PDA

View Full Version : UK ATPL Exams

davey147
28th Jul 2007, 11:26
Would somebody recommend completing the 14 ATPL exams now, if I am not planning on doing the JAA CPL IR for another 2 years.

I ask this due to the new EASA authority, will these guys change the licensing system?

I dont want to start the ATPL's to find that in a year or so when I come to do the practical training, they actually mean nothing due to EASA requiring something else.

BlueRobin
28th Jul 2007, 15:54
Depends on your personal circumstances.

You have iirc 36 months/3 years to complete the IR and CPL from passing all the ATPL theory exams.

You should plan out how long you expect to spend on ATPL theory, e.g. perhaps 6 months full-time. Then plan how long the CPL and IR will take - don't count solely on minimums! I'd suggest 3-4 months in total, maybe 5-6 if you are in a busy yet disorganised school. Also when will you be giving up work, if at all?

If you do start the present JAR-flavour ATPL theory *and* there are syllabus changes bought about my EASA once they take up FCL, then there will probably be provision to carry your through the JAR syllabus and exams until completion. In brief, don't worry about this being a factor.

potkettleblack
28th Jul 2007, 20:27
I suggest you read fully Section J of LASORS as the advice given above is only partially correct. It will spell out clearly how long your credits last, what licence or rating you need to get within what time frame and amongst other things the number of sittings and attempts at each paper that you will have. This should be required reading for any wannabee and you should know the pertinent bits off by heart so you are not caught short. On my brush up courses there were always guys sailing close to the wind that hadn't a clue of the administrative side of the game. LASORS can be downloaded off the CAA website and a quick search will reveal all.

BlueRobin
28th Jul 2007, 21:04
So you are contending " You have iirc 36 months/3 years to complete the IR and CPL from passing all the ATPL theory exams." this bit are you?

wbryce
28th Jul 2007, 22:57
doing the ATPLs requries a healthy commitment with lots and lots of study with many frustrating days! doing them 2 years before you plan to do the CPL/IR would only be depressing!

davey147
29th Jul 2007, 11:10
Why would it?

wbryce
29th Jul 2007, 13:44
2 years down the line after you've forgotten everything your then going to do the CPL/IR which requires the use of that knowledge (aswell as interviews)...theres the less hard way and the hard way, its your choice so do what you want, im only giving you my opinion.

davey147
29th Jul 2007, 14:06
Yes I did guess that may be a problem, but the thing is that I have 8 - 9 months spare at the moment where work is quiet, so I wanted to get them done now. Basically I cannot afford to do the practical training now, so ill have to save up for a few years. So I thought id do the theory course whilst im quiet.

What I was asking is if the exams would be useless when EASA takes over, which I guess will be within the next 3 years.

FLCH
29th Jul 2007, 15:06
By the way did anyone happen to mention the FAA exams are a joke compared to the JAR exams ? Well I thought I'd mention it as it was bound to pop up !! Good luck with you exams !!

davey147
29th Jul 2007, 15:09
Yea thanks for that. :}

Turbine King
29th Jul 2007, 15:56
EASA won't stop you

get them done!