PDA

View Full Version : DALLAS FOX 4 news heli down no fatalities

Creaser
31st Jul 2007, 01:03
fox screening fooage of Dalllas Fox 4 crash.
206 resting on lhs on what looks like rough ground.
cabin largly intact.
creaser

vaqueroaero
31st Jul 2007, 02:09
It's an L model, not an AS 350.

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 02:15
Another one????

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 06:11
everyone ok????? if so, do you have a link to the footage?

Vertical T/O
31st Jul 2007, 10:30
http://www.ksat.com/news/13779557/detail.html

BRASSEMUP
31st Jul 2007, 10:52
Great American names Chip Waggoner & Curtis Crump :rolleyes:. Glad they walked away.:ok:

Gunship
31st Jul 2007, 11:31
The Last minute of flight (http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dallasnews/hp/index.html?nvid=162861)

Foggy Bottom
31st Jul 2007, 12:27
Watched a different ENG hovering over the downed aircraft to take pictures. Glad he didnt lose the fire because that pilot was way inside the HV curve! I see a lot of the ENG guys in the Dallas area that seem to forget that they are supposed to be pilots first, then news reporters. I have never done so, but have been tempted to take a few pics of them hovering over an accident scene with total disregard for the safety of the people below them.

206Fan
31st Jul 2007, 13:25
Nasty stuff, going from that lovely 206 interior sound to flipn alarms, last thing they wanted to hear!

andTompkins
31st Jul 2007, 13:28
As far as ENG aircraft go in the DFW area,

FOX 4 had a 206B3
CBS 11 has a 407
NBC 5 has a 206L
ABC 8 has an AS350

There are also several traffic aircraft scooting around ... 206Bs in zebra stripes and one wayward R44. I think the Robbie is attached to one of the local Spanish language channels.

As far as the condition of the pax and crew, the news reporter in the back was reported to still be in the hospital last night (minor injuries, I've heard ... a cut or two and some bruising). The reporter in the front seat as well as the pilot were a little shaken, but doing fine. FOX 4 was interviewing Chip Waggoner only minutes afterwards via phone.

Here's a map of the area near where they landed ... http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=pf6t5g6xgyhc&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=4198912&encType=1 (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=pf6t5g6xgyhc&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=4198912&encType=1)

helimutt
31st Jul 2007, 14:52
from the clip it looks like he was carrying out a rearward auto! Weird.

mickjoebill
31st Jul 2007, 16:16
from the clip it looks like he was carrying out a rearward auto! Weird.
Perhaps a more likely explaination is as follows...
You see the image moving R to L start to slow then the horizon tips and the direction of travel appears to reverse L to R.
This is an accurate record of the relationship of heli to the part of the landscape the camera was pointing at.
What is happening is that the camera has stayed pointing at same place (the dam) whilst the heli made a 180 degree ish fairly tight turn (hence the system losing lock on the horizon)
At the end of the turn the heli is travelling in the opposite direction and the camera is still looking at the dam but now the heli and camera are travelling in the opposite direction.
So the shot started with camera looking "nose left" but and finished looking "tail right" or put another way the heli orbited around the camera and reversed direction.
Glad they got out unharmed.
Mickjoebill.

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 23:30
Hey Mickjoebill

I read your description, watched it, then read it again, but I still don't get what you mean?!

I couldn't get the mindset out that the helo started moving backwards and i can't picture what you're saying? What way did he turn 180?

Is the camera UNDERNEATH the helo? If so, then i totally get what you mean, :ok:

(and that may sound like a silly question but we don't have this stuff over here, lol!!)

mickjoebill
1st Aug 2007, 06:27
Kiwi chick,

yes the camera is underneath the aircraft. Fox News 4 had a low LHS side mount.

Last time I counted you Kwis had one R44 news and at least three heligimbals but not regularly used for news.

Mickjoebill

TwinHueyMan
1st Aug 2007, 15:06
"I see a lot of the ENG guys in the Dallas area that seem to forget that they are supposed to be pilots first, then news reporters. I have never done so, but have been tempted to take a few pics of them hovering over an accident scene with total disregard for the safety of the people below them."

I wouldn't be so quick to stereotype all of the guys out there, Foggy. I flew with Mr. Crump as well as the Zebra stripe crew and KVIL crew (all three of which do video and radio, iirc) and found them to be exceptionally professional about their flying and safety. Obviously that had no bearing on the situation Mr. Crump ran into, and looking at his options for landing and the survival and injury rate onboard, he seemed to have handled this situation as best as he could.

-Mike

kiwi chick
1st Aug 2007, 23:43
Last time I counted you Kwis had one R44 news and at least three heligimbals

They don't let me near expensive equipment like that... :eek:

Thanks for that, now I totally understand what you mean, haha! :ok:

Foggy Bottom
2nd Aug 2007, 13:07
I dont believe that I was sterotyping anyone. I said that I have seen a lot of the ENG guys in Dallas acting in what I consider to be reckless and endangering. I didn't say all....Next time you see them hovering over a scene at 10 knots and 60-70 feet, ask where will they end up if the stove gives out? Most likely right in the middle of the traffic underneath them! I watch more then I used to when I found myself directly under a hovering newscopter that was covering an accident. I estimate his height at 50' and 0 airspeed. He remained over me for about 3 minutes while I prayed that he bought good fuel!

We all want to get the job done! But we also need to remember where we are and what will happen when something goes wrong!