PDA

View Full Version : new zealand license question

macflea
28th Jul 2007, 16:54
hi everbody,
when i did my ppl training in new zealand , the caa examiner signed the type rating section of my logbook as being rated on the c 152 for my ppl.
here in the uk once you get your jar ppl you can fly any single engine piston ,once you have being checked out by an instructer ,it might be just one lesson.
if i apply for tempoary faa license based on my new zealand license , legally i am only allowed to fly a cessna 152 in the states. thats what it says in chapter 29 of the faa rules.
my question is do i have to be checked out on lets say an piper warrier by a new zealand instructer in new zealand and have him or her sign off on this type rating for me to legally to fly a warrier in another country using my new zealand license?
for what i understand i would have to do 5 hours of training at all up max weight etc.
would it do to be signed off by a uk instructer.
cheers macflea

27/09
28th Jul 2007, 21:35
macflea

Yes individual aircraft type ratings (called endorsements in some jurisdictions) are required in New Zealand, though common sense can apply. e.g a rating on an RV6 (taildragger) would cover a RV6A (tricycle). The reverse would not apply, i.e. an RV6A covering an RV6.

I don't know what the requirements are in other countries. I would have thought that if you had another licence issued on the basis of your New Zealand one, the rules that appplied to that new licence would apply. e.g. you mention the UK where one SEP type rating covers all SEP aircraft, so therefore you would be typed on all those aircraft since you have a C152 type rating.

Is the rule you quote from the FAA regs talking about type ratings (endorsements) or ratings like an instrument or instructor rating?

To clear up one point. A type rating does not necessarily take 5 hours of flying for something like a Warrior. The legal minimum in New Zealand is 30 minutes. The student must also be competent so a freshly minted PPL who has only flown a C152 can expect more like two hours and perhaps longer to compete a type rating in something like a Warrior.

would it do to be signed off by a uk instructer

NO. In this situation a UK instructor cannot give instruction to some one with a New Zealand licence, unless he of course has a valid New Zealand instructor rating.

macflea
28th Jul 2007, 22:15
hi everbody,,

thanks for the reply, 27/09.all these rules and regulations can be a minefield.
I am slightly confused on this issue,so with my new zealand license being signed off for a cessna 152, i cant legally fly in the uk an arrow or warrier solo even if i am signed off by a uk instructor, am i right in saying that.

cheers macflea

Peter Fanelli
28th Jul 2007, 22:47
What FAA rules are you reading?
Part 29 deals with airworthiness.
FAA certificates do not specify types for single engine unless they require a type rating. Your FAA certificate will be for ASEL or Aircraft Single Engine Land.

macflea
28th Jul 2007, 23:49
hi peter,
faa chapter 29 "the issue of a tempoary us airman certificate on the basis of a foreign license". it would easier to google it than using the faa website.
cheers macflea

27/09
29th Jul 2007, 09:41
Have you converted your NZ licence to a UK or JAR PPL? If so you're good to go with your sign off with your UK instructor.

As I understand it you can only fly an aircraft of the same jusrisdiction as the licence you hold, i.e. NZ licence - NZ registered plane, UK licence UK registered plane etc.

If you have a UK licence then the UK instructor can type rate you on a UK registered plane. I don't think they can sign you of on a NZ PPL using their UK instructor rating.

I hope that's a bit clearer.