PDA

View Full Version : What to Expect? - Class1 Gatwick

Mach086
31st Jul 2007, 06:50
Hi all, got my initial in the next couple of weeks.

Was just wondering what can i expect? order of the day? time between tests? whats the eyesight/ hearing test like?

I remeber someone had actually posted quite a comprehensive list of what happens at the test but I can't seem to find it anymore on this forum.

Just really like to know what to expect,

Thanks

David Horn
31st Jul 2007, 09:20
Well, I had mine last week so this is roughly what happened:

Height / weight / urine sample. As you'd expect.

ECG: You lie on a bed while lots of leads are attached to you - legs, arms, and a cluster on your chest. You try not to panic about what the machine is saying for a minute or two while it does its stuff. That's all - the pads leave a conductive gel behind so don't forget to wipe it off before putting your t-shirt back on.

Lung function tests: You blow into a mouthpiece for as long as you can to measure lung capacity. You then do a similar test where you try to exhale as much as possible in the first second. Not especially fun, I think I turned blue by the end of it.

Blood test: your finger is pricked and two drops of blood taken and tested for cholesterol and haemoglobin. The tests are done in front of you on small machines.

Audiogram: You sit in a booth with headphones on and are asked to signal when you hear a tone. Easy as cake, and the sounds are fairly loud so there's no worry about not hearing one.

Vision test: Adrian Chorley does an exhaustive eyesight test. Everything shown on the MED162 form is gone through in detail, and the glaucoma test is evvvviiiillll.

Final test with doctor: A doctor discusses the test results and your medical history with you (but the technicians will tell you if there's anything wrong), and listens to your heart and lung sounds with a stethoscope. If everything sounds OK he signs the certificate and hands it to you.

-----------------------

That's it, really. I've just posted a letter back to them to ask for my glasses restriction to be removed, since I went for them yesterday and tested at 6/5 in both eyes at the local opticians. Must have been an off-day last week.

Rainboe
31st Jul 2007, 09:27
Look it's dead easy! Nothing painful or difficult. you just lie there and think about your flowers or football or whatever is yourt thing, and let them get on with it. They will be friendly and welcoming and chatty. All they want to do is tick boxes. Nothing to be uptight about at all. They are not looking to fail you, and just want to be assured you are up to the required medical standard- they want you to get through. So treat it as a chance to natter with the Doctor and catch up on aviation/medical gossip. I've been doing this for 40 years and actually enjoy the experience. You build up a long term relationship with your particular favourite Doctor. I can't say enough relax and take it easy, and you will find over time it's actually a not unenjoyable experience.

Now sim checks..........

pilotmike
31st Jul 2007, 13:00
David Horn wrote:Audiogram: .....the sounds are fairly loud so there's no worry about not hearing one.

Priceless! I admire your enthusiasm and encouragement, but how do you think the poor b@$t@rd that missed all of them felt???!!!!! :). He's about to report back:

"Audiogram: Bl**dy awful! Why do they have to make it so quiet? I wish they'd turn the friggin' volume up a bit so you can actually hear the damn tones!!"

PM

David Horn
31st Jul 2007, 14:10
pm: true, but I spent 3 years at uni ruining my hearing in various clubs and gigs, and was quite concerned that I might not hear a thing. So it was a relief when I passed the audiogram. :)

rick0
31st Jul 2007, 21:40
Hi all,

I have also got my initial C1 coming up in a few weeks and I am crapping myself =/

Firstly, optician told me that I had problems with reading 6/6 in each eye on one of their snellen charts. Went back to test it again with my current glasses... fine - but it wasn't 5 or 6 meters away (more like 3) - they obviously calibrate the size of the letters - but does distance make a difference?

Secondly, the "puff of air" test - never had this (sounds painful) - I am 17 but parents have had it - what does it test for and is it for 'older persons'?

Cheers

Rainboe
31st Jul 2007, 21:56
The puff of air test is done at an opticians at regular intervals, and you have to present the results to the medic. I think it tests for high internal eye pressure, and the puff of air deforms the eye slightly and they measure somehow the restoration in shape (I think). I hate my eyes being fiddled with and I really dislike it, but it must be done and it's harmless. Look stop crapping yourself about this. It really is no big deal. If your eyesight is not going to make it, better to find out now rather than waste a lot of money. Let them worry about getting you through. You don't even have to do your best! Just do...... nothing.

David Horn
1st Aug 2007, 13:54
Hey Rick - if it looked like 3 meters away, are you sure you weren't looking at a reflection in a mirror?

norton2005
1st Aug 2007, 15:47
To pass you must be able to read 6/6. Now, my opticion tests down to 6/5 standard. Is this usual? When I go to get a prescription to take to gatwick should I be asking my opticion to only be testing me to the 6/6 line?

rick0
3rd Aug 2007, 10:23
Hey Rick - if it looked like 3 meters away, are you sure you weren't looking at a reflection in a mirror?

Mmm I don't think so - far as I can remember it was some electronic thing - although the room was definatley not big enough for a full 5/6 meter stretch.

But wouldnt they calibrate the size of the letters to the distance?