PDA

View Full Version : PPL(h) in South Africa

Usurper22
27th Jul 2007, 00:08
I was looking for some advice on doing a PPL(h) in South Africa. I have been considering two schools in Port Elizabeth:

"Helicopter Charter and Training" run by John Huddlestone,

and "Helicopter Pilot Training Centre" connected with Aptrac Aviation.

Does anyone know anything about these schools?

Main reason I'm looking at them is that there the cheapest, would I be better off paying the extra money for NAC Helicopters or LANSERIA Flight Centre?

Thansk Alot,
U22:ok:

JetPark
27th Jul 2007, 06:12
Get hold of HELI who operate out of Cape Town International Airport. It is run by a CAA designated examiner and who is one of the best helicopter instructors in South Africa. I use the facility in which they are located from time to time and they run a very professional outfit. I have no contact details but perhaps you can just "google" the name and take it from there.

Chopper 1
27th Jul 2007, 10:14
Base 4 in Cape Town very good.Look out for instrucor Frank, an old timer with lots of time in helos. Pricing is copetitive. Chopper 1

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Jul 2007, 13:49
Salease at Wonderboom, Pretoria.

KeithO
28th Jul 2007, 19:30
Unless things have changed very recently Salease only operates/trains on Enstrom m/cs. More expensive than the good old R22, and, in some ways much harder to handle ab intio, in that neither the Falcon nor Shark have a governor. They are more stable though, and some would argue "safer" (better hot & high performance than the Robbie, and 3-bladed main rotor).

Wonderboom is a bit in the sticks, so unless you have a car you would be a little isolated - that said there is accom at the airport, and Giovannis is a great airport restuarant. (To be fair if you're going to be in RSA for any length of time you'll need a private car - public transport (at least any on which you can safely travel) is non-existent).

So that's the sensible comments, but the over-riding fact for me to vote against Salease would be the CFI Keith Smith - he has the people skills of Attila the Hun, and is as mad as a march hare!(personal opinion of course)

You pays yer money and takes your choice, but I would DEFINITELY speak to Henley Air at Rand Airport (R22/44 & 206) owner/CFI Andre Coetzee - great school, very well run, good field to train at.

I'm a Brit (resident in Joburg) and did my PPL (H) in RSA, so feel free to drop me an email. (I also edited a local aviation mag, so probably have a reasonably broad view of the scene)