PDA

View Full Version : Cockpitweb & PILAPT Prep - Bobbins or not?!

justnick
29th Jul 2007, 11:22
Is it?! I mean, on the one hand you think preparation is the way forward and surely it cant hurt - and on the other hand, there are those who say "look, you've either got it or you haven't got it", so is it even worth investing the time? Never mind the £60 (or whatever they cost...)

Answers - I need ANSWERS!!! Anyone??

greywind
29th Jul 2007, 11:35
Personally I used the cockpitweb software and feel it helped me a lot.

I applied to CTC failed my aptitude the first time but got asked back because I was close to passing and then prepared the second time using the cockpitweb and I did a lot better and felt a lot more confortable.

However I would say if you are miles away from being able to pass then the software won't do too much for you but I did find it helpful.

EZYramper
29th Jul 2007, 13:46
Apparently familiarity with PILAPT only gets you an extra point of two on average.

I personally wouldn't bother. Instead, why not go for the GAPAN assessments? They are considerably more costly but you also get a debrief and advice from some people who have been and still are at the top of the aviation game, which for me was worth so much more then I paid.

I personally wouldn't bother buying the software, just make sure on the day you relax and you should perform to the best of your abilities. I also didn't buy the software because instead of just making sure I passed the test at any cost, I wanted them to tell me if I had the right aptitude so that I knew whether investing hundreds of thousands of pounds was worth it.

My advice is just chill, be relaxed yet alert. There is nothing on stage 2 that you need to worry about, stage 3 however....;)

Superpilot
29th Jul 2007, 20:35
I hate it when aviation recruitment toffs start telling you how good a pilot you're not going to be because you failed to keep the flaming red bars within tolerance!

The more accustomed you are to how things work for real the worse you are likely to do at a lot of these so-called hand/eye co-ordination tests. You should concentrate on not being bamboozled by the task at hand on the day. Both of the software packages mentioned help you prepare for the real tests because you simply build your confidence and know what to expect.

I marginally failed my first attempt at the PILAPTs and marginally passed the COMPASS tests, even though I have been hooked on flight sims since about 7 years old. PILAPT-Prep definitely prepared me for the real thing second time around. Money well spent.

justnick
30th Jul 2007, 09:46
Excellent. Thank you everyone for replying! Sounds like it's worth it, for the sake of confidence if nothing else - I think that would help me relax on the day more than anything. GAPAN has been a consideration for a while, i'm just such a miser and HATE spending money! (Do you think i'm getting into the wrong career path??!!!!!!!).

Thank again all.

justnick
30th Jul 2007, 11:59
Hi Rhys, thanks for posting. I have to say, that sounds like an absolutely cracking idea! I would never have thought of using another FTO to prepare - perfect solution.

As it happens FTE is my first choice - any further advice on prep for the Aptitude tests? I'd be really interested to hear how you rate the school?!

-N-

justnick
30th Jul 2007, 13:47
No problem - I thought you were already there! Best of luck when you go down...

RS999
1st Aug 2007, 19:55
I did my Pilapt test with CTC and failed it first time round but was invited back to resit. In between times I didn't use any of the above but, believe it or not, Microsoft Flight Simulator did help me. :ok:

What works for one person might not work for others though. :confused: