PDA

View Full Version : Doubts about JAA license..

Riso
31st Jul 2007, 07:15
Hi guys ... i would like to receive some suggestions about doing JAA licenses... where in the USA is a good place to do it ? what if i take FAA licenses first and then convert it to JAA ? would that be so much expensive ? what`s the cheaper way to get JAA licenses ? i mean i live in Brazil and i have got italian citzenship..so what would you guys do ? any help will be very important for me because i really don`t know what to do right now.. :ugh:
So what do i do ? go to europe or USA ? which flight school ? :bored:

Happy landings for everybody :ok:

Speed bird 002
31st Jul 2007, 08:24
What would you prefer? Spending around 2 years from FAA - JAA in training and then finding it difficult getting a job or training in a JAA course from an integrated provider and increasing your likely hood of being referred into an airline.
If you cant afford intergrated then wait a few years because you dont want to be starting a different course which wont get you a step into an airline door.
If you do decide to go the "cheap" way through FAA then JAA conversion, then make sure you get yourself a FI rating and start building hours. Otherwise, you may not see your dream as a pilot. Sounds mean and evil after all that effort you will put in but thats the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately.
My advice, ditch FAA - JAA training and go JAA through an integrated provider
Hope thats helps :ok:

portsharbourflyer
31st Jul 2007, 08:42
I would also like to point out there a significant number of integrated graduates that do not get recommended and still find themselves having to fund a type rating or go instructing. Infact I would assume the majority do not get recommended. There are also several "modular" training providers that have links to airlines (Aeros, Cabair and Atlantic have recommended modular students to Flybe for example).
Remember an integrated course is a good "£20,000" more expensive than the modular route, therefore going modular and having the extra fund for a type rating is just as likely to lead to employment.
Also doing FAA and then converting to JAA may not work out any cheaper, than doing a straight continous JAA modular course, but it is quite useful to have both FAA and JAA ratings; there are still a significant number of aircraft on the N register in the UK/Europe, especially in the corporate world. So if you have the FAA CPL/IR as well as the JAA ratings you may be able to get work flying an N registered aircraft based in the UK/Europe.

Riso, one route to consider is going to the US doing your FAA CPL, IR and CFI, try and get an J1 visa and work in the US as an instructor for a year. Try to get the FAA multi engine instructor rating in that time, then you may build significant multi engine time. While instructing in the US you could enroll onto a JAA distance learning course for the ATPL theory and get the exams passed; when the visa expires you would then be ready to do a JAA conversion for the CPL and IR.

GrkPilot
31st Jul 2007, 08:51
Let me guess .. Speedbird do you attend OXFORD??
Your 22 and you are giving advice? Give me a break .. let me guess your mommy and daddy are paying for your training?
HHAHAH..
what a joke that you have to be integrated to get a job ..
FAA to JAA is not bad at all .. FAA Flight Training will make you a pilot unlike the JAA which wants to make you into a button pusher.

Speed bird 002
31st Jul 2007, 09:06
GRKPILOT, I dont wanna sound rude, because im not a rude person :). Im not at any integrated school. I will be starting an integrated course in the near future possibly in March next yr. The payment of the course will be through my own expense...how did I save so much money?? I got myself onto the property ladder and my equity is increasing as we speak. So not everyone gets their mummy and daddys paying for an integrated course. My parents are disabled and theirs no way they could afford to help me through, thats why i got off my arse and did somthing about it rather than winge and cry on pprune.

I hope i'v clarified that I am self made through various jobs :ok:

GrkPilot
31st Jul 2007, 09:24
Good for you, but just because you are integrated doesn't mean you will get a job, that is a MYTH that schools make up to take your money. What is the difference between a Modular student and let's say an Oxford INTEGRATED student? That the Integrated will be given a chance with British Airways, and they take about 10% of the integrated students anyway, so guess what it means..... nothing. Good luck and don't throw your money away for no reason, have a good one.

Speed bird 002
31st Jul 2007, 10:11
GRK,

Integrated students stand a far better chance than modular students. I dont wanna start this debate again because it always causes war :p. I personally know alot of people who are now employed through recommendation and there are also a few who havnt been recommended. But thats because they didnt get the grade required to get recommended.

If you cant afford integrated then dont slate it off! it is the best chance you'll have in getting a job but not the cheapest route. But then again, its not the license we are after it is the job. If you want just a license then you can pick one up for less than £25k in USA.

Modular students do get employment but that is through alot of stress and their own efforts, same with integrated students but those that do not make the recommendation grade.

I hope iv made it clear

GrkPilot
31st Jul 2007, 10:26
Not having even 1 hour in a plane it seems you have it down. The bottom line is that you have plenty of guys paying a fraction of what you want to pay and still get a job. Grades to get recommended?

Oh god .. just because you get a 95 on JARS doesn't make you a good pilot, if you think that is true your in for a huge wake up call. At my airline ive seen people come in with 95s on JARs and they have trouble flying a plane.

Oh and by the way .. if someone goes and gets his FAA license builds hours instructing then converts. They will have a much better chance of getting a job then you for the fact that they know how to fly, Integrated guys on the other hand get hired with 250 hours and they have no clue how to properly STALL AN AIRCRAFT, hence the term Bus Drivers ... at least the CFI will know he is a REAL PILOT and not a guy in uniform who pushes buttons all day.
You choose ... me I wanted to become a pilot and was a CFI for 3 years before even touching the JAA system and I was chosen over integrated "pilots".

I wish you luck .. but instead of throwing your money away for a REFERALL :ugh:
Save it for a rainy day.... :ok:

Riso
31st Jul 2007, 12:40
You guys made me more confused lol :confused:...nuy anyway ..you guys know where can i have a first class medical exam on the USA ? I was thinking about Naples Air Centre they run the JAA course in the USA and a small part of it on UK. and it`s cheaper