PDA

View Full Version : West Africa weather question

Romeo Tango
16th Jan 2001, 00:57
I'm in the early stages of organising a trip for a dozen or so UK light aircraft going to South Africa in 2003.
Route will be Egypt Sudan Kenya Tanzania Zambia etc or possibly via Djibuti.

I would like to know if there are any times of year that it is best to avoid weather wise. When is the ITCZ bad?

Any advice much appreciated.

Bill Hall (Robin Aiglon G-BIRT)

Romeo Tango
16th Jan 2001, 01:03
I suppose that should have been East Africa .....!

tired
16th Jan 2001, 13:50
If you fly down the length of Africa you're going to encounter the ITCZ somewhere along your route - it's not a seasonal thing, it just moves with the seasons, so it doesn't really matter what time of year you go. You are proabaly better off on the East Coast though, it genarally seems to be less violent than on the West side.

I think your problems will relate more to politics - getting clearances etc - and to the availabilty of Avgas than to the weather. Make sure you do your planning thouroughly. (Seeing as you're starting 2 years ahead of time, I guess you ARE being thourough :) ) Good luck and enjoy it, it should be quite a trip.

siggi-Iceland
16th Jan 2001, 17:36
I am, at the moment, planning a trip from Iceland to Ethiopia on a C-182p. I have gathered information about the route and I intend to leave Reykjav'k in about two to three weeks. I could get you a journey log and a list of potential problems as they pile up enroute. The African part will be Crete-(Alexandria)-Luxor-Khartoum(all IFR, mostly GPS). Then VFR into Addis, Ethiopia. We are going to have problems in Khartoum, so some work is being done concerning that leg. We use a company called OVERFLIGHT for permits. You can write me if you want to get an update on how the journey goes. I am also concerned with weather. I have heard that it is quite hazy all the way from Egypt to south Sudan. (www.overflight.co.uk) this is the web side for OVERFLIGHT.

siggi

Romeo Tango
16th Jan 2001, 20:22
Thanks Tired. I was hoping ITCZ is less active during certain seasons or when over drier regions.

siggi: I'll be very interested in your experience. I have been to Tanzania before but there was Avgas in Jeddah then so we went Luxor Jeddah Djibuti. I know Overflight well and have used them on several occasions. Good luck and let me know what happens!

Bill Hall

Angel`s Playmate
19th Jan 2001, 03:38
ITCZ is not much of a problem by this time of the year (northern winter),esp. on the EAST african route.

Vis. over Egypt-Sudan is well above CAVOK all the time.

In case you get lost or need a relay,all the big guys are on 126.9,in case you need them.

Good luck and enjoy the trip !!