PDA

View Full Version : GF To Shrink Even More???

Chuck Y
31st Jul 2007, 08:45
Strong rumours going around that MNL & KUL flights to be cut soon, with FRA & CDG to follow.:confused:
Looks like they really do plan on turning us into a very "regional" carrier.
On a brighter note we will soon be offering a donkey cart service between Muharraq, Manama, Isa Town & Riffa. Sorry for you guys staying in Budaiya but there is just no room in the budget for that "sector" according to the masses of advisors & consultants in the company.
Good luck guys.

airfort
31st Jul 2007, 10:19
MNL has a very high Seat Factor ( not sure if it make money ) but If this rumour becomes true then do not worry about budget, there will a lot of :mad: donkeys to use for the other sectors....let them just get the carts ready.

International
31st Jul 2007, 11:48
All routes have been examined to death.
Paris, Frankfurt and Manila are staying.
No idea about KL.

Panama Jack
31st Jul 2007, 14:18
My information is somewhat dated (it was stuff that I was told just a few days before Dosé's sudden departure), but one management official told me that there are considerations of actually increasing frequency to Frankfurt, or adding another German destination.

So unless whoever is now pulling strings at Gulf Air is taking a whole new avenue, I don't believe these rumors.

Mr. R
31st Jul 2007, 18:22
like PJ I would take this rumor with a grain of salt. The loads CDG and FRA routes are high due to the connections they offer to North America by their codeshare partner AA (CDG to a lesser extent)

MNL naturally has a very high seat factor load in the summer and KUL as well (if that was the case they would have canned it a long time ago)

true DUB should have not been cancelled due to the route's infancy but am crossing my fingers and hoping GF gets out of it's 15-year mess and HOPEFULLY opens up unique markets

one thing that puzzles me is that bahrain signed a open-skies agreement with singapore and the route was dropped

oh well too many dumb jacks running the show I guess:ugh:

left_to_first_class
31st Jul 2007, 20:14
None of the European routes make money.
CDG is a sick route. The flights may be full but with a lot of cheapo rubbish.
FRA is going well and hence why the Dose management were thinking about going double daily. Good mix of North American traffic and high yielding gulf traffic and stuff that goes in the belly.
LON - GF will be happy to see the back of MCT. Loads terrible outside peak and route making really bad losses - enough to ask the omani government for a subsidy ! To BAH dong much better thanks to the strong financial links and overspill from BA.
KUL - only full during the two months the arabs leave the Gulf. Rest of the year its empty (beds for all on board).
MNL - all labour traffic but this is one of the most corrupt route ever. Basically you have an employer who sponsers Filopinos to work in the GCC. They pay over the odds for a seat. Between the agent and GF (no names mentioned), the lowest prices are secured for these seats, and the difference (sometimes big $$$) is shared amongst those in the deal.

India - GF is screwed once 9W and other indian carriers start operations. Who wants to sit on a dirty old aircraft when you can fly on a spanking new one !?!
KTM - suffers from the MNL syndrome as described as above.

Basically GF needs to shrink and be a local ferry service !

Spirit
31st Jul 2007, 21:12
In the light of all this, I'd like to know, why we closed CGK...

Too expensive, even though we were close to MZFW on many occasions?

Could it be due to the fact, that we didn't have more than the pseudo-ETOPS-75?

Imagine going via TVM and KAT (ofcourse requiring ETOPS-120): it would cut like 30 minutes of flighttime off.

Forth and back, that would be 1 hour per day, which equals approx. 5 tonnes of fuel.

Everyday flights, it would be 5 * 365.25 (to account for February 29th) = 1826.25 tonnes of fuel per year.

A rough fuelburn average per roundtrip was like 80 tonnes, with about 90 tonnes loaded.

This means, that we were actually wasting 1826.25/80 = 22.8 roundtrips worth of jetfuel per year on something, which could have been avoided.

No wonder, they are losing money in GF...but then again: I'm just a stupid pilot, what do I know about flying???:}

left_to_first_class
1st Aug 2007, 12:25
Spirit - Jakarata was in the "MNL" category. Yes the loads were full but the money GF (well finance and not individuals) got was not a lot. Agree with your fuel idea, especially as it will save on the costs.

Ps: Did you know that the GSA in JKT is very very rich off the back of GF ?

soggyblonde
1st Aug 2007, 12:39
Mnl will not be droped as it is full of laboures (SLAVES). Go ahead and drop Paris... SCREW PARIS... IT'S FULL OF FRENCH EURO TRASH.
Please , Please increase the Frankfurts.

That's my 2 cents....Sorry 200 frills.:E

left_to_first_class
1st Aug 2007, 12:44
MNL will never be dropped due to the following:
- where will they get their maids to work for them in modern day slavery
- whom will they screw, rape, beat-up, etc etc
- will look after their kids as if their own
- what will happen to exhibition road

vomit comet
2nd Aug 2007, 10:02
:Eleft to first,dont u think gf is modern slavery? and no i dont beat or rape my housemaid! and everybody has a choice if they wanna come and work in the gulf..
and soggy tits try closing your legs! w*n*ker

Chuck Y
2nd Aug 2007, 11:58
left_to_class, Yet another 1 of your tasteless & racist posts. I assume that in your previous post the "they" that you are refering to is in fact Arabs. Well I will not stoop down to your level but I will just say that if "we" really such a trashy disgusting race of people how can you stand living amongst us??? Time for you to leave my friend before you get anymore twisted & jaded. Enjoy the ride home:)

left_to_first_class
2nd Aug 2007, 13:00
Vomit - I'm one of those useless expat managers still left, so not sure if I am the master or slave, but if you fly, then yes maybe Gf is slavery.

Chuck Y - I do a lot of voluntary work for the migrants workers in Bahrain and if you come in contact with the stuff that goes with these workers, it makes your blood boil. Many a time have I been called up to help with an emergency abuse case involving what I have said. I am sorry you get the impression that I am tarnishing the whole of the GCC/arab community with the same brush and can't stand it here. In fact its a minority which shames the majority, but the majority won't do anything about it.

Oh I like it here otherwise I would have winged it ages ago.

Chuck Y
2nd Aug 2007, 15:53
left_to_first_class,
Unfortunately the majority in any society ,regardless of race or religion, will turn a blind eye for any anit-social or abusive activities carried out by their fellow countrymen. That's life everywhere.

Icarus
2nd Aug 2007, 17:20
No that is NOT life everywhere! Just life predominantly exhibited in this particular region, your statement shows just how apathetic and complancent and unconcerned you are with your fellow creeds behaviour - another typical trait of the region. Disgusting!

Chuck Y
3rd Aug 2007, 09:17
Mr Wings of Fire, I say again if you are not happy in this "disgusting" region please do leave. I just wish that after all these years in this company that you would give up being two-faced & say exactly what you feel about us directly to our faces instead of hurling insults at an entire race of people from behind your keyboard. Maybe i can join you for a coffee at Starbucks?:}

Icarus
3rd Aug 2007, 12:20
And that's just how easy it is! Make the statement "If you don't like it leave" rather than come out of denial and do something positive about the situation. What is the end game? Get everyone to leave so there is no more critisism so it can continue in 'safety'?

Enough said - back to the topic of thread 'GF To Shrink Even More'

soggyblonde
5th Aug 2007, 06:48
Have to agree with you there Icarus. It's just a standard statment over here...."If you don't like it, LEAVE !!!!".
Let's just think about that for a minute..... If we all just left, Chuck Y would have to do everthing for himself or herself.
And I agree with your other comment... Let's get back to Gulf Air's SHRINKAGE issue.:p:E

ironbutt57
5th Aug 2007, 06:58
Well I'm probably guilty of uttering the "standard statement"...(looking for it on my matrix:}) but while it could be a reasonable atitude..(why hang around and make yourself miserable) it also brings to light an underlying attitude failure present at most carriers here that is coming back to haunt them as we speak...:confused:

Ray Darr
5th Aug 2007, 08:43
Oh jeeze... I thought this was a thread about THAT "condition":

http://www.mikeandjen.cc/images/shrinkage.jpg

...which was why I was ignoring it!! :p

Best 'o' luck to all.

ironbutt57
5th Aug 2007, 09:06
You've been in the arctic too long Ray time to come back and thaw out!!

Ray Darr
5th Aug 2007, 09:34
Ah, IB, somehow you mistook me for someone with those "issues"...

I thought the THREAD was about "that" problem and wondered why this wasn't on "Jet Blast"! As for me, I'm soaking up the sun, sand and slurps in non-shrinkage-land. :p

...Oh - the only Arctic ice around here is clinking around in the sundowners! Yum! :ok:

Cheers!
R.D.

behramjee
12th Aug 2007, 23:58
I have read that GF have applied for daily slots at Munich Intl Airport for 2008. Any truth to this?

chef andrew
13th Aug 2007, 16:34
nah, mate.
that'll be Eilat-Las Vegas, twice a week
;););)

stratocumulus
14th Aug 2007, 04:44
well said my son....

Daidalos.....:ok: watching you from the eastern part of the pond

Ibn Kalb
14th Aug 2007, 08:09
I have just spent a few days in the UK. I love the culture, galleries, Thames, art, bars and cafes. But what I cannot stand is the feeling of aggression and violence that is on the streets. In Bahrain, the only risk on the streets is the traffic. It is easy to forget the benefits of living here. Yes, there are flaws in the system but that is where we can make a difference (see Left to Firt Class's post above about migrant workers).

And lastly, remember we are guests here, it is not our country and we can leave any time we want

wapses
14th Aug 2007, 10:16
The main problem with living in the Gulf is boredom, boredom, boredom ... and then there's the climate ...

ironbutt57
14th Aug 2007, 10:59
Life is what you make it, lots of things to keep one busy here..:ok:

Speedbrake Lever
14th Aug 2007, 11:22
Hey Man

yeah right now its a tad boring because of the temp out there

but when end of Sept comes and i am swimming in the sea again and out and about then yes ....... there's the climate

The only thing you miss out on here is live attendance at various events

but it's all covered if you want to see it

Would you go anyway if you were ...... there ???

Leave if you don't like it go home pay your tax and enjoy YOUR Climate

S.L.

Albergineman
15th Aug 2007, 11:19
Well, will GF shrink or not?

fractional
18th Aug 2007, 20:32
Well, will GF shrink or not?It'll definitely downsize. A 10/10 will bemost likely the fleet size. It's a wise decision.
Retreat, re-evaluate, retructure and launch a commercial focussed service having safety as the number one goal. You can make money flying safely.

Albergineman
18th Aug 2007, 22:08
This is a good number and will make the management burden easer to pick up. I believe it will fix some others problems like crew shortage, no overtime and allow a better package for all of us just to mention some.
Despite of all political interest and lack of skill management among the government, board and Gf managers I believe this new management are performing their best to make it better again. Just to face the mafia in all level is for itself a big obstacle to overcome.
Let''s make the falcon flight high again.
:ok:

airfort
19th Aug 2007, 06:58
[quote]This is a good number and will make the management burden easer to pick up.[/QUOTE

It will be much easer for the managment if the airline murge with the like of Ajwaa...Rumer is that this is happening and fast !

Che Guevara
19th Aug 2007, 07:59
Ajwaa.....now there's a great name for an airline; almost as good as Etihad :rolleyes:
Another household name in the wider world no doubt.

Chao

fractional
19th Aug 2007, 10:58
I thinks Gulf Airs days are numbered........A PPRuNer wrote this in another thread in this Forum. I don't think GF will be history. Ajwaa isn't the alternative other than being another emerging LCC in the Gulf if it goes ahead.
I would admit the creation of a Bahrain Air(ways) or Air Bahrain if the Bahraini government so decided to get rid of certain headaches. I won't speculate on the headaches breakdown. It's clear what any professional board & management would do to achieve immediate results.
They could also sell the GF trade mark to private investors, make some money, pay some of the debts and pay early retirement packages.

GF-A330
19th Aug 2007, 22:25
Bahrain-Dar Es Salaam back on the cards, schedule is being finalised

stefan1138
21st Aug 2007, 10:37
As there has been many rumors concerning the A321s will they come or are they cancelled? If they come, when will they arrive? Thanks Stefan :)

GF-A330
21st Aug 2007, 18:41
First A321 is joining the fleet mid October. ex Spirit Airlines plane's

Panama Jack
21st Aug 2007, 19:10
Sounds great to hear GF-A330. Can't wait to see one of these stretched 'buses with a Falcon on the tail.

stefan1138, if you are a GF employee, I've found that management is quite approachable for clarifying rumors. Have approached them a few times in the last few months when certain rumors have been digging under my skin and they have been happy to clarify things for me.

stefan1138
21st Aug 2007, 19:51
Thanks GF-330 for your info. I hope to see pictures of the A-321s soon.

Panama Jack, I worked for GF Cargo (in Europe) for several years but moved on last year. So, lost touch with GF a bit, but I am still very much interested in the Airline. Stefan :)

ironbutt57
21st Aug 2007, 20:49
I'd rather see a screen door on a submarine than A-321.(both about as useful to GF)..we need big bellies (like me) to carry our in-belly freight (you'd be amazed at the revenue generated by that) 767 is perfect for that..seats to pay for the meals and some of the fuel...belly cargo (high revenue especially DG's) to make the money