PDA

View Full Version : What IS a technical hitch?!

FWOF
30th Jul 2007, 09:05
Sat tired and a little stressed this morning (nervous PAX), flying out of Liverpool to Belfast, and was a little stressed when the pilot announced that he had to restart the planes power supply ... to reboot the computer! :eek: And I thought I read in my little book of calm that planes are nothing like home PC's and don't need to be switched on and off again to reboot anything?! :confused:

Was further unsettled when the captain announced that he 'thought they'd got the problem now' and we were just waiting for the navigation system to realign. I don't want him to THINK the problems solved, I want to know it is! :ooh:

I then noted we had no mid flight jolly from the flightdeck, which I missed.

I'm sure there was no enormous problem whatsoever, I'm not that silly, but it just goes to show how nervous an already nervous pax can get!! :sad:

FWOF
30th Jul 2007, 09:41
Thanks for that ... as I said, I know we wouldn't have moved off stand had there been something to worry about. It is as you say, a change from the normal procedure, which puts a nervoux pax's radar up.

I have to keep flying ... otherwise I can't get to work and I don't get paid! :)

Getoutofmygalley
30th Jul 2007, 15:51
Also you need to bear in mind that the flight from Liverpool to Belfast is really very short, so the flight crew most probably didn't have time for their 'mid flight jolly' as you put it. Pilots are only supposed to speak at certain times, and if they had reached top of descent before getting a chance to speak, then the airlines SOP's might forbid them for making the announcement.

The short nature of the Liverpool to Belfast flight means that you more or less start to descend as soon as you reach your cruising altitude, so there is more or less no chance for the guys at the front to speak.

I am guessing it was easyJet you flew with into BFS? Well, the good ol' bus does need to be powered down at time to correct minor problems, it is nothing to be concerned with - it's just an Airbus thing! :)

FWOF
30th Jul 2007, 16:07
Ahhhh but we ALWAYS get a midway update from the front, even on such a short journey, so it was noticeable by its absence.

And yes it was EZY and as a nervous pax I am full of praise for them and their service. And no, I haven't told them I'm nervous (cos I am less so now!). :ok:

Ooo, one small gripe though; why do they let enormously drunk Irish lads on every Friday and then continue to serve them booze? :confused:

Leezyjet
30th Jul 2007, 17:07
Sound like because of the delay, the chaps up front were trying to make up some time, which on a short sector isn't always possible, but in doing so, they ditched the "usual" mid flight p/a.

It really isn't a big deal anyway, on such a short hop I'd rather know the chaps were concentrating on the task in hand and listening to the radios, rather than yakking away to me in the back about what the weather is going to be like at destination which more than likely will be much the same as where we just left from.

:\

Evening Star
30th Jul 2007, 19:22
And I thought I read in my little book of calm that planes are nothing like home PC's and don't need to be switched on and off again to reboot anything?!

You mean, like this:

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-images/bluescreencockpit_01.jpg

:E:ok:

FWOF
31st Jul 2007, 07:55
Agree it's no big deal ... just giving my views as a nervous pax, that's all ...

Yikes ... now that pic would be a scary thought! :bored:

Ah well ... happy Tuesday! ;)