PDA

View Full Version : 43airschool

Eagle1
14th Jan 2001, 17:29
Anybody/everybody out there:

I'm looking for info/experiences concerning 43 airschool in Port Alfred, South Africa. I received some info from them, which looks pretty promising, but, of course, 'real time' info is always interesting. What I'm specifically interested in: does anybody know whether it's possible to convert a S.A. study visum in a S.A. working visum? Stories about instructor shortages are always nice to hear, but is it possible to stay (legally) in S.A. after finishing a course?
Anybody who has been there: let me know, on this forum or via e-mail!

FU22
14th Jan 2001, 20:30
Are you sure that you really want to work for Rands?

Eagle1
14th Jan 2001, 20:41
Hi FU22,

Can you be a bit clearer about your reply? Do you mean that a salary earnt in Rands is not much value in e.g. US Dollars? Or that existing FI jobs dont't pay much? Have you been at 43airschool or done any instructing in SA?
Hope to hear from you again!

LetsFetz
16th Jan 2001, 19:34
Don't think you'll go wrong with 43 ... nice setup, nice organisation, own base, own airport ...
you'll breath, eat, drink, sleep and live flying 24 hours a day ...
If you want to get it over and done with fast, they are probably your best bet ...

beware of the attitude however ... you'll find a lot of aspiring youngsters there who think the sun is shining out of there a*** and who see themselves as 747 captains already ... don't get dragged into that community ... just do your thing and focus on getting out of there and into a job from day one ...

Good luck and enjoy
LF

PS: the work-visa-part will be a hard one ... but possible ... you want it, you get it!!! ... just have to try hard enough ...

------------------
Let there be cold beers on a hot day !!!

[This message has been edited by LetsFetz (edited 16 January 2001).]

ROGER Co-J
18th Jan 2001, 21:24
Well said LetsFetz

A lot of spoilt rich kids but if one is focussed, it's the best school in Africa.

Did CPL and worked there for a cuople of years and learn't all I know there.Steve Goodrick is one hell of a guy.

Go For it!

Roger

Dirk
19th Jan 2001, 17:25
43 Air School is the place to go for your training.
Did my CPL there and have no regrets at all.
Just started flying up in deep dark Africa where the training/knowledge comes in very handy !!
Cheers
Dirk

wheels up
20th Jan 2001, 19:31
Finished off my commercial licence at 43rd and can back up what the others have said. From what I saw there training is really good and methodical and the facilities are excellent. A lot of the students choose to stay in Port Alfred which can work out very reasonable. Aircraft availability is also good since they have there own AMO.

I also got a bit p##d off with the ace pilot brigade with the rich daddies who thought that the sun shone out of there arses. Nevertheless, met some really nice people there including a number of foreigners.

Weather can be dicey at times but that should not affect you if you are not on a tight schedule.

And besides, there are some stunning beaches around Port Alfred and the beer is cheap.

Dirk
24th Jan 2001, 01:34
Hey wheels up
When did you finish at 43 ?
Finished there myself in November 2000.
Cheers
Dirk
[email protected]

Gunship
26th Jan 2001, 03:16
After 17 years in the Military and 5 years instruction - and used to top quality instruction I was VERY impressed with 43!
Luckily my kid hasn't got a rich father - so hopefully he will have a nice time too ! He will be enrolled in Jan 2002.

Tx 43 !
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
'n Koue Bier is nie 'n Bier sonder 'n Warm meisie nie !

Gunship
26th Jan 2001, 03:28
After 17 years in the Military and 5 years instruction - and used to top quality instruction I was VERY impressed with 43!
Luckily my kid hasn't got a rich father - so hopefully he will have a nice time too ! He will be enrolled in Jan 2002.

Tx 43 !
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
'n Koue Bier is nie 'n Bier sonder 'n Warm meisie nie !

dynamite dean
29th Jan 2001, 21:11
Did my twin cpl/ir and now about consider embarking on the turbine rating.
200000 rand 200 hours plus 300 turbine time
accom incl. fees etc.. lot og money but very worthwhile while. yes that was 300 hours I said!!!! and those sceptics that is the caravan i and II on your license !!!!

Skaz
31st Jan 2001, 15:24
Salary in Rand not muck worth in US Dollars?Hey man where have you been for the past 10years?Try R8 for 1$.
Did my CPL @ 43, am flying in Africa and intending to go back there in a few years to do Instructors and perhaps work for ol' Stevie G ! Only thing they might be lackin is an Instructors groundschool course.
The instructor they have for the CPL groundschool is an ex-SAAF mirage pilot and knows his stuff. Funny anecdotes as well.
Good structured training course, decent instructors (I know some of them personally), go Attie go!, well maintained a/c, own AMO on premises so maintenace gets done fairly quickly. Good atmosphere, yeah, you eat drink and sleep flying while you are there...unless you come from EL & get p&^^ed off when the okes ogle your chick and you wheelspin your brand new C180 daddy bought you, outta there.
You will get good training, make lifelong friends and go away with good memories.
I did.