PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Airways - World's Best Low-Cost Airline Award 2007

airbusthreetwenty
31st Jul 2007, 04:35
"Low-cost or low-fare airlines : what's in a name? Clearly they mean different things to different people" says Edward Plaisted (CEO of survey organisation, Skytrax). "From the passenger perspective, it's low fares that count - from an airline view, that can only be delivered if their operational set up is truly efficient and low-cost".

"However you look at it, Jetstar Airways, as the 2007 winner of the Worlds Best Low-Cost Airline award is clearly doing the right things to keep their customers happy. Our congratulations go to Jetstar in achieving this accolade, amongst what has to be said is a continuously expanding market" added Plaisted.

"The 2007 Award winners are clearly hitting the right note with their customers, and in addition to the achievement of Jetstar Airways in securing the Best in World title, we also congratulate Air Berlin (2nd) and easyJet (3rd) for their very strong performance" said Plaisted.

Air Berlin were also named Best Low-Cost Airline in Europe, one of the most competitive low-cost markets around the world. Commenting on the success of this win, Air Berlin CEO, Mr Joachim Hunold said "We will make every effort, not only to keep our quality of service, but to improve it even further. This award from Skytrax is a strong incentive for us."

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards_2007/Lowcost.htm

B A Lert
20th Aug 2007, 00:42
The mind boggles at what the others are like if Jetstar is 'the best'! :E:E:E

RedTBar
20th Aug 2007, 01:12
I'd like to know how many Jetstar pax have travelled on the other airlines let alone LCC's to be able to say they were better.

Ref + 10
20th Aug 2007, 02:49
Did Qantas sponsor this award?

lowerlobe
20th Aug 2007, 05:45
There is no such thing as cash for comment ....is there?

I'll finish this post so that I can listen to the radio.....

PattyStacker
21st Aug 2007, 11:24
Can u believe that lot won it...... Thier like rooly rubbish and if the peeple that fly them pay $2 bucks for a flight then them peeple that work there must be worf $2 bucks

Hasn't the Jetstar bashing and the snide comments grown a little tiresome for you.

4 years ago the same crew, were flying Qantaslink flights and 1 day the Boss said "Here's your new Uniform, and its now $3 for a coffee"

With such informed opinions I can only assume that your private jet was "in the shop" and you were forced to fly Jetstar.

Can't wait for Tiger to start. Give the Cranky airline nerds a new target for a few months.

Get a hobby kids :* Or spend your VR on a nice new Viscount.

RedTBar
21st Aug 2007, 22:37
Pattystacker, Can you tell me how many J* pax have travelled on the European LCC's to quantify that J* are better?
Similarly,can you tell me how many J* pax have travelled on full service airlines to say they are better than QF or ANZ?

PattyStacker
21st Aug 2007, 23:03
RED T BAR have you travelled JQ? Have you travelled on a European LCC? How many? I thought so.

Do you really believe that people that travel JQ are first time fliers that came down from the hills to go to the big smoke, then you are sorely mistaken.

Yes there are a lot of first timers who scrap together the $2 bucks to travel to Hervey Bay to see Aunt Betty for the first time in 50 years.

But there are a lot of individuals who commute for work. Travel for work. Politicians, Tv starlets, Captains of industry, Royalty and regular travellers who enjoy a weekend escape.

If you really believe that the lowest of the low fly Jetstar because they were not good enough to fly the big kangaroo then its time to have a reality check.

Trust me the lowest of the low do fly Jetstar. I meet them regulary.
BUT many pax are worldy and have travelled to far off places like the Belgian Congo so I am guessing they have an idea.

Time to come out of the clouds and lick your wounded pride and let it go.

JQ won it... BIG DEAL.. have you ever been surveyed about who would be the preferred Prime Minister. Neither have I.

I am a JQ employee and I have travelled the world many times. I have worked for a Full Service Airline. I have worked for Charter Airline.

Its all about QF lining Skytrax Pockets with a couple of lazy $$$$.

aircraft
21st Aug 2007, 23:55
RedTBar said:
I'd like to know how many Jetstar pax have travelled on the other airlines let alone LCC's to be able to say they were better.
If you thought for a few seconds about how this survey would have to work, you would realise that it does not matter whether the passengers have travelled on the other airlines or not.

I think you will find that the passengers would have been asked to rank, on a scale from 1 to 10, various things (e.g. inflight service, entertainment, etc). So even if a passenger had just made his first ever airline flight, his rankings would have been as relevant as any other passenger.

Congratulations Jetstar Airways!

aircraft
22nd Aug 2007, 00:00
RedTBar also said:
Similarly,can you tell me how many J* pax have travelled on full service airlines to say they are better than QF or ANZ?
If you had bothered to read the opening post properly, you would have read that the award was for "World's Best Low-Cost Airline" - surely that tells you that QF and ANZ weren't under consideration.

RedTBar
22nd Aug 2007, 00:02
PattyStacker,
RED T BAR have you travelled JQ? ...YES
Have you travelled on a European LCC? ...YES
How many?..ENOUGH TO KNOW
I thought so...I DOUBT IT
"Do you really believe that people that travel JQ are first time fliers that came down from the hills to go to the big smoke"....YES and everytime I've flown I see them.Usually those who would have caught the train or bus until now.

"If you really believe that the lowest of the low fly Jetstar because they were not good enough to fly the big kangaroo then its time to have a reality check"...The reality is it's because you are cheaper and/or QF no longer fly to that destination.

"I am a JQ employee and I have travelled the world many times"..Welcome to the club except for the working for J* part.

"Its all about QF lining Skytrax Pockets with a couple of lazy $$$$"...You said it ..not me

RedTBar
22nd Aug 2007, 00:08
If you had bothered to read the opening post properly, you would have read that the award was for "World's Best Low-Cost Airline" - surely that tells you that QF and ANZ weren't under consideration.

aircraft,As usual you put your foot (lack of knowledge) in it .The award also gives J* the best cabin crew in the Australian region.They rank J* above QF and Air New Zealand,which are both full service airlines.
aircraft ,I think it best if you do some research before you post again.You made the same mistake when you asked who Jetstar Asia was.So much for your idea of what is going on.
Next time I think you should be the one thinking

aircraft
22nd Aug 2007, 00:32
RedTBar said:
The award also gives J* the best cabin crew in the Australian region.They rank J* above QF and Air New Zealand,which are both full service airlines.
Ahem. It is not necessary to do any research to know you must have your wires crossed. An award titled "world's best low-cost airline" that considers full service airlines such as QF and ANZ?

You are referring to some other award! Please provide the link to the relevant Skytrax page.

RedTBar
22nd Aug 2007, 00:40
Ahem. It is not necessary to do any research to know you must have your wires crossed. An award titled "world's best low-cost airline" that considers full service airlines such as QF and ANZ?

You are referring to some other award! Please provide the link to the relevant Skytrax page.

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards_2007/CabinStaff.htm#region

Now how about an apology aircraft?

aircraft
22nd Aug 2007, 01:31
RedTBar,

The award you are referring to (and linked to) is "World's best cabin staff". That is not the same award as "World's best low-cost airline"!

Are you pulling my leg or do you really find it this difficult to comprehend such simple things?

I hope you don't find NOTAMs and flight related technical manuals that difficult.

RedTBar
22nd Aug 2007, 01:39
aircraft,If you can't even admit when you are wrong then no wonder people have a shot at you.

Jetstar recieved 2 awards one of which was the best cabin crew award.This was exactly as I said in this quote.
The award also gives J* the best cabin crew in the Australian region.They rank J* above QF and Air New Zealand,which are both full service airlines.
This is why I posted this question Similarly,can you tell me how many J* pax have travelled on full service airlines to say they are better than QF or ANZ? and that is why you jumped in.
May I suggest you read and think before you make a post and have the honesty to apologise.

PattyStacker
22nd Aug 2007, 02:24
RED T BAR,,, where are those straws that you are cluttching at...

For someone that has such high standards and is mortified that JQ could win an award I am surprised that you lowered yourself to fly JQ... I can only imagine the Challenger was in the shop.

For all those who complain about JQ, or DJ or AA or whoever... Change airlines or stay at home.....

The last time I looked I think I missed the notice that rated QF the be all end all of Airline Awards.

There is no food chain in the AUST airline industry... Just because you started at QF when I was in nappies doesn't mean that I am a lesser provider of Customer service and less deserving of and award

aircraft
22nd Aug 2007, 03:07
This is getting to be quite amusing - I hope others are enjoying this as much as I.

RedTBar, you said:
The award also gives J* the best cabin crew in the Australian region.Maybe you don't understand what those words, in the context of this thread, mean.

In the context of this thread, those words mean that the award was for both "best low-cost airline" and "best cabin staff".

But we all know that the award (that is the subject of this thread) was for only one of those things. The initial post was about that one award and the subsequent posts were also about that one award.

Of course an award titled "Best cabin staff" will consider both low-cost and full service airlines. But again, I say, why must passengers have travelled on both types in order to give rankings on one?

The difficulty you seem to be having with this survey reminds me of the recent thread about the survey that ranked "Qantas worst international airline". Poster after poster just could not grasp the fact that the survey was not saying the airline was bad.

For that survey, and this, the passengers are simply asked to "score" those aspects of the airline service that are the subject of the survey. If the IFE was thought to be excellent, for example, the passenger might have rated it a 10. If poor, then maybe 1-2.

The survey is not asking passengers to compare aspects between different airlines - that would be too hard a survey to pull off and even if someone did, would yield results that could not be considered credible.

blueloo
22nd Aug 2007, 03:35
Statistics can be manipulated anyway one sees fit.

Has anyone even seen a survey by this skytrax mob?

For statistical significance you only need something like 30 replies dont you? That means that they only have to hand out the surveys to the pax (or crew on about 10 flights) on a few flights and they can come up with whatever crap they want to.

Bula
22nd Aug 2007, 04:28
Sorry state of affairs we have here.....

jeez guys

roamingwolf
22nd Aug 2007, 06:11
aircraft.go back to work mate you have no idea of what your going on about.you even asked tbar the question 'An award titled "world's best low-cost airline" that considers full service airlines such as QF and ANZ?' because you reckoned he got it wrong.when he posted the link you go on like you knew it all the time.mate your not married to twiggs are you?

pattystacker.geez what service are you talking about.you look after the doors and then do a 10 minute overpriced snack on wheels and stand up the front or down the back the rest of the time.tbar is right how can that win an award.

Mr.Buzzy
22nd Aug 2007, 06:16
What a joke!
This is just like a kids swimming carnival, where every kid goes home with a ribbon; no matter how crap they are!

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzz z

blow.n.gasket
22nd Aug 2007, 11:03
I thought it was a gold star.:bored:

PattyStacker
22nd Aug 2007, 11:35
Roamingwolf
I didn't realise that throwing a free packet of bread sticks, glass of Generic white wine after 4pm and a look of disdain from a heritage listed flight attendant warranted a Gold Star for service excellence either.

aircraft
22nd Aug 2007, 14:35
roamingwolf said:
... when he posted the link you go on like you knew it all the time.But the link was to a completely different award. Did that little detail elude you?

Blue-Footed Boobie
22nd Aug 2007, 17:49
Come on guys, don't spoil AJ's free hard on!!

Best LOCO in the world, bigger bonus.. all great stuff would'nt you say?

Blue Foot

rodney rude
22nd Aug 2007, 22:15
I read it just like Aircraft did.

Patty never mentioned anything about a cabin crew award until well after TBar was into the fight. Patty then introduced the award retrospectively and then tried to pin Tbar's comments to this retrospective, previously unmentioned award. Judgement is for the plaintiff (T Bar), case closed.
Judge Rodney will return in a moment.

And Patty - you are confusing me. Are you actually defending or attacking JQ??

Judge Rodney

PattyStacker
22nd Aug 2007, 23:38
Rodney,

Like most QF group employees I have my days.... Depends if the mood stabilisers have kicked in or not

rodney rude
27th Aug 2007, 01:21
Patty,

Yep been there done that one.

B A Lert
27th Aug 2007, 06:48
The judges obviously didn't speak to any disenchanted punters as this extract from Crikey last week shows:

30. Passengers' bumpy ride with Jetstar
Luke McKenna writes:

Qantas’ chief executive Geoff Dixon last week delivered news of a $1.03 billion pre-tax profit for the airline in 2006 – up 53% on the previous year.

Much of this, he says, is thanks to the launch of Qantas’ low-cost sister airline Jetstar. But while Dixon and Qantas investors celebrate, it would seem that on the ground (quite literally) Jetstar travelers are suffering. Criticisms of the budget carrier are mounting.

This week Crikey received a letter from an angry traveler outlining his “horror experience” with Jetstar:

This month I flew with my children from Melbourne to Sydney to catch a Jetstar flight to Hawaii. We arrived in Sydney to be told that our onward flight had been cancelled and would now not leave until 8am the next morning.

While problems can occur with any aircraft (although it appears to happen regularly with Jetstar) it was the attitude of the Jetstar ground staff that was more upsetting. They allocated one representative to deal individually with a plane-load of people. This of course took hours. But it gets worse.

The re-scheduled flight did not get us to Honolulu until after midnight the next day -- too late for any onward flights to Maui, our final destination. Standing with my children at the Qantas/Jetstar counter at 1am in Honolulu, the staff denied any responsibility and would offer no assistance or help to any of the passengers. We were told "Jetstar is an A to B airline and we have fulfilled our part of the contract". This was contrary to the assurance given to passengers by the Jetstar representative in Sydney, who told everyone that given we would miss our connections, we would be looked after by ground staff on our arrival in Honolulu.

So along with many other passengers, we were forced to find a nearby motel, and over-night for the second time, costing us a second day of our holiday...

We eventually arrived in Maui almost two days late. An 11-hour journey that ended up taking over 50 hours. Even on the flight back (which left 3 hours late), Jetstar crew told us they had run out of meals, so we were forced to share one meal between four of us.

I had heard these type of stories before, but still chose to book with them, but you don’t have to make the same mistake. In my view Jetstar is no star. Surely Geoff Dixon and his Qantas board can’t believe that this appalling third-world standard will not impact on the Qantas brand.

This might seem like an extreme example, but online there is no shortage of similar gripes.

Last month smh.com.au posted a piece that explored problems with Jetstar’s online booking system, inviting reader responses. It prompted six pages of comments and complaints – ranging from regular flight delays and cancellations, deceiving ‘lowest price’ guarantees, plane maintenance issues and “rock bottom” service in-flight and on the ground – that extended far beyond the booking process.

Lowlights include:

“A lady flying with her 15 year old daughter who is on crutches was offered assistance at Sydney but when returning at Avalon the staff member had to be asked and then said no one could assist getting this girl on the plane. Later when she was outside having a smoko with a colleague, she was overheard saying that she couldn't be bothered helping the kid on crutches, even though this child had obvious problems with getting up stairs.” – Sue.

“I was due to catch the 1.45pm flight from Sydney to Melbourne yesterday. I left home to get to the airport on time at 9am, and I didn't actually get to Melbourne until 8pm! Apparently a thunderbolt struck the plane and it took them 4 hours to replace… The appalling thing was that no-one actually told us what was going on - we were locked in this waiting room with no notification of the delays we were to face!” – Al.

And the most unusual tale came from a traveler who says he wrote a bad review of Jetstar on his personal blog. A customer service rep named ‘Julz’ apparently replied:

“omg you serious!!!! You really have nothing else 2 do with your pathic time but write rubbish!!!…Smile at rude agroant piece of un gratefully sh-t like yourself??? get out of here yo deserve nothing but being banned on every airline.....and alot of the time staff at any point dont deserve 2 be treated like sh-t of passenagers which i would expect coming from yourself… people like yourself make others sick.”

The traveler concludes: “This sums up my Jetstar experience perfectly… A shining example of the caliber of 'service' Jetstar employs.”

Travel blogs like RealTravel and The Boot carry similar critical reviews, and the ABC, Fairfax papers and news.com.au (amongst many other outlets) have recently reported further Jetstar difficulties.

roamingwolf
27th Aug 2007, 06:55
yeah but the tv ads for jokestar reckon they're the top of the pile and we all know that everything on tv is true.
and willieb reckons that the surveys are the ducks nuts so they must be true.

TMAK
27th Aug 2007, 09:59
Indeed a rather confusing conversation.....but...JQ did indeed win two awards at the recent Skytrax awards.

1/ Worlds Best Low Cost Carrier

2/ Best Cabin Crew in Australia & NZ (all airlines).

So for the second one it was judged that JQ cabin service was compared with QF, NZ & DJ etc and won the award. I guess we should keep in mind that Cabin Service might mean the individual crew dealings & not the services on offer. That usually falls under different categories, catering/meals etc & IFE.

Bula
27th Aug 2007, 22:14
you cant judge an entire airline and its staff on the incompetence of a few.