PDA

View Full Version : Nigeria Airways Resumes Own Aircraft Ops on LOS-LON

The Guvnor
5th Jan 2001, 20:03
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Nigeria Airways Resumes Operations On Lagos-London Route

Vanguard Daily (Lagos)
January 4, 2001

By Ikechukwu Eze
Lagos

Nigeria Airways Tuesday resumed the operation of its own flight on the Lagos-London route, five years after debt and other operational
problems forced it to abandon the route.

The national carrier has also concluded arrangement to return to the Dubai route by January 10 this year.

Nigeria Airways Public Affairs Manager, Mr. Chris Aligbe who broke he news of this development said:

"We have effectively commenced our twice weekly flight to London. We will fly every Tuesday and Friday. On Tuesday the departure
out of Lagos will be in the morning, on Friday it will be at night."

He said further that the Nigeria Airways plans to open the Abuja route with a scheduled that enables the airline to pick passengers
from the new federal capital.

Said Aligbe: "we want to open up the Abuja route. We pick up passengers at Lagos and also take the ones at Abuja. This will cover
passengers from all parts of the country "we want to cut off the problems passengers go through coming to Lagos from Abuja."

On the Dubai route he said: "The Dubai route will start on the 10th of January. It was in operation before but we had an engine
problem with the DC-10 jet we were using to service the two routes."

Vanguard learnt that Nigeria Airways could be operating the two routes with a DC-10 aircraft leased from a French firm.

The national carrier abandoned the London route about five years ago following accumulated debts which placed its aircraft at the risk
of being confiscated by its numerous creditors.

The airline has however paid some of these debts and re-negotiated others as a result of the present government's efforts to pull it out
of the doldrums, making it possible for Airways to operate the route again.

Vanguard gathered that the need for the airline to operate its own flight to London became necessary, more so as its renewed joint
venture operation with British Airways on the route expires this month </font>

Boss Raptor
6th Jan 2001, 14:27
Good to see them back but although the major creditors have been settled, HSBC/Equator, BAA etc. I believe that there are still minor creditors prowling around LHR waiting for an opportunity...and others who did not pursue their claims but now will!

Engineer
6th Jan 2001, 19:12
Is the French firm mentioned Skyjet Inc by any chance with DC10-15s?

Is the link with BA cancelled and what is the latest on the JFK route with SAA?

Look like interesting times ahead for Nigeria Airways Hope they don't mess up Could be the big shake up in West Africa and ramification on Ghana Airways Watch this space http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Flying_Steph
6th Jan 2001, 19:45
If it's REALLY French, there's no way it could be Skyjet. They don't even have a French AOC, although they tried really hard...

Engineer, don't you have "C.W." as initials ??? ;)

[This message has been edited by Flying_Steph (edited 06 January 2001).]

Flying_Steph
10th Jan 2001, 02:19
I can confirm the info: the "French firm" is actually Skyjet Inc.

Bushmeat
16th Jan 2001, 01:58
Wow you guys are on top of everything, I see you dont waste anytime on this website.

As his excellency the right honourable Guvnor of pprune has informed you Airways is back. Well will see your Excellency, its early dont you think!

I have always tried to stay clear from making comments concerning Airways and specifically about those at the helm of its affairs, the reasons which unfortunately I will not state here.

But its funny you know for once I see, or maybe I should say we have a minister in charge of aviation in Nigeria, who actually wants to pay of depts and even acquire aircrafts for the National Airline, brave lady indeed.

I have met this Lady briefly recently and was very much shocked at what she had learned in this short time she has been in this business and the ministry, and her plans for the airline, idle local pilots and aviation in general in Nigeria and what kind of input she feels she could do to help get the flying elephant at least back in the air for the period she holds that office and the kind people and companies she would like to bring in to help and most surprising the challenges she faces from potential saboteurs :mad:still lurking around with scams that have benefitted them with millions of dollars owned by airways pocketed by them and eventually leading to the total downfall of airways.

So yes it does look like interesting and maybe exciting times ahead for airways, and if I might add here for so many of our boys here who like we all do in this profession, love so much to fly and have been deprieved of this for such a long time.

I think we have an IRON LADY in airways now.

By the way your Excellency any plans on returning to Lagos.

The Guvnor
16th Jan 2001, 14:24
Hi Bushmeat! I think that the tenure of the current MD at Airways will be very short lived - he has been caught out by the lady Minister in many lies (especially about one of the former MDs, Capt Joji) - and furthermore he seems to be mainly interested in feathering his nest. Perhaps you should ask Skyjet why the WT lease is costing 25% more than market rates? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif Where is all that extra money going? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif Also, how much 'commission' is he getting from LH - his former employer - for passing lucrative contracts their way?

Personally, I think WT should be allowed to curl up and die with some dignity - and then have a private carrier on the routes. At least that way th poor Nigerian taxpayer won't be constantly taken for a ride by all these 419ers!!

Not too sure when I will be back in LOS - I hear that things have improved greatly and I'd certainly like to contribute to getting things back on a level keel if I can. I have many friends down there, and as you know I have a history there going back to the 1970s, so for me Nigeria remains a part of my soul!

Flying_Steph
16th Jan 2001, 14:41
I don't know if this is related to your question Guvnor, but the Skyjet flightcrews said recently that their company bought a DC10-30 from AOM and that SKJ and Airways are both willing to put Nigerian crews in it ASAP. A bit like the wet- and then dry-lease with Ghana Airways, I guess... (which also brought A LOT of $$$$$$$$$ to SKJ)
;)

By the way, who does the Nigerian Haj this year ?

Ex NAV
16th Jan 2001, 23:03
To confirm - Current ops by SKYJET with a DC10-15 Reg: V2-SKY. 2 Flts a week to LHR (Tues and Sat)and DXB and JED. Did not ops to JED on 10th. Not sure why.

Boss Raptor
18th Jan 2001, 19:19
Further to my earlier posting I now understand that HSBC are still owed a balance in the region of $12 million...hence the reason the LHR service is being run by a Skyjet aircraft as the WT DC10 would no doubt be seized (again)...

Just out of interest a few figures from the recent national report/investigation on WT;

In January 1992 WT had an operating debt of $150 million, local creditors totalling N170,844,476 ($11 million) and capital indebtedness estimated at US $400 million

In one particularly notable example, the purchase of the A310's (in 1984 at $141 million)...

'Since the purchase of these aircraft in 1984 no payment had been made which appeared in Nigeria Airways records. By 1988 the accrued principal plus interest payment amounted to $239 million'!!!

The Guvnor
18th Jan 2001, 20:52
Obviously WT must have bought the A310s on someone's VISA card at these interest rates!

I wonder who got the chop at Airbus for that - letting aircraft go to Nigeria without payment in full, in cash, and in advance of the aircraft leaving TLS?

Boss Raptor
18th Jan 2001, 21:38
A310 purchase was guaranteed by Coface (France), ECGD (UK), Hermes (Germany) and IMB (Nigeria)...as in most new aircraft sales to less attractive credits the debt is always underwritten by these quasi-national bodies...the same facility is also used by Boeing (and it costs quite a high percentage as well)!

The irony is that WT's first pair of DC10's were actually paid cash...indicating the level of revenue the Nigerian government had even in the 70's!

Flying_Steph
19th Jan 2001, 22:09
Sorry if I interrupt here, but what's HSBC ? A bank ? Anything related to LHR ? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

By the way, I find extremely funny to see that WT is apparently using SKJ to avoid a seizure in LHR because the Nigerians seized a SKJ aircraft and held SKJ crews as hostage a few years ago ! :)

Boss Raptor
19th Jan 2001, 23:35
HSBC Bank (Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank - Equator Bank as was) and Japan Leasing - financiers of Nigeria Airways last DC10, the last ever made...and whom I believe continue to have an open warrant from the UK courts to seize WT assets in lieu of debt (they have previously taken all WT houses in London and sequestrated their UK bank accounts).

As Skyjet and/or any other third party operator running for WT cannot be attached but the WT DC10 could then this maybe why they are allocating the SKJ aircraft to the London route not their own...

Looks like Skyjet may have problems as if you say Steph WT are not adverse to taking such action against their contractors!

[This message has been edited by Boss Raptor (edited 20 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Boss Raptor (edited 20 January 2001).]

Bushmeat
21st Jan 2001, 16:06
Your Excellency,

Just had the time to log in this morning, been away for a few days in and out of the Central African Region, you might have heard things have taken a new turn again in that region.

Guv, you know I cannot answer your posting about him and her and the other but,

This might just interest you!

Nigerian Government has decided to press ahead with the partial privatisation of the state owned airline.
Re-launch operations will begin under a new brand name with a clean slate approach.
It hopes to complete the process by june at which point all staff, aircraft and air service licences will be transferred to the new national venture.

Oh yes things are improving in the aviation community, a few new airlines have appeared and also bit more aeroplanes in the country, its easy to notice new traffic around Abuja, Lagos and Kaduna, its nice to have some company been too quiet, I think its been very bouyant since this Government took charge, and I think I can confidently say you will not need your SSS card this time if you plan on a visit.

Life is a delicious Pot of Bushmeat.

Eurostar
22nd Jan 2001, 04:00
Dear Guvnor,

Bellview's A300-600 was reposessed by Ansett Leasing. Kabo's 747's are rotting away in Mojave, and ADC is clinically dead. Albarka's BAe 1-11 love affair is an old story but I fail to see how they would finance the New York route, which they want to operate.

With the present situation in the Nigerian private airline industry, I think it's urealistic to expect any carrier to come up with a feasible, sustainable long-haul route network. This is on the short run.

Although I agree with you that WT is beyond redemption (being an international laughing stock), I believe liquidation is premature.
Obasanjo fas failed the national carrier. He has not decided on any masterplan for the airline (Why was IFC invited then???). This is dangerous and works against his image-clean up plans for the country.
He needs to pump-in money now. The carrier is the only national airline in the world that doesn't have a website!
His beloved Chikwe was bragging about the 310 spare that were recently recovered from SABENA but she hasn't announced any plans to actually reactivate the equipment to fly all those regional African services abandoned by WT for years.

I think Ghana Airways should take over WT management for some months leading to privatization. Yomi did a lousy job so far, because the airline is still perceived as a destructive interest, avoided by everybody (except BA which did profiteer from its master-slave relationship with Nigeria Airwaste, and others who have 419ers inside).

About that SKJ DC-10 V2-SKY, do you know if it's painted in WT colors?

For the sake of Nigerians everywhere, Obasanjo should:
1- check the "glorified travel agent" reputation of WT and suspend its abusive relationships with BA, SAA.
2- Deregulate all international routes. Set clear conditions for the operation of every route (take Taiwan as a good example).
3- Ensure WT regains membership /IATA C.H.
4- completely re-brand WT, I would even suggest changing the IATA code!

Regards,

------------------
Visit our virtual airline Eurostar Aviation
http://www.eurostar-aviation.ch

[This message has been edited by Eurostar (edited 22 January 2001).]

Flying_Steph
23rd Jan 2001, 00:33
'Seems the following weeks might be "entertaining" because the SKJ DC10 V2-SKY is going to JED by the end of the week for the Haj with Saudia.

To replace it on the WT routes, SKJ called Greek sister-company Electra to the rescue. Another DC10 (SX-CVP) flew to LHR recently, but it is said that there are not enough Greek flightcrews with a proper line-training / line-check so far... No doubt time will solve the problem, but this aircraft will also do the Haj later on. SKJ still has an airplane somewhere in Brazil but nobody left to fly it.

Wait and see...

(it's incredible what you can learn for the price of a few beers, isn't ?)
;) ;) ;)