircraft who was also lost so tragically in this accident…
Condolence’s to all family’s and friends alike….you will be sadly missed Steve
Paul D....
(and all from "Direct Air Charter and Flight Training, 1988)

Captain Starlight
2nd Aug 2007, 12:56
Jet A Knight and MBA747
check your pm's

GoGirl
3rd Aug 2007, 01:28
I first knew JJ from the old days of PPRuNe chat around 1998-99, when the chat room was alive with Go Girl, Reddo, Raven, Hugh Jarse, Turbulent Eddy, Jazzi, Kapton Kaos, Apache, Compressor Stall, Monte, HOTAS, kfras, Disco Stu, Thermal Bandit, Gaunty, Capt Claret, VNE of course and several others.

When I first heard that a 34 year old female pilot had tragically been killed in this accident, I must admit, I sucked in my breath and just held it - one of those rare moments in your life when you just 'know' or have a dradfull sense.
However, I wasn't prepared to come to the realisation that it was 'our' JJ

Bendo, like Wiz and many others I suspect will remember JJ from those times as someone always up for a chat (LOL!) and a cheery word to brighten an otherwise sh!tty day!

Kaydee, I am so very sorry for the loss you are feeling - I had no idea you and JJ were great mates, but it comes as little surprise in this 'small' world we live in...especially in this industry.

KAM
Please accept both Stu's, and my sincere condolences.
I just don't know what else to say at this time.

And to JJ's family - may your days ahead be comforted with your memories of a life lived fully and a wonderful girl in Janelle.

GG

swh
3rd Aug 2007, 01:53
Goodbye JJ, life was too short.

TinDriver
3rd Aug 2007, 02:50
From all those years ago, JJHopper was certainly a sure way to brighten up one's day on Pprune chat.

Such a tragedy...........

RIP JJ

robbo50
3rd Aug 2007, 03:15
Goodbye Steve
You were a great man. Thank you for starting me off and all your help. Won't be the same drinkin Crownies at Essendon without you.
RIP steve.

sweetpollypurebred
3rd Aug 2007, 23:50
Any word regarding funeral arrangements for both?

Both wonderful people, very sad day.

QFinsider
4th Aug 2007, 07:21
And furthermore, I did not work with Steve, I waited for a job with him for a long time. My association is personal.
I simply can't put an image out of my mind with respect to what happened. All of us flying know we are one step away from it (as human beings)and I please ask...Save your energy for their families and spare a thought for Steve and Janelle. The rest the ATSB will work out.

I think it was bushy who said it correctly, any aircraft can be overstressed....
I wish to further add it can be out blown by wind,out pushed by downdraft and out flown by the elements........

She'l Be Rite
4th Aug 2007, 09:14
As a current pilot with the company it annoys me to see "idiotic" statements attempting to tarnish our company operation. I know we are cleaning this up but let me say a few words..
The comments relating to clean MR's, Underpaid, Overworked and overloaded. It surprises me that a person with this lack of character even had the privelege to work for such an outstanding company.
Clean MR's: We have an approved paging service to report any problems experienced and most of the time these generally minor things are fixed before we even have time to sign an MR in most examples.. However never do we fly an aircraft not airworthy.. Any questions we had regarding any issue Steve would always call us with info on what is happening, why it is happening and would never expect us to fly anything not airworthy..
Underpaid / Overworked: I get a fairly healthy salary, always on time and to the award with allowances, can afford to pay off a mortgage and live a bit, and often work 4 day weeks.. Many other GA operators offer this?
Overloaded: Well.. How silly is this.. at the end of the day the PIC has the final word on load and there is never pressure to break rules or safety..
To Steve, you were the best operator I have worked for in GA, honest, hard working till the end, hard and fair man, extremely educated and yes.. a pleasure of a man to "bend the elbow with" at the end of the day..
JJ, with your bubbly high pitched hello's in the morning that we will all miss.. You were a great girl to work with, it is sad that you didn't reach that end goal of a major, but we all know you would have done and will remember you both every day to the end of our lives..
To both families, Tom, Melissa, Mick, Kathryn and all.. Our thoughts are with you and you should be proud to be related to two fantastic people..
RIP JJ
RIP Steve
SBR

westelevengenius
4th Aug 2007, 12:11
This tragedy has affected many deeply, Steve was the greatest boss I have EVER worked for. He offered an opportunity, he offered friendship and he was when all was said and done, a great bloke.

It was a pleasure to work for a company that is the best in GA: Award wages and conditions for pilots, uniforms supplied, 6 weeks holidays a year, allowances paid, he cared about his employees been happy.

What other company that does bank runs has a boss that says to you..."when the weather is crap and you're not happy, look over your shoulder and remind yourself what you're carrying. Divert and we can deal with it later"

Now that kind of attitude gets respect, especially in Australian GA.

When I was at Impulse and it was announced that it was game over in 4 weeks (before the big 'Q' took it over) who made the very first phone call to me just after it was on the news? Steve..."G'day mate, if it's all over there, let me know, you have a job any day you want!"

I got to know Steve both as a boss and a mate, he will be surely missed.
Talking to him about his Shrikes was like talking to a little boy with new toys, he loved them without question. I still remember the day he phoned to apologise because he had bought a Baron as a runabout! haha

He may have been intimidating to some, but they were the people that missed a unique opportunity to get to know a real character.

To Melissa and all the family my thoughts are with you.

RIP JJ

Thanks Steve for many fantastic times, laughs, the opportunity, and the just plain flatout inspiration that you were. RIP mate - Will have a coldie for you mate!

Plastic fantastic
4th Aug 2007, 15:19
Steve was a hardworking, decent guy. First met him 20 + years ago.
I remember taking up to CNS many a time to do maintenance on one of his beloved Commanders. Instead of sitting in the cabin enjoying, he would rather sit up front and talk to a mate.
A real loss.
RIP. Condolences to the families.

beaver_rotate
5th Aug 2007, 01:43
Steve.

I didn't know you that well; you may have intimidated the hell out of me but I respected you the minute I met ya. When I think of Steve Nott, I will look back to last Friday, you drinking crownies at midday and walking around the office taking the piss out of anyone and everyone in your path. I had never seen that side of you.

Rest in peace mate, you will be missed by many.

BR

Binoculars
5th Aug 2007, 14:16
Not a pilot, but I spoke to the bubbly Janelle many times and met her socially twice. So sad when a young life is taken away in a very unforgiving industry.

I couldn't be bothered going back to find the identity of the person who claimed all sorts of things about GAM's operations, but I'm going to back up westelevengenius in his claims about them, based on the experience of a close friend of mine who used to fly for him.

She couldn't believe she had found somebody who paid full award wages in GA, and described verbatim the conversation she had with Steve when she joined, a carbon copy of what westeleven said;

"****, I don't ever want to have to ring your father and tell him you died trying to deliver some bank cheques".

That statement alone makes him standout in the cutthroat world of GA, and though I didn't know him I thank him for allowing a lot of young people to achieve their dreams.

Condolences to both families.

duke of duchess
5th Aug 2007, 14:28
I never worked for GAM however i did have a lot of friends working for GAM, when they first moved into BK.

All my friends were amazed at how by the book they were and found the company an absolute joy to work for.

People who are trying to damage the good name that GAM have gained over the time they have been running should be ashamed at them selves.

I never meet steve, and cant remeber meeting JJ however have had friends that new them and spoke very highly of them, so to their friends and loved ones I am sorry for your loss.

To GAM, Good luck in your future I just wish steve had the chance to see and work on the new arrival we brought over a day late :{

good luck to the boys and girls that are left.

john_tullamarine
5th Aug 2007, 22:01
Don't believe I ever met JJ but I have known the man for a lot longer than I care to recall. In addition, I have had periodic interaction with the folk at GAM at EN over the years and know several quite well as friends and colleagues.

Not once can I recall ANY intentional inappropriate technical comment either from the man, himself, or his GAM folk.

Not a case of suggesting that they were perfect ... no-one is ... but I never saw ANY instance of anything which would have caused me to view them other than as a pretty professional mob ...

I, for one, would prefer to see an absence of unverified antipathetic comment in this thread ..

nig&nog
5th Aug 2007, 23:29
To Steve, thanks for giving me my break in Aviation, it was great to have worked for you. (some pictures of my time in Bris.)
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/thirty7_2007/sc0000cbbe.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa205/thirty7_2007/sc0000ea56.jpg

BVI Boy
6th Aug 2007, 04:40
I flew for GAM/Commander Air out of Cairns for almost 3yrs and can honestly say that if I ever had a concern or problem with an aircraft either in Oz or PNG Steve would always be only a phone call away any time of the day or night, now thats dedication!

Just after I left my good friend T Waterford passed away in UJB of which I still find hard to believe, and now Steve in YJB.

I have never to this day seen such works of art in Steves engine rebuilds with that hammered blue paint finish and chrome inlet pipes, incredible! Not one person can say that either Steve or his team did not put 100% effort into keeping these aircraft in tip top condition.

After a full A/C rebuild these planes were better than new inside and out, the MR's were always looked at daily by engineering and all defects rectified promptly.

How many companies let you use the company vehicle to go and buy your lunch or do personal errands, not many and yet Steve generously provided this.

Thanks to GAM I am now an Airbus Captain flying overseas for one of the worlds largest airlines, and its all thanks to Steve for giving me a break.

This terrible news has traversed the globe and its a sad day in aviation.
My sincere condolences to Steves family.You will always be remembered.

sford
7th Aug 2007, 02:05
Thanks Steve for giving me the opportunity to work for you for over six years. Great company, great people, great flying. I hope your legacy will continue on.

I didnt know Janelle that well but her energy and great attitude wont be forgotten.

Binoculars
7th Aug 2007, 11:20
I can only hope that for the families and loved ones of the deceased the outpouring of sympathy, congratulation and commiseration is enough to overcome the nastiness of westking101's post. He seems clearly to be in a huge minority and perhaps should look at himself rather than cast blame on others.

QFinsider
9th Aug 2007, 02:41
We are all stardust...

Every single person will pass from this world..It is but a question of time. The nastiness will pass the negativity will pass...

What is left is memories of good people called home before their time....

Rest in Peace both of you

to your respective families, may you take some comfort from us trying share your burden.

Whilst many of us did not know one of you (in my case) or both of you, know that we all feel for those left behind...

Bula
9th Aug 2007, 12:25
Does anyone know if this is the Janelle Johnston who did some flight instruction with the Australian Air Force Cadets in the late 90's?

Yup. One and the same person.

Tail Wheel

Bendo
9th Aug 2007, 12:54
Bula

I would think so - she was based in AF for several years around that time I think, then Sydney or Melbourne.

triadic
9th Aug 2007, 21:45
Funeral - Steve Nott

Melbourne (Toorak) 1400hrs Sat 11 Aug.

See paper for details. I understand a fly over is planned and the Shrikes will all be lined up at EN. There is talk of a service in Cairns the following Saturday, but no details and not confirmed as yet.

RIP Steve

Bula
9th Aug 2007, 22:17
:( bu**** ... RIP Janelle. You were a lovely lady back then and I'm sure you will be sorely missed by all around you now.

Critical Reynolds No
11th Aug 2007, 07:33
Well done to the Essendon Tower controller today handling the procession of Shirikes, 680's you name it. What a great site it was seeing them depart, low level all the way to the end of the runway. Beautiful. Such a fitting tribute.

Resolution Advisory
11th Aug 2007, 08:28
I was out in the eastern suburbs this afternoon and pulled over to watch the precession. We watched 8-10 go past. I thought it was an excellent tribute. Polair seemed to join in for a minute as it flew over Warrigul Rd. Well done to all the pilots.

plane fixa
12th Aug 2007, 05:58
just thought i would let you know gear wasnt actually down

777WakeTurbz
12th Aug 2007, 06:39
?? Photos show the main gear down... Dont they??

Chief galah
12th Aug 2007, 07:08
Sorry about the quality. I hope this works.
Great job done by the GAM crew. I have some more if requested.
RIP Steve.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z72668SQz1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0bO0Ui0PDo

PennyBenjamin
13th Aug 2007, 03:58
I have found a lump in my throat every sincere post i have read thus far. Having known both these great people I appreciate the sincerity of what has been written. I was unabloe to gt back to Aus for the funerals but i am sure you put on a fitting tribe guys well done, and to those who sank a few crownies afterward thats an equally fitting tribute.

The last time i saw steve he was leaning against his new baby, YJB, Crownie in hand. Have a look through mate, it's great! He said. I replied 'don't you have enough shrikes steve' - 'no such thing' he replied.

So many young pilots and engineers have be moulded by the uncompromising natue of steve. The furthest thing from lazy i could describe, and equally far from sloppy. He has passed this on to so many, and GAM will continue through Mick to be the best engineering shop in the country.
Steve never suffered fools, and it is evident that there are a few in this forum, and such a post is the biggest endictment of themself one could muster.

Janelle was a sweet and loving woman who didn't discriminate who she passed that affection on to. She was loved by all that met for her ability to make you happy, even at the ungodly bank running hours. Thanks Janelle for the day you taxied behind me retrieving the bank bags as they fell out my open cargo door. Saved me big time!!

Two great soles lost to the world - But never forgotten!!

Waghi Warrior
13th Aug 2007, 04:23
:( RIP Steve and JJ.

Steve,
Thanks for giving me a break into the industry,you have done a lot for the GA in Australia. You were a hard man to work for,but you always tried to be fair to the people that put the effort in, RIP.

Diatryma
14th Aug 2007, 00:44
just thought i would let you know gear wasnt actually down

?? Photos show the main gear down... Dont they??

Those looking at the (horrible) photo's of VH-YJB and speculating about whether the gear was up or down should read the Tasair ATSB report. It clearly states the gear was up even though the photo previously posted of VH-LST shows one leg extended. Please read the ATSB report;

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2004/AAIR/aair200400610.aspx

Particularly page 10:

"Within the main wreckage, the left main landing gear was found in the extended position. The mechanism for locking the landing gear in the retracted position had fractured and showed overload damage consistent with the forces produced during the aircraft breakup and subsequent ground impact. The right main landing gear locking mechanism showed similar damage. The type of damage sustained by the locking mechanisms would not have occurred if the landing gear had been unlocked or extended at the time of breakup."

So we really don't know about YJB and should leave the detailed investigation to the ATSB - as has been said a few times already.

By the way I thought I'd seen another thread opened for discussion about the cause of this accident - but I can't find it now. So apologies for posting here if inappropriate.

Di

Diatryma
17th Oct 2007, 02:00
Preliminary ATSB Report released:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2007/AAIR/pdf/AO2007029_prelim.pdf

There was evidence to show that the flaps and landing gear (in particular broken up-lock hooks) were retracted at impact.

Di

Jabawocky
17th Oct 2007, 02:06
I read that the other day, and the thought crossed my mind about how people speak in jest about peeling the wings off your plane. It must be one hell of a scary ride for the remaining few seconds of life.

J

ABX
17th Oct 2007, 03:03
That ATSB preliminary report is a very sobering document, as I read it I felt very sorry for Steve and Janelle and for those they left behind.

Must have been one hell of a down draft.

Diatryma
20th Nov 2009, 04:35
http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/2009/release/2009_13.aspx (http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/2009/release/2009_13.aspx)

Media Release

2009/13: Pilots reminded to be aware when operating in areas of known or forecast turbulence

09 November 2009

The investigation of an in-flight breakup that occurred near Clombinane, Victoria on 31 July 2007 has found that it most likely resulted from an encounter with localised and intense turbulence, from an elevator control input, or from a combination of both. The accident resulted in the death of the pilot and passenger on board the Rockwell International Aero Commander 500-S aircraft on a business flight from Essendon Airport to Shepparton.
As a result of its investigation, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau reissued the publication Mountain Wave Turbulence (available for download at www.atsb.gov.au (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/2005/mountain_wave_turbulence.aspx)), distributed the investigation report to all Australian operators of the Aero Commander aircraft, and issued a safety advisory notice to aircraft operators and pilots. That notice encouraged aircraft operators to review their procedures to ensure an appropriate awareness amongst operating personnel of the implications for aircraft performance of the combination of aircraft weights and speed, and of the ambient conditions; in particular, when flying in, or near areas of forecast severe turbulence.
The investigation found that some pilots operating the aircraft type were generally unaware of the applicability of the aircraft's manoeuvring speed during flight through turbulence, despite the inclusion of relevant advisory information in the operator's documentation. There was also a concern that pilots generally may not have been exercising as much caution in forecast severe turbulence conditions as they would for thunderstorms, even though the intensity of the turbulence could be similar.
At the time of the in-flight breakup, special weather reports for severe turbulence and severe mountain waves were current for the area. Wind speeds on the ground were reported to be 50 kts and calculations using the recorded radar data and forecast wind showed that the aircraft had been in cruise flight at 7,000 ft above mean sea level at speeds probably greater than its published manoeuvring speed, prior to it disappearing from radar. The wreckage and its distribution pattern were consistent with an in-flight breakup during cruise flight.
There was no evidence of any pre-existing defect, corrosion or fatigue found in the aircraft structure. An examination of the wreckage and fracture surfaces showed that the aircraft structure failed under symmetrical negative overstress.
A full report is available from the ATSB website Aviation Occurrence AO-2007-029

Report seems to have been removed from ATSB website for some reason????

Di :*

TWT
20th Nov 2009, 08:51
Google ATSB AO-2007-029

Click on 'Cached'.

It's there.

snakey
26th Mar 2010, 08:50
Remember when I heard an Aero-Commander had gone down nth of melb. Was working in Cairns. Just knew. Worked for GAM for a bit as an AME and will not forget the quality of work turned out. Steve wasn't particularly easy to work for, but only because of his commitment to quality. Didn't tolerate fools, and said what he thought. Currently studying CPL(H), and what I learnt at GAM hasn't been wasted. His 680 still rates as the nicest and most thorough refurb I've ever worked on. Sad..... Doesn't matter how long you've been in the biz, stay humble, and remember, there is ALWAYS something to learn after (or before) EVERY flight. Right side up guys...! truth hurts. Still hurts me.

steelcraft
26th Mar 2010, 09:02
I wonder what he would be thinking now.

Wally Mk2
26th Mar 2010, 22:38
'Snakey' I worked with Steve when he was an apprentice back in the late 70's at EAM @EN. He was one keen kid, yes kid he was as skinny as a rake back then! As an apprentice he was made to get the morning breaky etc & sweep the floors, little did we know then that he would go on to own/operate the biggest fleet of AC's in the sth hemi & knew every nut & bolt in that airframe type!:)
Seems such a long time ago now. If there is an afterlife then Steve would be up there giving someone the sh1ts as he was as you said "wasn't particularly easy to work for"....that is/was an understatement at times!:ok:

Wmk2 ..............briefly tripping down memory lane:-)

Dnav31
27th Mar 2010, 14:15
Wally Mk2,

Know the feeling.....

DN