PDA

View Full Version : security? (they should all be in straightjackets)

Loadshifta
16th Dec 2001, 01:05
Have recently read some instructions on what is and what is not allowed to be carried on aircraft.
Most of the restrictions are straightforward and sensible, but it then goes on to state that where crew have access to the baggage it may not contain any of the proscribed items! It also states that this also includes freight aircraft.
Unless I am mistaken even passenger aircraft that do not load baggage in containers have their holds accessable to the crew during walk-round for instance, which would mean that passenger baggage may not contain any of the offending articles. On freighters the crew often carry their baggage in the flight deck locker or in the vestibule behind the flight deck, this means that flight crew can no longer carry any sort of knife, screwdriver, snooker cue?, or even a razor (including safety razors). Does this mean that we will all now have to grow beards? or maybe airlines will set up shaving stations in the crew room.
Am I alone in thinking that the industry is going loopy over the security issue?
It would not require a scene like that out of Blazing Saddles if I decided to hi-jack my own aircraft. :confused:

hobie
16th Dec 2001, 01:35
you would like to think all crew members are above suspicion but I remember vaugely, an incident that I think involved a DC10 freigher .... a company employee (flight engineer) on a free ride, attacked the flying crew with a hammer with the intention of taking command and flying the aircraft into the companies headquaters ...... fortunately he was over powered but caused desperate injuries to both pilots ..... I think I'm right in saying that one of them never flew again ...... I remember feeling so sad that a fellow "Airman" could do such a thing .....

FL310
16th Dec 2001, 01:43
Loadshifta, if you would fly during daylight with punters than you would know that we all as crew have been robbed by these so called security off our nail-scissors, shavers etc...and this after the ground zero day.
Alternate arrangements and adopting an adequate attitude was the required change...strange that you come up with this more than 3 months after we all had our words about the situation.

Squawk 8888
16th Dec 2001, 07:03
Hobie, the nutter you're referring to wasn't flight crew, he was a company employee hitching a ride. The operator allowed all employees to take the jumpseat, space permitting. The guy worked in the warehouse, was intent on suicide and wanted to take a few lives in addition to his own.

pigboat
16th Dec 2001, 07:28
http://www.airlinepilots.com/Safety/FedExFlt705.pdf

hobie
16th Dec 2001, 10:30
the web add'y below gives some background to the case I had in mind .....
http://www.law.emory.edu/6circuit/june97/97a0184p.06.html

its not for the faint hearted, I'm afraid ....

AtlPax
16th Dec 2001, 21:04
A spear gun?? :confused:

FLARE DAMIT
16th Dec 2001, 22:13
:mad: Shaving saftey razors in your crew bag, lets get real. The DTLR are just knee jerk reactionist, after all its the pilot flying at 300kts into the ground or building that does the damage not a bloody shaving razor or a swiss pen-knife or a letterman multitool,or the cabin crews ice tongs. Its not true security its just to prevent litigation. As usual money first, all other considerations to follow. Not really much point in having a background security check , unless you've been reprimanded latley for doing yourself GBH shaving in the mornings. Ya just gotta laugh at our screwy world dont ya.