PDA

View Full Version : Buying heli headsets from the US for use in the UK.

dwoodwar
27th Jul 2007, 21:34
All,

Given the current GBP / US Dollar exchange rate, I have been considering purchasing a Bose Aviation X (Heli) headset from a US internet vendor.

The issue that I have is that I am looking for a headset suitable for Robinson heli's in the UK. That means that it needs a single NATO style plug. Sporty's and PilotShop do not appear to stock such items.

Does anybody know of a reputable US source that would be suitable for use in the UK.

Thanks.

Dave.

miket_68
27th Jul 2007, 22:39
I have used www.marvgolden.com to purchase my Dave Clark 56. This was about 4 months ago when the $ wasnt as bad but I still managed to save over £80 on a brand new headset. Not sure of the fitment but £30 for an adaptor from transair should do it. A couple of the students at Sloanes use Bose headsets in the R44 there without any problems.

Mike

Gomer Pylot
28th Jul 2007, 00:50
Sporty's is the highest priced place you can find. I buy nothing there. Marv Golden has more reasonable prices.

lartsa
28th Jul 2007, 08:00
ive used http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/contact_us.asp for bose headsets they are lots cheaper than the uk suppliers

rotorboater
28th Jul 2007, 08:30
Buy them in the US & have them delivered to a friends house who lives out of the state you buy from or to your hotel & then there is no state tax & then bring them back to the UK - easy but try ;) not to forget to declare it to the customs & pay the 17.5% vat.

If you have your friend send it in the post, make sure they declare its a gift or the postman will want the VAT and £8 for the privaledge of collecting the money of you.

Of course I never bought mine this way!;)

dwoodwar
29th Jul 2007, 20:40
Mike,

Do you know if the R44 pilots at Sloanes bought their headsets from the US. I know that Bose sets work in the UK but assume they are naturally supplied with the NATO jack here unlike US sets.

Cheers.

Dave.

500e
29th Jul 2007, 21:07
Don't Bose Supply what you order? at the price they charge I would think they would supply any plug you asked for.
Try "Pilot", order cord with whatever you require it plugs into head set, so if you fly planks just get another cord. built in rechargeable batteries we have 4 in a 500 and find them OK.
This is a UK agent
http://www.talkingheadsets.co.uk/products/hsetcat.php?prodtype=Headset&category=Aviation%20Headsets&s=1