PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Spare Seats

OZZI_PPL
29th Jul 2007, 23:39
As a low hour fresh PPL I'm looking at slowly broadening my horizons and flying to new places and experiences. I'd be keen to hear from anyone who might have a spare seat at some time that I can tag along with. I'd really like more experience in Class C and general controlled airspace work, as well as different aerodromes etc. I'd love to hitch a ride with someone more experienced and learn the ropes so to speak.

Can provide good conversation, cost sharing if required and a good sense of humour. :ok:

Ozzi

OZZI_PPL
28th Aug 2007, 05:31
Didnt get much response :)

Anyone got any other ideas?

Jabawocky
28th Aug 2007, 06:56
check your PM's

J:ok:

Howard Hughes
28th Aug 2007, 07:45
If you're ever down in Wollongong, I will be expecting a ride in your machine, thanks Jabawocky!;)

VH-BCY
29th Aug 2007, 04:24
OZZIE, I travel all over this great country of ours in my early model C210. Just got back from YBAF. You are more than welcome to come alone at any stage, however I operate from YWBN and don't get up north that often. If you have a CSU and retract endorsement, then you can fly the C210 in command and can pick you up from Sydney if you catch a cheap commercial down. I'm planning a trip to Perth for the Red Bull air race if you are interested. Best way to contact is via email at [email protected]. Always Airborne.:ok:

corowacomet
29th Aug 2007, 05:09
BCY: "....If you have a CSU and retract endorsement, then you can fly the C210 in command..."
Actually means: "....If you have cash you can pay for my trip too....."
OZZI_PPL what you want to do is a good idea if you are not confident but really your flight school should have covered it in the ppl syllabus.
I assume from this statement "....I'd love to hitch a ride with someone more experienced and learn the ropes so to speak...." that you would like to polish up on the CORRECT procedures rather than watch someone with more 'experience' fcuk it up? If this is the case I would suggest you avoid BCY and his quasi-flight school/cost sharing/charter/generally slack environment. Ask around at the school you learnt to fly at or another school in your area I'm sure there would be someone who would be interested. For further reference on BCY consult search page and type in 'ICUS Hr Building'. All the best with it though mate.
The Comet.

OZZI_PPL
29th Aug 2007, 06:07
Thanks for the replies, and the PMs i received. Comet, you summed it up pretty well, Im keen on learning how things are done in a more "everyday" evironment so to speak, not the pre-canned PPL nav stuff that I did. I only did one full stop landing on all my PPL navs! :rolleyes: Just want to build more confidence this way to spread my wings further in this great country :)

Ozzi

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Aug 2007, 06:12
"I only did one full stop landing on all my PPL navs!"

Oh my! You're jerk'n us, right? Tell me you are jerk'n us!

Dr :cool:

rotcivtolip
29th Aug 2007, 06:21
Surely that doesn't include the landings at your home airport!

OZZI_PPL
29th Aug 2007, 06:32
Sorry should have been more specific :O Just the one full stop on "a NAV". Heaps of home base full stops of course. Was a bit of a shame to visit all these nice places.......land.....then take off straight again.......

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Aug 2007, 07:59
"I only did one full stop landing on all my PPL navs!"

Had a look in the old log book.

PPL Navs:
Nav 1) Dual: YBAF-YGYM-YBAF (2 full stop landings)
Nav 2) Dual: YBAF-YSPE-YCAS-YBCG-YBBN-YBAF (5 full stop landings)
Nav 3) Dual: YBAF-YDAL-YBBN-YBAF (3 full stop landings)
Nav 4) Solo: YBAF-YMCY-YBAF (2 full stop landings)
Nav 5) Dual: 2 hr IF (2 full stop landings)
Nav 6) ICUS: YBAF-YKRY-YBBN-YBAF-YBBN-YTWB-YBAF (6 full stop landings)
Nav 7) Solo: YBAF-YBCG-YGDI-YBAF (3 full stop landings)

I make that 15 full-stop landings in addition to arriving back home. Always did full-stop and taxi in. Touch and goes are for dual circuit training!

Have training standards really deteriorated that much in 35 years?

Dr :cool:

OZZI_PPL
29th Aug 2007, 08:09
Have training standards really deteriorated that much in 35 years?
Makes me wonder. Just checked my logbook. Definitely just the one full stop, uncontrolled too. I remember asking an Instructor one day what the procedures were if I wanted to do a full stop at the Gold Coast and taxi in - their answer? "Not sure". Really helped me out at the time :ugh:

It really annoys me now that I want to get out and about more, I should have said something at the time.

Ozzi

corowacomet
29th Aug 2007, 08:56
OZZI that is truly scary I just checked my logbook and I have twelve all up ranging from a couple of farm strips to Class Cs with surface movement controllers, heavy jet traffic etc etc. It isn't your fault mate but you are right to be doing something about it. All the more reason to avoid VH-BCY!
Perhaps someone will have a better idea than me about what you should do but I would be asking for further training from the school to cover the sequences you are not happy with for FREE. (Not too sure how far you'll get with this!) Or maybe going somewhere else for more training at your expense.:{
Anyway mate you sound as though you have a few clues so I'm sure you'll get it sorted but I would definitely be approaching the school first and complaining long and loud. (Cue red faced man tearing into CFI and beating fist on reception desk in front of prospective students!)
The Comet.

Jabawocky
29th Aug 2007, 09:14
My Navs included stops at YBCG YBAF YTWB YBMC and plenty of others. SOme places require a start clearance others do not, how does an instructor teach by .....NOT SURE:eek:

J

Jack Sprat
29th Aug 2007, 22:36
It happens on this side of the ditch too. Just occurred to me that this might be one of the germs as to why there are so many ground incidents these days. Fewer pilots are being taught ground navigation so to speak. Another issue is the cost of landing at places requiring a bit of effort such as AA, CH or even WN. Where are landing fees published these days anyway?:rolleyes:

OZZI_PPL
30th Aug 2007, 01:00
Just started wondering about another thing. If I stop somewhere for half a day or something, how do I go with flight plans and SAR? Do I have to lodge in the morning and stick to the times in the flight plan, or can I "re-lodge" before departure after my stop?

Ozzi

No Further Requirements
30th Aug 2007, 02:19
OZZI - Best bet would be to plan for each leg individually. If you need to chage them down the track (like a DEP time slips by a few hours) ring/VHF/HF Flightwatch (where equipped :E) and have the times changed. Alternatively, do it airborne within VHF coverage before you land. ATC will take amended SARTIMES if you can't get Flightwatch.

Cheers,

NFR.