PDA

View Full Version : John Holland in Brisbane

Lubeit
30th Jul 2007, 00:50
I heard that John Holland has started operations in Brisbane. Are they doing Virgins overnight checks? Are there any employment opportunities? Has anyone worked for them under the new EBA and do they have any advice?

Thanks.

TheHoff
31st Jul 2007, 10:24
Hi Lubeit,
Haven't heard that rumour but would be very interested if true.

I was hoping Romulus could give us all an update on how things have been going with getting new contracts. I noticed that JH advertised for A320 Lame's last week for outstations. I assume it's for Tiger line maintenance. Can you provide details of what ports you will have guy's based at and the sort of numbers you are after.

Thanks

TheHoff
6th Aug 2007, 07:18
Hey Romulus, you about?

What's the latest with JH? Does anybody else have any news?

Thanks

Joston
6th Aug 2007, 09:33
Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I actually work for John Holland Water and there is an article on the intranet about the John Holland aviation division winning the contract to do maintenance for Tiger Airways. I'm not sure if any of you have heard about it. I will post the article tomorrow if you want.

I can't really comment on working conditions since I work for John Holland Water which is a different business unit to John Holland Aviation but I guess it would be sort of similar. I don't know of any vacancies at the very moment but can keep you updated.

Romulus
6th Aug 2007, 12:49
I heard that John Holland has started operations in Brisbane. Are they doing Virgins overnight checks?

More for OzJet Line Station than anything else.

Couldn't agree a price with Toll on JetCare

Are there any employment opportunities?

Never hurts to send a resume, I think we've been in the Australian aviation section more than a few times now.....

And apologies to anyone who hasn't received a reply, we're trying to work through them all but there has been (to us at least) a staggering response to the extent we're completely snowed under with applications, potential work, process improvements, accreditation applications etc.

All of which is great news in the long term but right now means we can be seen as somewhat insensitive and unresponsive for which I again apologise.

Has anyone worked for them under the new EBA and do they have any advice?

Um, I guess I may be a bit biased.....

:hmm:

Romulus
6th Aug 2007, 12:52
I actually work for John Holland Water and there is an article on the intranet about the John Holland aviation division winning the contract to do maintenance for Tiger Airways. I'm not sure if any of you have heard about it. I will post the article tomorrow if you want.

I can't really comment on working conditions since I work for John Holland Water which is a different business unit to John Holland Aviation but I guess it would be sort of similar. I don't know of any vacancies at the very moment but can keep you updated.

JHW - good division. Absolutely brilliant at alliance type contracting which currently has a great appeal to a market that is used to lump sum contracts and not much more in terms of pricing sophistication.

Selling people on the idea is much moire difficult of course, but once they see the benefits then there's no stopping them.

Bolty McBolt
7th Aug 2007, 06:38
Romulus

I have heard a rumour that you guys are bidding on the A380 maint project for QF..

Looking after single aisle jets A320/737 takes a fair amount of known resourses but a huge unknown like the A380...with 12 months before it arrives?
Care to elaborate ?

Romulus
7th Aug 2007, 09:56
Romulus

I have heard a rumour that you guys are bidding on the A380 maint project for QF..

Looking after single aisle jets A320/737 takes a fair amount of known resourses but a huge unknown like the A380...with 12 months before it arrives?
Care to elaborate ?

I am (if I may be so bold/conceited) the ultimate blue sky thinker and my boss has given me a mandate to be that way.

Anything out of the ordinary QF throw up I will look at. That's part of what we think we bring to the industry - fresh eyes.

Equally before we built the nuclear research reactor for ANSTO people said we had no idea about that either. But we researched it, we project managed the design phase right through to the final delivery. Same with a lot of our projects - we're now (I believe) the leading constructors of desalination plants and large scale traffic tunnels. And that's what we do - we're not experts ourselves (other than project management & contracting) but we know how to find the right people and listen to them and make things work.

That's our advantage and I intend to press it home to every potential client who wants a tier 1 aviation engineering company.

We have been told John Vincent told his team "John Holland don't do things by halves".

He's right.

Redstone
8th Aug 2007, 01:19
Romulus, sounds very inspired and all that...... but what of elaborating on the 380 project?

Bolty McBolt
8th Aug 2007, 03:12
Romulus
I have read many of your posts and enjoyed your frankness BUT

You lost me and I expect many others when you mentioned "John Vincent "
:yuk:

Redstone makes a good point where is yours?

Redstone
8th Aug 2007, 03:47
Bolty, one should not be so quick to judge. John Vincent is also an inspired man, one only has to take a casual glance at the Qf "strategy map" to confirm this. All very inspiring. :yuk:

Must say though Romulus no matter how big and blue your skys are, you will have to propose a very cheap price to Qantas supply chain to win the big bus over AMSA (and before you say it, yes.... these days Qf only look at price)

Bolty McBolt
8th Aug 2007, 04:48
Redstone

I had forgotten the pure genius of the "stratergy map"
but I think you have jumped the gun calling it the "QF" stratergy map as I believe the same tripe was served up at Ansett before JV moved to QF.
2 groups of engineers have had to cope with the uninspirational drivel carted around from company to company under the guise of management and leadership..:yuk:
If you want to see an excelent example of doing things by halves JV could be your man.

And that's what we do - we're not experts ourselves (other than project management & contracting) but we know how to find the right people and listen to them and make things work.
I am sure it pays to find out whom the right people are as we on the floor have seen much of it before and find it much harder to swallow the second time round... :yuk:

Redstone
8th Aug 2007, 06:18
but I think you have jumped the gun calling it the "QF" stratergy map as I believe the same tripe was served up at Ansett before JV moved to QF

You are quite correct Bolty, the mans pedegree had slipped my mind. Yes, infact a few of the ex Ansett boys were mortified when he trotted it out at Qf as it fairly closely preceeded their demise:eek:

I hope for your sake Romulus you have not been listening to JV, although he could show you how to wind your business up......

The Bungeyed Bandit
8th Aug 2007, 09:53
Hey Romulus, are you and Joston related?

R555C
8th Aug 2007, 13:40
Also interesting is that they are after SAAB 340 rated LAMES. My bet is that Tiger and Rex are doing something togeather in YBBN. Tiger a totaly new operator, with REX starting in QLD, would make sense to share resourses! It will be interesting to see what happens aroung the rest of the country!

Romulus
10th Aug 2007, 01:44
Bolty, one should not be so quick to judge. John Vincent is also an inspired man, one only has to take a casual glance at the Qf "strategy map" to confirm this. All very inspiring. :yuk:

Must say though Romulus no matter how big and blue your skys are, you will have to propose a very cheap price to Qantas supply chain to win the big bus over AMSA (and before you say it, yes.... these days Qf only look at price)

If I fight on price I lose, simple as that, so I agree with you that I cannot win that way. Equally Tiger, with all their Singapore connections, have gone with us for certain aspects of maintenance.

This has now been released with Tiger's consent:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22217540-23349,00.html

So airlines DO listen, we just have to build the case properly.

Really big heavy checks with tens of thousands of hours aregoing to be exceptionally difficult to win, no question. Equally the flexibile working arrangements the local team have given us is a major drawcard, to the extent it is the majority of what customers want to know about. They don't want to talk engineering, they know that the former AAES staff can deliver that to any required standard, what they want to know is how we are going to get their total costs down by meeting theirspecific needs as and when they arise.

Romulus
10th Aug 2007, 01:48
Romulus
I have read many of your posts and enjoyed your frankness BUT

You lost me and I expect many others when you mentioned "John Vincent "
:yuk:

I'm only repeating what I've been told the man said. I don't know him personally, I don't know him in a working environment so I can't commnent on the man.

But we are not here to lose.

That was my point.

Redstone makes a good point where is yours?

I'm not sure what Redstone's point was that I haven't answered.

In stright up terms we will chase ANY work that we believe we can win in Australia. I'm not going to waste time thinking I can win everything and writing pointless tender submissions, we will focus where we believe we have a competitive advantage.

Romulus
10th Aug 2007, 01:52
You are quite correct Bolty, the mans pedegree had slipped my mind. Yes, infact a few of the ex Ansett boys were mortified when he trotted it out at Qf as it fairly closely preceeded their demise:eek:

I hope for your sake Romulus you have not been listening to JV, although he could show you how to wind your business up......

We have our engineering based business plan, JV is obviously a key customer so we have to win him over to win work, nobody should be under any misconception about that. The plan is built around what we believe to be a successful engineering model elsewhere in a certified maintenance environment.

As I stated previously, I don't know the man personally so I can't (and even if I could I wouldn't) comment.

Romulus
10th Aug 2007, 01:54
Hey Romulus, are you and Joston related?

Can't say I know of Joston. In Australia I have a mother, two sisters, one grandmother, one uncle, one aunt, 2 cousins, 3 nieces.

If Joston is one of them then yes we are, but somehow I doubt it.

:)