PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways A310 crash

Effendi
25th Oct 2000, 15:49
Anyone know who's running the inquiry into the crash of the Kenya Airways A310 and how the inquiry is going?

Effendi
28th Oct 2000, 00:01
C'mon boys. Whats on with this. Has the aircraft been recovered?

tired
29th Oct 2000, 00:32
Do you mean the 310 that crashed into the sea off Abidjan??? The same Abidjan that's in the middle of a coup??!

How do YOU think the investigation's going?

MileHi
2nd Nov 2000, 02:53
You pays your money, you takes your chances.

To all those flying cheap African airlines, if you were going for some major life depending surgery, would you find the cheapest doctor?

smallfry
2nd Nov 2000, 16:11
MileHi

CHEAP AFRICAN AIRLINES? Where do you get off with remarks like that? If you looked a bit further than your own ego, you might get a shock. Not all African Airlines are the same. Kenya Airways, Ethiopian Airways Egypt Air might not be the world leaders, but they are not that bad. Did a bit deeper before you show your ignorance.

MileHi
2nd Nov 2000, 22:17
Smallmind, uh I mean fry,

One question, have looked at the bottom of the Atlantic lately? I do believe that you might find the wrecks of a B767 and an A310!

Anyone who has worked in Africa and has half a braincell knows how things are done (or not) in this part of the world.

Did you say IGNORANCE - you must be looking in a mirror mate!

CargoRat2
3rd Nov 2000, 13:32
I flew one of Kenya Airways A310s NBO-SPL last year as a pax. Good service, comfortable seats, no complaints.

------------------
rgds Rat

Boss Raptor
3rd Nov 2000, 18:08
With Cote D'Ivoire in a transitional state of affairs and no doubt changes in the civil service - and the Kenya civil service in disarray I think this will stay at the bottom of sea.

As long as the insurance pays out...and its not a new aircraft type so there is little manufacturer interest...then this will slowly fade...

Bushmeat
4th Nov 2000, 09:49
CHEAP AFRICAN AIRLINES!
HALF A BRAINCELL!!

I fly here in Africa and I do not think that me or any of my colleagues here know of any cheap african airline with whom you pays your money and you take your chances.
And MileHi could you please enlighten us on how things are done here in Africa it might just give us half a braincell.
These comments you have made here are very serious sir and we take offence.
The two airliners you have mentioned here at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean were manned by wonderful crews, Pilots who would never in
any way depart with an aircraft that would put their passengers at risk,this I know personaly and also I do not think that any of the passengers onboared those aircraft ever bought their tickets with the belief that they were taking chances on the flights.
How in Gods name do you come up with such ideas mister please tell me.
You are the same pilots out there who advise your junior colleagues to seek out work here in Africa everyday on this same forum, go to Africa that is the place, bring some £$ to bribe for a license, dont worry about your license they take anything, thousands of hours in short time, crap pay but no problems return to wherever with them hours and then you get a proper job with BA, KL, BMLD, EAJT,
and then easy life £££$$$$$$$.
We have read this here all the time.
I have many friends today who started flying professionaly here in Africa and subsequently
went back home to continue their profession with National airlines after gaining enough hours and experience hauling oil workers all over these parts during the days of the oil boom here and all they have are fond memories about time here in Africa and I do not think would aprove of this kind of talk my friend.
Please refrain from these kind of comments it will not help anybody at all.

ETHIOPIAN 767 DISASTER.
Ethiopian Boeing 767, Hijacked and subsequently, crashed, out of fuel with crew in a struggle with hijackers trying to avoid a direct collision with a hotel.

KENYAN AIRWAYS A310 DISASTER
No report published as of this publication.

May they rest in peace.

MileHi
5th Nov 2000, 10:54
Bushmeat,

Sorry. It was not my intention to insult you or any of the Professional African 'drivers'. Least of all the gentlemen who lost their lives in the aforesaid accidents. I believe as professonal Pilots most of us are similar no matter what our background might be, and we try our best to get from A - B and back to A in the safest possible manner.

However, I have worked in Africa and I have seen shortcomings (not airline specific) in airport security (lack of boundary fences, so anyone has access to the apron area), ATC services(no explanation required), aircraft loading (gross oveloads, yet trim sheets are OK. People on toilets for takeoff), maintanance (no explanation required) and how licenses are bought (ALTP scam in SA recently). Worst of all, I have seen how pilots who do not make the grade are "pushed" through the ranks because of political standing and affiliation. YES, I can give you examples and even some names, but I don't think this is the time nor the place.

Corruption is rife all over the world, but especially in Africa. No-one can dispute that. For those professionals who put in a honest days work, again I do appologise for the insult. I wish you the best in every way. I do however still feel the old cliche applies - "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link".

FREDA
7th Nov 2000, 03:33
Speaking from personal experience, I can confirm that the non-expat aviation industry in Nigeria is completely half-arsed. However, Nigeria is just one country. Airlines like Ethiopian, Kenyan and others are operated to international standards and are as safe as can be.

Africa is too big and diverse a place to make sweeping generalisations about what goes on there, particularly from the outside and to do so has the ring of racism.

HF8903
10th Nov 2000, 08:36
Kenyan Airways has had an exceptional safety record,I believe the dual engine failures were due to Birds or sandstorm(so ive read). This could have happened to anyone leaving the airport. The Kenyan 767 crash as was posted before crashed due to the captain fighting the terrorist.
Please dont put Africa down,many European carriers turn to Ethiopia for their 767 sim training.

Effendi
10th Nov 2000, 11:33
Sorry guys, didn't mean to start the third worlf war - I simply wondered what was happening here.
I want to know - and I'm sure passengers flying A310's would like to know - what caused this plane to crash. And it seems that the authorities, manufacturer etc remain uninterested.
Surely someone, somewhere has a responsibility to investigate. Seems to me at present it's a case of blame the pilot (without proof)and forget about it.
That's just not right and I hope someone - ICAO perhaps - gets a grip.

MileHi
15th Nov 2000, 00:12
FREDA,

You are correct, generalisations seldom cover all the players, regardless of the circles in which are made.

However, your last statement is derogrative and implies that Africans need to hide behind the colour of their skin when things don't go the way they should. Why is it that every time a negative comment is made which concerns Africa, or the native people of Africa, some bright spark has to come up with the RACISM deal? In the modern world its not about the colour of your skin, it is simply - CAN YOU DELIVER THE GOODS OR NOT. Racism is a stale line, a broken record come up with something better! It's the 21st century, if you can't take the heat (be you black, white, green or blue), get out the kitchen.

Effendi
15th Nov 2000, 01:43
Sorry guys, it's me again.
Can we bypass comments about race etc.
I'm trying to find out about a crash that killed over 150 passengers and crew. They were all humans.
Who is investigating this tragedy? Who is putting money into it?

Bushmeat
15th Nov 2000, 04:49
Effendi

I have just got some information about the Kenya airways catastrophe, It does not relate to the cause of the crash but has something to do with some senior NAA official in lagos.
Right now it is not all that clear and my source has no aviation knowledge, but I could
tell from his discussion with me he had something interesting concerning this particular flight.
Checking it out today and will e-mail you.

(By the way this particular official is no longer with NAA)

Regards

Bob Hawke
15th Nov 2000, 05:11
Bushmeat,

Can you check your email.

Regards,

Bob.

wizzflight
19th Nov 2000, 18:08
I already posted the version I heard on a different thread, but this is it again:

According to some guys the F/O retracted the slats instead of the landing gear. He had done this previously during a take off from LHR, but there the captain saved the aircraft by applying max power (and burning out two engines). After this incident the F/O received additional training, but that has not helped.

No idea if this is true or not, certainly hope it is not. I guess we'll have to wait for the accident investigation report to come out. Seems awfully quiet on that front. Is it Airbus or KQ trying to hide something, or is the report simply not completed due to a lack of resources?

punkalouver
29th Sep 2005, 17:11
The crash report on the Kenya Airways A-310 is available on the BEA French accident website. They have translated the report that the Ivory Coast board published in French.

Everything was normal on the takeoff roll until just after rotation when a false stall warning activated. The copilot pushed forward on the controls in reaction to the warning and descended from their maximum altitude of little more than 300 feet AGL in a continuous descent into the ocean. Automatic callouts by the aircraft were 300, 200, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. No GPWS callout was made because priority went to the stall warning and the overspeed warning which also sounded because they exceeded their maximum speed for their flap configuration.
The captain's(PNF) reaction after the stall warning sounded(The CVR has been translated from the LOCAL Swahili language.) consisted of two statements. After the stall warning started he said "uhooo", then after the 10 foot automated callout(24 seconds after the stall warning started), he said "go up"

http://www.bea-fr.org/docspa/2000/5y-n000130a/pdf/5y-n000130a.pdf

Goffel
29th Sep 2005, 18:56
A lot of peoples lives could have been saved had the authorities heeded the call for help.
Rescue crafts were stopped from leaving the harbour as the authorities did not believe the a/c had crashed into the sea.

Even when the a/c went off the radar screen,(at a height of 27 feet),they still refused to believe it.

The take off run was not normal as it ran for a very long time,far exceeding it's normal rotation point and then only just got airborne.

When the a/c hit the ocean,the landing gear was still out.

The only people to survive were the one's sitting in the back.

It was a total travesty of justice from the Ivory Coast authorities and the airport officials in refusing to believe an air crash had taken place.

This was one accident that was not an accident,but blatent pilot error.

I am sorry,but this is one crash that brings back horrid memories for me.
I hope to god I never witness this sort of thing again.