PDA

View Full Version : Can a PPL(A) undertake the JAA ATPL(H) exams?

G-HALE
28th Jul 2007, 11:18
Can a PPL(A) undertake the JAA ATPL(H) theroy course and exams???

Ewe Turn
28th Jul 2007, 16:07
Hi
I have a CPL(H) and wanted to do the fixed wing Principles of Flight and Performance paper when I did my JAA ATPL(H) exams.
The CAA said I was unable to do this until I had a PPL(A) so I suggest the answer to your question is no.

BlueRobin
28th Jul 2007, 17:19
LASORS explicitly states for the ATPL(H) Modular Theoretical Knowledge Course

"An applicant shall be the holder of a PPL(H) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1"

However I gather there is an element of cross-crediting if you go from ATPL(A) theory to ATPL(H) theory and vice versa. You of course still need to have done that PPL first though, where of course there is some more crediting.

pilotmike
28th Jul 2007, 18:11
Exactly as BlueRobin states.

There are 12 exams which are common to both ATPL(A) and ATPL(H). There are a further 2 which are specific to Aeroplanes (14 total), and 1 which is specific to Rotary (13 total). So you can sit 15 to cover both ATPL(A) and ATPL(H).

G-HALE
28th Jul 2007, 21:24
Thanks for the replys guys.
So, I can do the 12 ATPL (A) exams, then go off and get my ICAO PPL(H) and sit the 13th POF heli ATPL exam and im flying as they say :O :ok:

pilotmike
28th Jul 2007, 22:05
Unfortunately, it's not quite as clear cut as that. As with all things 'aviation' and 'CAA', the rules are so complicated, there is always room for interpretation and there are grey areas.

As far as I understand it, if you decided that you were going to study the 14 exams for aeroplanes (or even just the 12 which are pertinent to ATPL(H)), as you are entitled and qualified to do with your PPL(A), you would be awarded a certificate for the 14 exams "...for the GB airline transport pilot's licence, aeroplanes". If in the meantime you completed a PPL(H), changed your mind and wanted them re-issued as "...for the GB airline transport pilot's licence, helicopters and gyroplanes", the CAA would oblige, at a price... as ever. Then, you'd have to sit the remaining 'Principles of Flight, Helicopters', and you'd be home and dry - or 'flying', as you say!

This fits with the advice that Ewe Turn offered.

But please check this before committing yourself. I did both sets of ATPL exams, and it worked something like that for me, although I didn't change my mind - I completed all 15 exams, and qualified as both CPL(A) and CPL(H) to fly both aeroplanes and helicopters commercially.