PDA

View Full Version : Getting into SAFAIR?

Skybiter
23rd Jul 2000, 12:01
Greetings

Any one got a magic recipe to get into Safair? They have the world's largest collection of my CVs and so far no bites. Perhaps I'm not sacrificing enough virgins...

The Actuator
23rd Jul 2000, 23:03
Why on earth would you want to?

Yossarian
24th Jul 2000, 16:45
Sacrifice virgins? or get into Safair?

Whooaahh
28th Jul 2000, 15:59
Rumour has it Safair it to get a whole heap of Ex. SAA B737-200's when the -800's are delivered.

From what I have heard, they will then be wet-leased back to SAA, so their may be an opening for 737-200 rated drivers at Safair in the near future.

Any one else heard this one?

Whooaahh!!!

The Guvnor
28th Jul 2000, 21:34
Rumour is absolutely correct - remember Safair is now owned by Imperial Group (as in Imperial Car Rental) and they are big time into aircraft leasing. Most of those aircraft tend to get leased out on an ACMI basis; so I'd agree with you that there should be some openings shortly.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

The Ant
29th Jul 2000, 09:54
That deal went through over a month ago. SAFAIR are presently the owners of all of SAA's B737-244s!!! 500 million was the price tag. Furthermore they have been leased back to SAA for five years guarenteed. SAFAIR therefore will recoup their initial expenditure and win all round. SAA end up with a lot of money on the balance sheet, short term, this makes Coleman Andrews look good but SAA no longer have the assets, and is fast becoming an empty shell with no substance but pieces of paper.

Skybiter
29th Jul 2000, 10:51
Spoke to a person at SAA who told me that under no circumstances would they allow non SAA crew to fly their aircraft and that the crews for the lease back 737s would all be SAA staff. This kind of puts the brakes on any thoughts of getting into SAFAIR as 737 crew so I guess it's back to the drawing board for me. Ah well, at least it keeps me busy and out of trouble filling in all those CVs...............

DownIn3Green
30th Jul 2000, 07:54
I've worked contract for SAFAIR in the past, (very distant circa 1996) and found them reliable and on time with the cash.

And that's with an FAA ATP and type on the 727.

Of course it was only for a month, but I've been invited to stop in for a chat any time I find myself "passing through".

How does one "pass through" South Africa anyway? Strictly because of it's geographical location aren't you either going there or leaving there?

Cardinal Puff
7th Aug 2000, 19:06
Try calling Kevin Rogers, their chief pilot. My CV landed on his desk and I got a letter from them saying I didn't have the required hours. At least they had the decency to answer me. Good luck!

Wiz
7th Aug 2000, 20:04
Yossarian - nice handle. Do you see everything twice?

Yossarian
8th Aug 2000, 11:31
There was only one catch.....and that was....

Wiz
8th Aug 2000, 19:59
'Nuf said. Sorry if that was a bit off the topic...

The Ant
9th Aug 2000, 13:42
While SAA are leasing the B737's from SAFAIR, only SAA crew will fly them. But five years from now, when the lease expires and the aircraft are returned to SAFAIR, somebody will have to fly them! SAA's crew will be flying the 737-800's.