PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Flight school is a Formidable task.

Eaag.
29th Jul 2007, 01:04
Helo. I Am From Guatemala. I would like to start my pilot training in USA in 2 months. I dont have any license. and I want to take a professional pilot program from zero to commercial with instrument and multi-engine ratings.

Choosing a good flight school is a Formidable task.
I want a good flight school because I want to become an airline pilot.

flight safety is a good school but it is expensive for me.

please Recommend me a flight school for professional flight training.

I have a list of flight school.

American Flyers in Dallas Forth Worth,
Delta Connection Academy.
ADF Airways.
Orlando Flight training.
Ormond beach Aviation.
Phoenix East Aviation.
Professional flight training. in Ft lauderdale,
Regional Airline Academy.
Kemper Aviation
Europe American Aviation.
West Wind.
Air Safety Academy

please recomend me A flight school.

Panama Jack
29th Jul 2007, 08:38
I have not heard of a few of these schools, however, I can tell you that from what I've known and heard about two of the schools, namely Westwind Aviation in Arizona and American Flyers, that I don't hold them in high regard. Of course things could have changed-- bad schools can go good, good schools can go bad, and some bad schools go out of business.

Because you are making such a significant investment, and because a number of these schools you have identified are in Florida, I would suggest paying them a visit to tour their facilities, talk to some of the staff and students, and draw some of your own conclusions. Air fares between Central America and Florida have dropped since the arrival of Spirit Airlines, and in any case, the cost of this will be a drop in the bucket compared to what you are about to spend. You are about to spend tens of thousands of dollars and you would never buy a car without first seeing it and asking a lot of questions, so why would you do so for a flying school? In the long run, it can save you a lot of money and regrets.

Because Guatemala also has such a relatively robust aviation scene, you should try to find other pilots, preferably younger, low-times ones (instead of gray-haired Captains)- instructors at flying schools, pilots at regional airlines, and First Officers at Grupo TACA, who might have gone through aviation training during the last few years for their insight. It is also a great way for you to start networking the industry to get information about opportunities once you do have your CPL.
When shopping for flight schools, be wary of some of the fantastic stories like-- 0 time to right seat in a Bombardier RJ in 8 months!

There is a good chance that, unless you are already eligible to work in the United States (you have Permanent Residence Status or are a US Citizen), that you will not be able to take advantage of some of these programs. Remember, recruiters and marketers for schools are sales people. You will see all the glossy pictures, pictures of good-looking "graduates" wearing white shirts, gold bars, and big grins walking to shiny jets out on the apron. Try not to let these images get to your head too much.

Another website that will become important to you (if you haven't looked at it already) is the one for the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil (http://www.dgacguate.com). A visit to their offices, in particular, their Sección de Licencias, for advice and input may be worth your while.

Suerte!

Eaag.
29th Jul 2007, 14:07
I am not a usa citizen. I am From Gautemala,

I have a Friend in Taca.
He is an instructor for grupo taca (Airbus A-320) and He work in Aeronautica Civil De Guatemala to. and he told me that many of the young pilots in Guatemala studied in Guatemala. sometimes they go to usa because they want to get a rating or a licence for example The ATP or Multi engine rating.

Panama Jack
29th Jul 2007, 17:41
I suggest keeping a close eye on the prices. Yes, I do believe that you can get quality instruction in Central America, and obviously your cost of living would be lower since you are at home. As far as getting your ATP some day, I am not certain, but I believe when the time comes you can do it through TACA when you are at TACA since they operate N-registered aircraft. If not, it is easy to do this as an add-on at some future point.

There is also a fairly well organized flying school in Panama called Albrook Flight School, that operates out of Marcos Gelabert Airport. Not sure of the tuition rates though. http://www.albrookflight.com/

Like any major purpose, it is worthwhile to shop around and get as much information as you possibly can.

SA4me
13th Aug 2007, 13:44
I currently work as an instructor in Florida and I have talked to many of the schools you have mentioned. The problem that you will find is trying to balance the price with the quality.

My goal was to finish quickly (4 months) and the school I went to was able to make it happen. There price is also quite reasonable. The name is Florida Aviation Academy in Pompano Beach Florida. The other schools you mentioned like Delta Connection, Regional Airline Academy, and the others are very good schools with quality education but you pay $20,000 or more than you have to. Pheonix East, American Fliers, and Kemper I have heard negative things about. ADF airways is based in Miami and is also a good school. It also has a lot of pilots that come from South and Central America to do conversions or training so it is a good place to meet people. Another school I didn't see on your list was ATP. There you do all of your training on muti-engine planes with a price that is not much higher than doing it all on single.

One thing you should think about though, is that the schools that offer fast paced programs are just that, fast paced. There is a lot of pressure to finish on time and quickly. There will be a lot of information to study and learn but if your goal is the airlines then that will be like the training you will do there. I definitely agree with Panama Jack go and talk to the schools and see the operation, and also talk to the students that you will see. They will convey their concerns or praise for the school. Finally, since you are Guatemalan you should start the process early to get your M-1 visa and your TSA (Transportation and Security Administration) clearance. Both are required to start training in the United States but you need to communicate with a school to get more information on that. Hope this information helps and feel free to PM me for more information.

B2N2
17th Aug 2007, 18:41
I didn't think that ATP accepts foreign students, they only take US nationals.