PDA

View Full Version : A ferry flight through Sudan!!! how difficult?

siggi-Iceland
13th Jan 2001, 01:41
I am using a company by the name of OVERFLIGHT based in the Isle of man to handle overflight and landing permits, as well as ground handling, in Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia. I was hoping to be able to bypass Sudan, but because of low range capability and fuel (avgas) shortage in the area, it looks like I am unable to do so and I do have longrange tanks fitted (50 gallons extra). The aircraft is TF (Icelandic) and the pilots are Icelandic citizens with ICAO icelandic licences and holding visas for Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia. Can anyone give an accurate picture of how dangerous the flight through Sudan is, we are landing and overnighting in KHARTOUM. Is there anyone here that has/is operated/operating in or through Sudan, low altitude flight? Does anyone have any contact numbers in Sudan? Thanks in advance guys.

PapaWemba
13th Jan 2001, 07:20
Flight through Karthoum is just fine, as long as you have relevant clearences(o'flight, etc, etc)Make sure to stay in the Hilton.Sudan is okay, no problem, just hide the Brennevin.......and hide it good.

Komba
13th Jan 2001, 12:58
Siggi,

There is a whole crowd of Rossair / King Air Services / Balmoral pilots in Khartoum, the WX is a bit dodgy at the moment. Can you make it from Khartoum to Lokichoggio in one hop? If so then you can refuel in Loki and O/N at Trackmark Camp.
Mail me for a contact.

Make sure that you have PRECISE instructions from HSSS ATC ref calling Malakal / Juba etc.

Good luck...

The Guvnor
14th Jan 2001, 00:28
Sudan is probably the most expensive country in the world to overfly. Still, unless you down the West Coast, there's not much choice!

siggi-Iceland
14th Jan 2001, 23:03
I thank you guys for the points that you have given me. I was worried about the Sudan part, being from europe where we are not used to political complications. Maby one day I, as well, can contribute to PPRUNE. I am going to deliver the Aircraft to a missionary in Ethiopia, so crossing into Loki will not be on the agenda, although I would have loved to see the Trackmark camp. I met Heather Stewart at Wilson in November and I must say she is a very nice person, even if she didnt have a job for me. How is it to fly VFR into Addis, from Khartoum? I figure I should make it in little over 6 hours. I am going to try to score some VFR charts in Khartoum or at least take a look at some. Thanks again and if anyone has any comments please dont hesitate.

The Guvnor
15th Jan 2001, 17:35
Give my love to Mother, Siggi! :) :) :)

siggi-Iceland
19th Jan 2001, 05:20
will do, mr. guvnor sir.

V1 Rotate
19th Jan 2001, 08:24
You need at least 6 eyeballs going into Addis. Put all your lights on and expect 4 different controllers on one frequency with loud chatter in the back ground. When you park your plane, beware of truck drivers who appear to be practicing for a Grand Prix!
Expect the immigration officials to be quite hostile. Stay in the Sheraton Addis. The main occupation in Addis is begging!
V1 Rotate

siggi-Iceland
19th Jan 2001, 21:29
Thanks for the tip, rotate. We are going to stay with this missionary who has been living for 10 years in Ethiopia and is pretty rusty on his pilot skills. He is going to use the aircraft in country on a TF register. I hear it took him two years to get the permits. He needs a refresher so I will be there with him getting him current on this and that. Density alt 10 000 feet and mountains. Sounds like a handfull. We have 175 gallons of fuel so we might make it from Aswan to Addis without landing in Sudan, which would be great. It is still a long flight.