PDA

View Full Version : TTMRA Fees help

flash2sqn
30th Jul 2007, 10:04
Hi all, is there anyone out there who has converted their NZCPL to a CASA one who can explain the fees?
The TTMRA info package from CASA basically says $130 per item ie: CPL, Medical, Instrument rating and each individual aircraft type rating, all $130 each.
However I found this in the CASA fees and charges schedule:
5.25A Issue of a commercial pilot licence with the ratings and endorsements that were included in the application, on the basis of an overseas qualification – processing and consideration of application $160
Which applies?

scrambler
30th Jul 2007, 10:10
http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/contacts.htm

Probably email your question to [email protected]
I dont think they have a fee to answer questions (not yet anyway, but dont suggest it)

flash2sqn
30th Jul 2007, 10:28
Thanks scambler, sounds like a good plan!

kiwiblue
30th Jul 2007, 10:48
mate it was over 5 years ago I converted mine, so a little hazy on the details... from memory, paid the fee ($160 sounds familiar) walked out with the Oz document a couple of hours later. Legally flew on the NZ Med cert until expiry then had to do an issue Oz CPL Med.

flash2sqn
31st Jul 2007, 00:26
Thanks sqwark and kiwiblue, I like idea of using my Kiwi class 1 till it expires. I have time in 421's so I think I would only pay for that rating to be recognised and the singles if I can get those free. Have to find a job first though!!! :)

TZZ
31st Jul 2007, 04:43
hi i am planning to convert them too aircraft ratings i have is p38, 28 and multi p68c so is p28 and 38 free and is it that i have to pay only for p68

cheers

kiwiblue
31st Jul 2007, 04:52
get another multi-rating bro, fer damn sure I wouldn't be paying to have a P-68 on my licence for all time! :}

Cloud Cutter
1st Aug 2007, 04:19
Guys, I've just been through the process of converting my NZ licence to an Aussie one, and it was a bitch of a process (it has recently become a lot tougher with the new security clearance requirements). I'll give a breif outline of what I've learned, hopefully it will be of some benifit (appologies if any of my figures are wrong).

- The basic fees you will pay are: $130 to convert your CPL/ATPL, $130 to convert you instrument rating (if required), and $130 for any type rating (endorsement) other than a 'single engine under 5700 kg class endorsement' (this is free). There is also a $145 fee for an AVID or ASIC (security check/ID card).

- The ID requirements for the AVID/ASIC application are very difficult to satisfy if you are a NZ citizen, but there are options. Make sure you understand the primary and secondary ID requirements, and ask CLARC if you're unsure, as they won't process you're application unless all the i's are dotted and t's crossed (btw you should use black pen for such dotting and crossing).

- Things move extremely slowly at CASA, so you may want to get in touch with them and keep the pressure on.

Hope that helps.

knox
1st Aug 2007, 05:20
"Cloud Cutter - The ID requirements for the AVID/ASIC application are very difficult to satisfy if you are a NZ citizen, but there are options."

And what are these options.

Knox

Cloud Cutter
2nd Aug 2007, 02:10
You would be best to check that out with CASA if you are unable to use the options given on the form. That way you have something to hold them to if they come back and say it's not acceptable.

What I did was to get a character reference from an Australian citizen I'd known for more than 1 year. Another option is to get a letter from your bank stating how long they've known you - the letter must be signed by you as well as the bank representative. Alternatively you could get an Australian drivers licence, but that seems a bit OTT.

turbolager
2nd Aug 2007, 04:10
Wow, things must have clamped down on the ID, I did mine last year and produced I think a passport and NZ drivers licence and my airport security card and that was enough.

One thing for kiwis to note is that CASA dont like issuing type ratings for aircraft that dont appear on your licence. So if you are flying with the rating in the type ratings page at the back of your logbook (which is perfectly legal in NZ) you will need to get that copied and also the flight test entry from the day the rating was issued. When questioned on this by CASA I explained that it was legal in NZ and I saw no reason to pay multiple licence reissue fees so I never bothered putting ratings on my licence.

In hindsight, I would have paid the $50 or whatever NZCAA want to reissue the licence. The alternative that CASA requires is a lot more expensive, I spent over a hundred dollars at the Australian embassy, where they charge $30 per page for certified copy xeroxing. (type rating pages + original flight test logbook entries required) Be as nice as possible to the girl at the embassy and you should get a few free pages.

As for the ASIC, mine took 5 months, and talking to Ozzy mates that was reasonably fast, some of them had been waiting much longer. As the ozzies should all hold this thing now it should be much faster.

I found CASA friendly and flexible to deal with, far more so than NZCAA, but extremely slow. I sent only evidence of my last IFR renewal flight for example, and didnt pay to have a copy of the type rating flight test for that aircraft. I rang them and explained that without a valid type rating on the aircraft, the airline flight examiner would not have allowed me to fly or issue an IFR renewal - they accepted this logic, and a couple of other shortcuts as well.

Ring them up and discuss your case!

flash2sqn
2nd Aug 2007, 09:15
Thanks for all the info guys.

JSF1
2nd Aug 2007, 14:04
After walking into CASA with all my documents current etc, will CASA issue me with a temporary license in the meantime?
Cheers

Cloud Cutter
3rd Aug 2007, 02:23
My understanding is that once you have registered your TTMRA application with CASA, you can operate in Aus under the conditions of your NZ licence. Again, best to ring or email them and check.

As someone mentioned, all though they are rediculously slow, they are a pretty helpful bunch in general.

russianthru_thesky
3rd Aug 2007, 15:12
Thats correct, once you have applied for the CASA licence u may operate on NZcpl until the casa one arrives, however u need special permission to use your NZ medical if you dont have an aussie one. aussie ones are easy to get tho, most of the aviation docs in NZ can do CASA medicals if need be.
As for endorsements, they charge $130 each for tail dragger and any other such special types eg floats and skis too if you have those to be put on. Make sure u get a rule book too, cos in oz they have some screwy rules as they havent fully converted to ICAO like NZ

eagle206
4th Aug 2007, 00:51
Hi All

Sorry to chage track slightly just wanting to know is it possible to convert the licence and ratings in stages.

For Example:

Can I convert my CPL and Instructor rating now and then convert my Instrument at a later date. It is just that I need to convert it soon but don't have enough time to get my instrument rating re current.

Cheers

Eagle 206